Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thought i had better sort a handbrake, luckily i had an old upright handbrake lever from a old 1950's bus ( I knew i would use it someday)
    The lever was 3ft long so first job was to shorten it to a nice comfortable length.

1st pic is what i started with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next on the list was a floor mounted bracket, someone had butchered the mechanism before i got it so i made an upright and welded the ratchet piece to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pawl was pretty badly worn so i made another from steel, heated it to cherry red and quenched it in water to harden it.

[​IMG]

Heres the bits laid out before reassembly

[​IMG]

1st pic is fully closed and 2nd pic fully open. I was gonna cover it with a leather gaiter but thought it would look cool left open and chromed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also treated the old girl to a pair of ARE magnesium spindle mount 5 spoke 4" x 15" front wheels, these came with discs and calipers, bearing etc but need a little bit of fitting to complete.

[​IMG]

Also got the other header done and finished.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats one really cool handbrake.
    Really nice work again,keep it up!

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Exactly how many hours are there in a day in England, Steve? You get more done in a week than most of us get done in a month ! I bet you have Sue out there in the garage helping you. :D

Everything looks your usual amazingly good.

Don

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate, just something a little different !!!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don, Sue is exceptionally good at making me cups of tea.
    Just the same amount of hours as you guys get but I do all my design work in the bath !!! Then it's just a case of making it

6. I watched your last build thread... this looks fantasic as well!!

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Paul, appreciated

8. 1954satan

1954satan

Steve, we seem to have the same brand of tape measure, but your stuff always looks so much better than mine, ;) seriously though its all looking damn good so far,:cool: keep those pics coming.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude, those tape measures ain't always as accurate as they should be !!!

10. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Damn good thing you don't live anywhere close to me, you would never get anything done. I would be in your way all time trying to learn just a fraction of what you know when it comes to fabing stuff. Your work is great and I enjoy your post, keep up the good work!

Dave.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Dave, I'm glad your enjoying it.

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well the last couple of evenings i've managed to sort a job that i couldn't make my mind up about, namely the brake pedal, the sensible side of me was saying under the floor dual circuit master cylinder but i just thought it looked to modern, the other side was saying swinging pedals and 1960 Chevy picup master cylinder, the one drawback was that it as single circuit but as i already had a brand new cylinder i decided to go the unsensible route.
    Obviously to use this cylinder i needed a swinging pedal box, the Ansen type fitted my needs perfectly and used the chevy master but after seeing the prices they were going for i decided to make my own.
    One problem arose straightaway as i knew i had a master cylinder but forgot i had sold it to a customer, a quick call and another was on its way and the customer kindly sent me a template of the cylinder base bolt pattern, this at least enabled me to get started.

This is the 60-62 Chevy cylinder i'm using.

[​IMG]

This is the expensive & rare Ansen pedal box

[​IMG]

My version is made from 316L stainless, base is 1/4" cut from plate (not laser cut) pedal is 3/8" and as its on display i polished it all, master cylinder mounts on firewall. Mine is also adjustable

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

14. Racrdad

Racrdad

Everytime I think you have fabbed up the coolest part ever you just up the ante again. Very Impressive!!!

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, it came out pretty good, I just need to install a pedal stop which I will do when I bolt it in as cylinder not here yet.

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I guess so.

17. farmer12

farmer12

Great fabrication work there Langy. Just so all you guys know what this gentleman looks like, here's a pic. That's him on the left. (and no, I'm not standing on a box.) It was awesome to meet you last week Steve!

Attached Files:

18. billys54

billys54

19. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

That is quite nifty, I like how you used the rose joints.

Do you go for the cut off or the jig saw?

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Sorry mate, ya got me there ???

21. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks.

23. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I'm jealous, both you guys are excellent car builders with GREAT hair!

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Glad you guys got your shirt color coordinated for the pic! ;)

25. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Wow, just wow. Awesome car, and the fit and finish of those stainless parts is just amazing, top notch work dude. Can't wait to see this one finished.

26. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

I mean what do you prefer to use to cut thick materials like that with curves and what not...
    People look at me like I'm nuts when I grab a jig saw to cut 8mm plate haha but it works great!

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

A jigsaw won't cut 8mm stainless i'm afraid, usually i use a thin cutting wheel in a 4.5" grinder but sometimes i use the plasma cutter.

28. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Never tried it with stainless but yeah I suppose it would be quite hard on it. Works fine for alloy or mild steel though. Well anyways, I love the work you do, carry on! :D

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks man :)

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Had a spare couple of hours tonight so thought i would sort my fuel block, I picked it up ages ago in the states and is an old Thickstun block, I only bought it as i thought it looked cool !!!

Anyway it was on the shelf so thought i would use it, first job was to drill out the main passage to 1/2" as thats the size of my main fuel line. Then i found a 1/2" stainless fitting with 1/2" NPT thread so drilled and tapped the entry port, the exit ports were a little more tricky as i wanted to use stainless fittings to match but couldn't find them in the right size.

Had to make some on the lathe in the end and weld in short lengths of tube, I didn't have a NPT die so I put a 1/2" UNF thread on them and seal them with a copper washer.

Added a Moon fuel pressure gauge and its ready to rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]