Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thankyou appreciate it

2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Well, Langy;

Maybe you & everyone else that has a thread closed due to OT (car) content can (will - hopefully?) transfer to Ryans' other site, Dogfight. They still avoid certain topics that I'd like to see covered, but ... <shrug>. Hopefully a lot of drama will disappear 'twixt here & re-appearing there. I'm glad they aren't just whacking the whole thread(s), & will leave the info up.

Marcus...

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cheers Marcus, I will check out that site

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well the problems keep arising !!! ran into another one today, heads are now all torqued down and I wanted to address the rocker fouling issue but after stripping the shafts down I found the base of the shaft assembly was fouling the head studs !!! I think whats happened here is it was made for an engine with head bolts as there small recesses for the bolt heads to go into, as i'm using ARP studs which use a parallel washer and a thicker nut the recess needed to be bigger all round.
    Anyway an hour on the mill sorted it all out and they both sit down nice now.

I started by doing a single pass with a 5/8" cutter but it wasn't enough

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Steve, You are a true artist when it comes to fab work and the building of some very awesome Hot Rods. It has been great fun watching your projects as you built several cars. Been great fun watching you.

Dave

6. farmer12

farmer12

Let's hope they won't close all the good threads here on the H.A.M.B., I personally think it would be a shame. Your build has been very inspirational Steve and I've certainly been inspired by the build quality and ingenuity you have shown. We'll just have to wait and see what the mods are going to do......At least I can follow you on the UK thread!

7. eggsplurt

eggsplurt
    from New Jersey

Nothing here short of incredible Steve!.......I'm totally blown away.......Wish you were my neighbor.......I'd be over every morning with coffee and bacon egg and cheese sandwiches.......Steve......Shrewsbury New Jersey......1965 Straight-Axle Bill Kraft Rambler Marlin......

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Bacon & Egg would definitely get you in the door bud but needs to be accompanied by Tea, hahaha

Thanks for the kind comments, it's appreciated.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thank you very much Eric, your build is equally inspiring for all to see.
    They are both still here at the moment anyways.
    We can thanks the Hamb for our friendship as we would probably never met otherwise and not meeting you would of been a great loss buddy

10. Langy, you know how I feel about your work and for those that haven't, I've seen it up close and personal and it IS amazing stuff. I hope exceptions will be made ....

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Ran into clearance problems with ARP stud kit on my BBC engine also! Not in the valve train, but in the exhaust flanges on my headers! I got my heads all torqued down and began installing the headers and couldn't get anything to line up! Found the ARP stud length was too long and the studs protrude through the nut so far that they hit the header flange. I had to shorten all the perimeter studs to clear the flange, and still had to notch the flange slightly to clear the thicker nuts too!

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the support Tom i class you as one of my best buddies, even though you talk funny :D

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I spoke to the supplier abut this and its something they are working on addressing, thanks for chipping in.

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I thought I would mention that although i've had a few fitment problems along the way the support & advice & help I have received from Marty & JW at Maximum Torque Specialities has been absolutely first class, I would highly recommend them.

15. Ha - look who's talking about talking funny! Thanks, man - I am honored ....

16. Well I'm hoping a little common sense prevails and yours and Eric's threads stay open. I'm thinking that you probably couldn't start a new thread like these now, but seeing that they both are established ( 2 & 4 years old ), informative and for the most part on topic they should be good to go. I'm an Alliance member and will be keeping an eye on how fair and un-biased the moves they make will be. Wishing you the best regardless of what happens, Steve.

17. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

i see that your question was answered---sorry i was out of state for a few days--the thread will be closed and the info will still be here in the archives-

i created an acct thru your link--i have to wait to get a subscription to your thread

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

My moly pushrods turned up ok, not bad at all 3 days from California !!!, This enabled me to do all the final assembly last night, its now ready for installing on saturday. had to put it on a more heavy duty stand as it was a bit springy on the other one !!!
    It looks much bigger out of the car for sure, stood there looking at it and suddenly realised I had forgot something :eek: How the hell was I gonna put the oil in :( when i made the valve covers I had forgot to put in an oil filler !!! Luckily in the scrap box was an aluminium filler I had made years ago and not used, unfortunately the screw cap had a hole in it so a bit of flat aluminium was cut round to cap it off, next problem was my Tig was playing up on AC (not been 100% since I had it repaired) so I set off to my mate Garys who had just got a new Miller tig welder (a lovely bit of kit too). I now need a new Miller tig :D

Got the filler neck welded in and the cap capped off, got home and thought i'm gonna try my Tig on AC again, found the problem straight away, when they repaired it they put in a new penetration/cleaning control which now works back to front I've been adjusting it the wrong way Happy its working fine now though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think so. Bet it stays open in Gen. Discussion, along with Eric's. Looking good Steve!

20. n847

n847

That is a thing of Beauty! Cant wait to see it in the car and video of it running!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wow! What a great looking engine Steve! Looks more like art, or art in motion once it's running!

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi Vall, can't wait to get it started mate

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I took some peoples advice and got my blower intake and carb plate Soda blasted yesterday but to be honest it looked crap so broke open the flake tin and flaked them both last night, looks much better now !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mini starter turned up yesterday so I bolted it in place just to check, Its minute, about the size of a bean can.

[​IMG]

Good job I checked it as the pinion is slightly short when meshed, I've seen starters like this before and they have worked fine but i'm gonna mill out the holes and elongate them .125" and weld in tubes to move them slightly. Yet another mod to something that should fit out of the box !!!

[​IMG]

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Steve, I had exactly that some problem with the Powermaster I had on the 350 sbc in my 23. The gear only popped out so far and was only catching a portion of the flexplate. I finally got a regular old Chevy full size starter and it worked so much better. But your solution sounds good.

Motor looks like something Langy would have built !:) Sure is purdy.

Don

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Don, I'm gonna take it to bits tonight and see if I can modify the spacer on the end, maybe trim it a little bit to let the pinion travel another 1/8"

26. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Really looking the goods now, but you can't wait to light the fire.

As usual mate great work!

27. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

we hope...

28. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Wow, Steve, the engine is looking freaking awesome!!! Now Im thinking my hemi would look cool flaked like yours....

29. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Steve, That is one purty and VERY Powerful Caddy engine. Bet it sounds really leathal when it hits the strip !

Dave

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Me too Chris, cheers