Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrisser, Nov 24, 2011.

1. chrisser

chrisser

So I was at Dad's for Turkey Day...

He's got a pile of scrap in the trailer ready to go to the scrap yard. Part of it is some nailhead parts. There's a set of heads he picked up somewhere that water got into the chambers - some rust in a few chambers and on some valves. Also has some exhaust manifolds and an oil pan that seem to be in good condition. Maybe a few other odds and ends.

I'm not all that familiar with Nailheads and he doesn't have a car to go with them so they're just in his way.

Is this stuff worth trying to save and sell and is there a way to determine what parts are worth more than scrap or are all nailhead parts worth saving? He wants them gone, and sad to say it's easier to just scrap them for definite money rather than going through the hassle of putting them on Craigslist or ebay and dealing with potential buyers. I thought if they were worth saving maybe I'd run over there with a camera and post some pics in the classifieds. I might be able to appeal to his inner gearhead if they'll go somewhere they're wanted.

2. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

It depends on what year the engine is. If they are 1956 322 heads they have a little value as they are a one year only chamber.
    If they are 57-66 and the oil pan is a rear sump it is worth keeping.
    They would have some value no matter what year but not too much as shipping would be insane and other year heads are pretty common and can usually be bought locally for less than shipping accross the country.
    However, if by some remote chance the heads are the factory 'D' port heads, the heads and manifold would be worth quite a bit.
    Pics would help but as a basis, round exhaust ports are 53-56 322 or 264CI. rectangular ports would be 57-66 364 401 425. the 'D' ports are rectangular with strange porting toward the upper bolt holes.