Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery Vintage Inline Intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1931av8, May 17, 2010.

1. 1931av8

1931av8

Thought that somebody on this board might have a clue...

I restore a lot of early single barrel carburetors for use on early inline engines. Mostly multi carburetor applications. Picked up a Carter W-1 on Flea Bay the other day that came attached to this:

[​IMG]

Aluminum intake with no markings. Vacuum port on the underside. Carb went in the middle (tapped holes) and probably mounted to cylinder head via the flanges in the foreground in the picture. All flanges including the carb are 1-1/4" SAE...the size used for the early 216 Chevy and multitude of other 1930's and 1940's engines that used Carter W-1's, WA-1's, small flange YF's, early Rochester Model B's, etc. 9 1/4" between the flange centers. 2 ports suggests four cylinder? Carburetor is a 1937-8 Chevy 346s or 358s Carter W-1 if that helps.

The intake bolts onto the head or wherever it went... Seems that most early manifolds were installed with clamps. Couldn't find anything similar to this when doing a search. Thinking tractor? Off-make or early banger? Conversion from updraft to downdraft? Any ideas??? :confused:

Thanks!
    Tom

2. 1931av8

1931av8

BTT for the night crew...

3. F&J

F&J

Back in the early days, gas was pretty poor, so you would think tractors and cars would all have heated manifolds?? that alum would ice up real quick on a 45 degree damp day.

4. 1931av8

1931av8

Noticed that also. Probably picked up radiant heat from VERY adjacent exhaust manifolds. Carb was mounted without an insulating spacer, so not too hot as to perc the fuel in carb.

5. F&J

F&J

I correct myself.. Many real early cars ran a very large pre-heated flex air pipe to the air intake, up steam from the carb. So they did not need a preheated manifold.

That intake does look familiar for some reason. The guys at AACA might recognize it if it was stock antique.

6. F&J

F&J

Maybe that is an updraft? If downdraft, why would they put a vac fitting where it would fill with gas when flooded?

If early updraft, i have seen some with a fuel primer cup at the top of the manifold.

7. F&J

F&J

NOT the same intake, but wanted to show a top primer cup on an unheated manifold. 1920 REO...very small intake for a big six cyl

Attached Files:

8. 1931av8

1931av8

Well...certainly could be an updraft! Seems to work either way...just need the appropriate carburetor. The port thread is 1/8" npt...same as a typical vacuum fitting and could easily accomodate the primer you show above. Somebody may have decided to increase performance by flipping it and using the down draft W-1. Probably had to install a pee-trap or a LONG dirt leg in the vacuum line! :D

9. NORSON

NORSON

It is for a chev 4 cyl. <1928. after market. I'd like to have it for the banger i'm building. that and an olds three port head to mount it to. if anyone can help me find them let me know.

10. 1931av8

1931av8

Looks like you may be correct. This is an early 1928 Chev and I see it looks like it might fit:

[​IMG]

I know that the Chev banger with a 3 port Olds was a hot set-up in its day. Believe that Bob Rufi used one in his lakester belly tank.

Thanks for the ID! Knew that one of you guys would be able to nail it!

Tom