Register now to get rid of these ads!

MY6 or NP833 trans to torque tube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jvo, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the opportunity to pick up one of these trannies from a friend for a decent price, and its the four wheel drive version. Just found some pics on this site and immediately got to wondering if anyone has adapted one of these to a toruqe tube? It looks like a dead ringer for a conversion. I WILL be buying this trans now, and I'll look into the feasability of doing this, just curious if its been done already to save me some trouble and engineering. And yes, I have read almost everything I can find online on this site and everywhere else I could search so far. Thanks. Good pics on this link.http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/993743-np-833-np-205-almost.html

2. 73RR

73RR

I'll give ya a bump...interesting that shiverlay used the 833 in a 4wd. Never knew about that.

3. F&J

F&J

I looked at the pic with the adapter housing that hooks to the transfer case. That housing needs to be removed to see if the output shaft diameter can be resplined to fit the Ford splines.

It looks like the trans output shaft is as long as the old muscle car Mopar trans, hidden by that very long adapter housing. That housing is just too long to use.

Even then, that trans main case is fairly long, which might cause the Ford X member to be cut up a lot?

4. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is fairly long, but it sorta looks like there is enough room for the u-joint to fit inside the back end, without adding any extra length to the unit. I'm thinking the cup for the torque tube might be able to be bolted directly to that flange, or perhaps with only a 1/2 inch plate added onto the back.
    I will have the one out of the 4x4 in a month or two so I can take some better measurements and stuff.
    Will have to see what splines are on the unit at that time also, and their size.