Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I love the color, espeically the outside candy look. maybe not for a hotrod but would roll it on a kustom (or my 51 chevy) who paint is it and what is the color name/ code. (been looking for something like this for a project I have.

Tman, do you have a pic of the color you mention above?

2. daddio211

daddio211

Boones, me too. It's literally unbelievable! Deep, rich, lustrous color. And she doesn't like it, LOL. Shot you a PM.

It WOULD be a fitting color for a custom!

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

3. Well? What's up? Been a week since any posts. :p

4. daddio211

daddio211

LOL, just logged on to do a small update, thanks for caring! ;)

We still haven't nailed down the final color. We've both been SOOO busy with our businesses that we just haven't had the time to research it thoroughly.

Stopped by Bob's last night and was greeted by some primered parts!

1385568372111.jpg

1385568386105.jpg

1385568401154.jpg

Bob will start sanding and filling any imperfections today, getting closer to paint!

Also went and took a few measurements of my '54 COE so I can begin planning. Don't worry, that project won't start until the T and the shoebox are done!

1385568548668.jpg

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm glad you are going to change the color, as nice as the first spray out on the frame went I have to agree with your wife.

The color just doesn't do it for me. :)

Looking forward to the next one.

6. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Larry. I think it's hilarious that it's purple/pink in the sun and I love it but she hates it, as those are two of her favorite colors and colors I don't really care for!

To hear her tell it, "The color is gorgeous but this is a hot rod and hot rods are bad ass. That's kind of a pussy color for a hot rod. Why don't you paint your shoebox with the left over paint?" :eek:

Ha ha! She's a keeper!

7. daddio211

daddio211

8. "Why don't you paint your shoebox with the left over paint?"

Ouch!!!

9. Do paint the Coe with left over paint.
    And do some hot pink spikes or something manly like that.

10. daddio211

daddio211

She cracks me up, and is a LOT of fun!

And maybe a My Little Pony swinging from the rear view mirror? Um, no. Thank you, but no. LMAO

A small progress update on the paint/color side of things. We ran to Vegas yesterday to pick up a chassis for our upcoming '54 COE build. Before we left I called my good buddy Jim Shelton to ask if he was in town, he was! (Anyone who knows Jim knows he could be literally ANYWHERE at any given moment, usually thousands of miles away in his roadster!)

Jim agreed to meet us at an easy place to get to since we were dragging a trailer. In-N-Out is always a great place to look at hot rods, right?

Well, Victoria LOVES the color and Jim graciously shared the paint code with us. This is it, we won't change again!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. daddio211

daddio211

She cracks me up, and is a LOT of fun!

And maybe a My Little Pony swinging from the rear view mirror? Um, no. Thank you, but no. LMAO

A small progress update on the paint/color side of things. We ran to Vegas yesterday to pick up a chassis for our upcoming '54 COE build. Before we left I called my good buddy Jim Shelton to ask if he was in town, he was! (Anyone who knows Jim knows he could be literally ANYWHERE at any given moment, usually thousands of miles away in his roadster!)

Jim agreed to meet us at an easy place to get to since we were dragging a trailer. In-N-Out is always a great place to look at hot rods, right?

Well, Victoria LOVES the color and Jim graciously shared the paint code with us. This is it, we won't change again!

12. I know you have your code, but I wanted to stir the pot just a little more: Ford had three different Maroon shades in 1940. See this thread.

13. dclickster

dclickster

Just saw your thread on site I'm in west FW. We meet every Sunday morning @ the Busy Bee Bakery on Alta Mere (183) & Southwest Blvd. on the east side of traffic circle. Lots of hot rods show up most of the time.

14. good choice of color!!

15. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks man, Mandarin Maroon was a serious consideration but it typically turns brown in the shade. That was one of her biggest concerns.

Thanks for the invite. I used to get down to DFW four to eight times a year, but don't anymore. Spent a lot of time in Irving at NEC!

While down there I became an honorary member of the Concrete Lizards. Went to dinner with them dozens of times, great bunch of people!

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, that is a very nice color choice, and not so much like a bright freaky color of lipstick :D

17. daddio211

daddio211

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:confused:Hi Daddio.That is a beautiful color.Just a question here.The objection that I have to reds/maroon and their derivitives is that they are very prone to fade from UV rays,unless there have been some big changes in paint chemistry that I am unaware of(and there more than likely are).I have seen cars that were less that one year old and had to have a total repaint because of a crunched fender or door,and not being able to have the"faded"paint matched.Thanks for any answers or info that come up.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. daddio211

daddio211

Paint has come a long way, and Jim's car has been painted for about 12 years and has 100,000 miles on it. I'm not worried about yellowing at all, and if we have to repair damage we'll worry about it then.

As a matter of fact, Jim recently replaced his gas tank and driver's side frame horn cover and took the paint code to the paint store. They mixed it, it matched perfectly.

Thank you though for the objective opinion. Often someone will bring something up that I hadn't considered and it helps me find a better way of doing things!

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm feeling pretty good, recovering well so far. No garage time for a while but so far so good. MRI follow up and doctor visit in a couple weeks will make me feel even better.

God willing the plan is back to work in January and back to normal life.

As far as the UV fading goes I think the UV protection in most modern paints is far superior to the days when most reds would bleach out to a faded flat pink in the southern sun.

21. Eric my wife just saw this post and I quote "OH what color is that, I love it you should paint a car that color" Just so you know she very rarely ever notices a car unless it almost hits her.

22. daddio211

daddio211

Larry, glad to hear you're doing better! Take it easy please and rest up so you can get back to what you rock at! If I can be of any help in any way please don't hesitate to ask.

Curt, that's funny as hell! I happen to have some left over product if you're so interested! ;)

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks Eric, the best thing you can do for me at this point is to say a prayer for continued healing. I have an MRI scan and a follow up doctor visit coming up this Friday so we are looking for the best possible outcome.
    Things are looking up :)

24. daddio211

daddio211

I'm on it brother. I'm sure others here are too.

25. Me too Larry. Eric, im hangin out for some updates here. JW :)

26. Hope to see an update soon this has dropped to number 9 on my list. By the way Eric love your Christmas gifts you and your wife gave to each other.

27. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Curt! The plan is to go up tomorrow for a few hours and knock some things out. I'll take and post pictures when I do.

I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't been up to Bob's since my last update, but he's been plugging away. Excited to see (and report) what tomorrow brings.

28. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Been following this build for a while now. Very nice and can't wait to see it completed. Keep it up daddio. Been working on my 27 for about two years now and getting close to the finish line. :cool:

29. daddio211

daddio211

Hey man, thanks! Post a pic of your build here, and a link to a build thread if you have one! Lots of us here would like to see what you're up to.

Not a lot to show or announce. Just as I (and probably you) have been busy with family stuff this time of year, so has Bob.

Still, he's been working on the car. The front and rear bones and rear end are finished with filler and primer and ready to paint.

He fired up the paint booth heater this morning but by this afternoon the parts still weren't warm enough to paint when I arrived around 4:00, so we set about other details.

Really not a big deal, but we broke down the front and rear springs, cleaned them of all grease, ground and filed the ends, and spaced them in preparation for paint. Of course that takes time, and talking guns took the rest of the afternoon!

1388287403080.jpg

30. daddio211

daddio211

Oh, a renewed sense of urgency (on my part) has been instilled. I'll be making a major effort to work on the car at least one evening a week and hopefully a few weekends a month until finished.
    I plan to start sanding the frame on New Year's Day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.