Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mystery 1939 Ford De Luxe Rumble Seat Coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weasel, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Weasel

Weasel

UK Russ 60 Olds posted these pix on his 'Would this be of interest to the forum?' thread and it immediately caught my wtf radar sensor. In all my years of hot rodding and dealings worldwide I have never come across anything like this - a 1939 Ford de Luxe coupe with a rumble seat a la 1939 convertible but it retains a 1939 trunk handle. Is this an Aussie body - it's RHD? Or is it a phantom? In the words of Dire Straits - 'It's a mystery to me....'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That actually looks very good. Never saw one before.

3. Weasel

Weasel

As Russ points out - rumble step plate on RH rear fender - on a RHD car - shouldn't it be on the other side?

4. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

My guess it is a Phantom. I have seen 39 converts with a trunk but never this combination. I like it.
    Lynn

5. Model T1

Model T1

No because the fuel cap is on the other side. In a thread asking which is better a 39 deluxe or 40 deluxe, this answers that question. Look at those smooth lines.
    My 39 deluxe coupe has a small rear bench seat. It also has early Dodge front bucket seats. None of which is original but sure great when we hauled three little kids.
    Don't remember seeing a 39 with rumble seat but it sure lookds stock. The trunk handle seems puzzling though????
    The narrow horizontal stainless whisker strip just abover the grille is missing ??????

6. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Steering wheel is on right hand side but door lock is on left side (like USA). No door lock on right hand side. No FORD script above trunk handle. Newer style interior.

7. Weasel

Weasel

Anyone else have any ideas? I am trying to figure out if this was fabricated, how they would use the rear of a valuable '39 vert to weld to a coupe body?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  8. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I think that 39 Conv Coupes had a deck handle like shown. I once had a NOS one that I sold, it did not rotate like a closed car handle.
    Never saw a coupe with a rumble ,but have heard of Conv coupes with a trunk.

9. Benchdawg

Benchdawg

how do you open the rumble?

10. reefer

reefer

I'm not dead sure, but I think the car was produced in South Africa....I have seen the car several times and it always throws me when I see the rumble lid back there.A lot of the rhd cars we see over here were brought over from SA a few years ago, when the Rand fell out of bed and they could be bought for knock down prices.

11. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Re the door locks, all aussie rhd cars had locks on the lhs or passenger side, this was a safety thing back in the day.

AUSTRALIA DID NOT PRODUCE THE 39 COUPES, LAST YEAR WAS 38, FOR 39 THEY BUILT A TUDOR TYPE OF CAR AFFECTIONATELY CALLED A SLOPER

12. Weasel

Weasel

Every South African Ford of the era I have come across has had a U.S. type body. Were there any specific South African bodystyles produced? I was under the impression that Ford of Canada was responsible for shipping Canadian built (U.S. style) bodies being sent to many RHD markets including South America and African countries- excluding Australia. I am certainly no Ford expert so perhaps there are others on the forum who know more and can chime in?