Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical N. north Texas differential work needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas57, Sep 13, 2015.

1. I'm looking for a good shop to rebuild/modify the 9" rear end for my '57 Ford. I'm looking for a shop that specializes in this, not someone who did one once. I need the case shortened, new axels, change to Trac-loc, new 3.50 gears, big bearings, disc brakes, and a taller yoke. A search for a good shop in the Amarillo area has turned up zilch. I'm therefore willing to drive a few hundred miles, so anything in western Ok, NM, North of D/FW, etc. will be fine...lol...another excuse for a few road trips.
    Yeah, N. North Texas....Dallas is like 350 miles south of me in Amarillo, and they consider that North Texas...go figure.

2. Larry T

Larry T

If you can't find anyone, you might consider Moser, Currie, Dutchman's Motorsport or ????????. They have Big Brown Trucks that run by your house every day.

To bad T-Bar Chassis/Duke's Welding isn't still in business. :D

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  3. My preference is to have mine done so I can use the existing spring perches, and I'm trying to keep the $$as reasonable as posible....trying to do it right on limited income is a bitch!! I'm in a dirt floor work area, so checking/setting pinion angle on a new housing is a problem. Same reason I've put the idea of replacing the oem 9" with an Explorer rear on the back burner. I've been in contact with Arizona Differential in Phoenix, as we'll be there in Oct. I was hoping they could get it done in that week's time, but they can't so I'd be looking at shipping back to Amarillo. They had a reasonable price, so that's still a consideration.

4. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

We can do it at my shop but from what your listing it won't be cheap. Have you already bought any parts?

5. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Sorry we are in Wylie, northeast Dallas

6. Thanks for the reply...I looked at some of your videos...you've got some neat projects going on there! This is going to be a winter project...it's the last big hurdle to finish in a ten year project. I know it's not going to be done cheap, if the dollars were the priority, I'd just have the unit serviced and run it as is. dollar amount is secondary to getting it done right. Of course getting it done right the first time becomes a major concern if I need to use a shop so far from home. Quite frankly, the price I got from Arizona Differential was 1750. not including the disc kit. I thought that was reasonable...they're just 750 miles from home! Honestly, I was hoping to find a similar business in the Texas area, where differentials are their main business.

7. Larry T

Larry T

There aren't any drag racing chassis shops in Amarillo? Should be standard stuff for them.

8. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Well i love to hit the road and if you decide to go with us I'll meet you half way. We've done bunches of rear axles, have a jig, and mechanics that have done this for years. Let us know.b

stillrunners likes this.
  9. You would think so, but I'm not in any car clubs, and pretty much out of the loop, but I'm gonna keep searching
    ntxcustoms...good to know, thanks for that info. I'll let you know. BTW, I have not purchased anything for it yet, but I can if that's the preferred way to go for whoever I end up using.

10. I found three shops in Amarillo....I was asking around in the wrong crowd...as Larry said...the racing guys knew where to go, and I'm just waiting on pricing from them. I honestly don't think I could make a bad decision on which shop of the three to use based on the referals I got, and our discusions. KOOL!!!
    Larry, my preferred shop (if I can afford them) is Sinister Racecraft owned by Colby Meyer. Apparently he and his dad built racecars in the Dumas, Tx. area for years, and he recently went off on his own. They had some awesome projects going on in his shop.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015