Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddio211

daddio211

UPDATE! We finally got up to Bob's today. Bob put some foam padding and boards on the floor and back to adjust seating height so we could plan for the steering wheel and shaft. One of my bigger pet peeves about T's is that most people look like they're sitting ON them, rather than IN them. I want to be LOW inside the car, like you should be in a deuce with a chopped windshield. We ended up taking all but 1" out of the seat riser and a 3" section of medium foam.

We're using a Mustang box that will be located fairly far back, and the steering shaft will be fairly vertical, about 70 degrees. Although I don't like bus-type steering wheels, this accomplishes two significant things. First, I've gained a lot of leg room by having the steering column NOT penetrating the firewall (I'm 6' 1" and 210 lbs). Second, it avoided using a Vega box, which I have one and have nothing against but it wouldn't be right for this build. Technically, an F100 box would be perfect but it just interferes with too many other things. Believe me, we tried.

We also worked on headlight placement and other details, but nothing photo worthy at this point.

Thanks for following along!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

2. daddio211

daddio211

And a few more...

Attached Files:

3. You look a happy man Daddio and with good cause. My T has an F-1 box and i had to offset my small block 3/8'', have no idea how it had a Hemi in it !! Looking good man, very cool. JW :)

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It's looking like a car :)

I fixed your picture.

Attached Files:

5. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks guys.

Larry, I turned that picture every possible way on my phone and it always loaded here at that same angle. I figured I'd fix it this morning but now I don't have to, thanks!

6. EBW

EBW

Great thread.. that is going to be a sweet ride for your bride !!
    Nice "action" pics of you driving fast for the full effect .. ha

7. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks "other Eric". She's really excited about it, which is SUCH a nice thing! I've been on the other side of that fence where anything I liked my ex hated, so having someone who shares my interests and passions is a God send!

She is really concerned though. She's worries that it won't be faster or louder than my shoebox, LOL. I keep telling her a relatively stock 283 in a 1700 pound car will blow by my hopped up 8BA in a 4000+ pound car. She'll have to race me to believe it, I'm sure.

8. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Excited to see it w/ the column in and eventually some floor shots too! Looks great...I too am a bit tall and need all the leg room I can get, so I'm going to try to learn from y'all.

9. daddio211

daddio211

I had anticipated getting up there yesterday, but tweaked my back something awful yesterday morning.

So instead I went out to the garage and worked on the transmission mount on my shoebox. Can't even move today. It's almost 1:00 and I'm still in bed with a great wife who's fed me, cuddled with me and brought me pain killers.

I should be able to get up there in the next few days though, and get some steering pictures for ya!

Thanks for following along, I hope I'm able to help you out!

10. daddio211

daddio211

Doorbell rang earlier, wife said my buddy Robin came over. Struggled, but I got up to say howdy.

Robin and I had talked about it before; the rearend gears I had were way too short for the anticipated driving we'll be doing in the roadster. If I remember, they're 4.11's and I need something highway friendly.

Sitting in the trunk of his '57 Bel Air was a wooden box labeled 2.75, and in it was a ring and pinion. A quick count of the teeth (13 and 29) tells me its a 3.00. PERFECT!!! I suspect it had a 2.75 in the box originally, and the 3.00 got stuffed in the box when the 2.75 went in.

Hopefully they'll fit my carrier. If they do Robin said "just give me whatever you think its worth. It's just wasting space in my garage." Great guy!

Attached Files:

11. daddio211

daddio211

Ran to Bob's this afternoon to check progress. I was greeted by headlights!

uploadfromtaptalk1363658738766.jpg

The steering box mounting plate and gussets are made and tacked in. Mustang box is bolted in and steering shaft is placed. We set the steering wheel height today.

uploadfromtaptalk1363658862588.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1363658884000.jpg

Bob also heated and bent the steering arm to clear the frame rail.

uploadfromtaptalk1363658917592.jpg

An overall view with some negative camber tribute from my mini truck days. :rolleyes:

uploadfromtaptalk1363659062326.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1363659181757.jpg

Yep, Bob the Builder is crankin' this hot rod out!

12. daddio211

daddio211

Whoops, failed to load the headlight stancion pics. Bob is amazing on he mill and lathe, and cranked out these cool sanctions! The threaded holes in the end of the frame rails will have bungs for headlight wiring conduits.

uploadfromtaptalk1363659438178.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1363659463771.jpg

Last shot before walking out the door...

uploadfromtaptalk1363659510701.jpg

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like it all except the steering box and column placement. (Steep angle and poorly placed wheel :) )

The car is going to drive like the bus it is painted like :D ;)

I think you should figure out a way to either relocate the box or incorporate a couple of U joints into the column to allow a more natural steering wheel position.

In my T ,when I get there I will have the column at more of a horizontal angle from under the dash to give the more desireable steering wheel position.

I'll use a couple U joints to connect to the box, or if needed one of the steer clear chain drive units to preserve footroom.

Larry.

whiplash1923T likes this.
  14. daddio211

daddio211

I'm right with you Larry, and I HATE the "bus" steering wheel idea. I also hate the shade of yellow this car is too, but you already knew that! :)

HOWEVER... moving to a typical angle meant using a Vega box, which I don't want. We tried a F100 box for this exact reason, but it just didn't fit neatly with where everything was mocked up. The Mustang box is the best fit, and much to my surprise sitting in the car the steering wheel position has a VERY natural feel to it. I've always detested the Fad T steering thing with a vertical column, but being 6' 1" I suddenly appreciate the additional leg room of not having a column between my feet!

The other option (and really preferred) was cowl steering and that's out of the budget.

I can see the personalized license plate now... SHRTBUS LOL!

15. To each his own I would say. I am running a Vega box and although I'm not a big fan I like the idea of high speed stability. I do plan on "High speed". :D

I like the headlight mounts. Vary clean!

[​IMG]

And no ugly bar across the radiator. ;)

As for the steering colunm angle, I think I could get used to it. I've always liked (from the time I was 16 with my first "Fridge") hanging on the wheel, felt like driving a bus. lol :rolleyes:

What it all comes down to is what YOU like, and the wife of course. It's the people who will be driving the car.

16. BTW Sorry to hear about your back pain. I know how it feels and it ain't fun.

17. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Tim-eh! I've had Vega boxes, but I LOVE the Maval cross-steer 1/2 rack that we put in my A Tudor! Rock solid, good feedback, and it felt great at 110 MPH in the several bursts I made! Trying to follow the vintage Ford parts thing as much as possible, but within reason here.

Although a Mustang box isn't period correct for what I'm aiming at, a Vega would be a further departure yet.

I really was surprised how good it felt. Bob is one hell of a planner and knows how to set up a car! Still, I wished the F100 box would have fit in the tight constraints as it would have been more "correct".

18. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Cool project, im sure it goin to be a really good looking T when you have that nice references of other model-T's.
    Will you go with the windowframe that is or is something else on the way ?

19. Looking good, the wheel needs to suit your overall needs and if it ticks most of the boxes then its right.I play drums and no two kits are set up the same,its all about you and your good lady. JW :) OH and hope ya back clears soon.

20. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks guys. It's fun watching it come together so quickly because if the work was up to me nothing would be getting done. I'm just too buried in work and family right now. Hence, its taken me months to put the engine in my shoebox.

I'll be reusing the windshield frame that's on it, albeit cut down several inches. The posts will be just above the top screw, and the top of the glass will be cut on a curve with no top frame.

Worked all day yesterday, stopped by Bob's and even helped load my old '60 Bel Air on a trailer headed for California. Needless to say, I way over-did it and am still in bed this morning. Ugh. I am incapable of taking it easy until its too late!

Sad watching the '60 be towed away, but I'll never get to it.

uploadfromtaptalk1363708044885.jpg

21. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Sounds great, it be a big different when the sheildchop is done :)

22. daddio211

daddio211

Sure will. We'll likely have that planned in the next two weeks, as my upholstery guy needs to come by for another visit. We need to figure out if the bun pan needs to be cut out or if he can work around it and still give me the room I need.

Then, when the final seating location is figured we can start marking the glass. This one is a little pitted so we will have a new window cut, but we may just try cutting this one for fun.

Thanks for following along.

23. daddio211

daddio211

Minor update, no pics.

Bob called, said he was at a stopping point until I got up there with our upholstery buddy Scott. He needed to know if we would have to cut out the "curve" that is below/behind the seat riser. I think I mentioned it before, but I'm 6' 1" and need all the room I can get.

Mocking up seating position with various densities of foam, we decided that cutting out that panel wouldn't gain any room.

We discussed different upholstery styles too. It will be pleats, but with a little "twist" for my wife...

24. daddio211

daddio211

We also decided to lower the headlights 2".

25. Lo Headlight are G00D !!!!!!!

Attached Files:

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sorry, I will disagree on that one.

I like them higher.

27. daddio211

daddio211

Da34guy and I have been friends for years. He converted (perverted?) me to looooow headlights.

Thanks for your thoughts though!

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Perverted :D I like that :) Carry on.

I'm a little surprised that you found cutting out the lower bump wouldn't give more room, that usually does add a little.

I'm going to be sitting as far back in my tub as possible.

Larry.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  29. I agree with you Daddio about that curved bit, that can make you sit to upright. Im reduceing the thickness of my seat back 50%. I think if lights are to low the car can loose some grace of line (IMO), I like the balance with the lights on my T.Keep up the good work. JW :)
    [​IMG]

30. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks fellas. The reason losing the bump didn't gain any room is because I hate sitting straight up. I'd rather lose a little leg room for a slightly "reclined" seating position. Scooting my ass forward a few inches and using less foam at the top accomplished that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.