Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead Fuel Pump Interchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3spd, Oct 17, 2010.

1. 3spd

3spd

I need to either rebuild or replace the fuel pump on my '55 Buick 322 nailhead. I know I can get a rebuilt one off ebay for ~$100 or buy a kit from Bob's Automobilia for ~$80. I found http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1958-65-Buick-Nailhead-V8-Fuel-Pump,41728.html , is there a way I could modify the speedway one to work? Does anyone know the difference between '55 fuel pumps and '58 pumps? From what I hear 401's and 322's used the same fuel pumps.

Thanks,
    Ryland

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

My regular parts store gets me Nailhead fuel pumps no problem. No need to order them. Not sure if the 401/425 ones will work on the 322, I don't mess with the 322's much.

3. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a new one for reasonable $ , last year for my 401. It was from either Falcon Global (E-Bay) vintage engine parts supplier. Or it came from TA Performance in Pheonix .(Buick perf. parts ). I can find the reciet on Mon. if you want.

4. jrlemke

jrlemke

The 322 pump is a dual diaphram (vacuum/fuel) pump. the 364 and later pumps are single diaphram pumps. They will not interchange. You can use a 364 up timing cover with the later water pump and fuel pump tho! The water pumps are easier to find also. If I remember right, the early covers are cast iron and the later ones are all aluminum. the c.i. ones have two locating pins the alum. ones have only one pin. Use care lining it up, otherwise it works great. I've had one on my 322 for around 25 years with no leaks. -Jim

5. SteveClary

SteveClary

I would like to revisit this subject. I have a 56 Century with the 322 nail head. I currently use an electric wiper motor and want to use a single purpose fuel pump to get away from the high cost involved on rebuilding/buying the original pump. What pump can I use for this application? Is there one that I can maybe switch out the arm and move forward?