Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My WIFES new project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Jan 22, 2012.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

2. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

3. That's awesome. I'm so jealous you're driving yours already. Congrats - way to go!

and I do like that pink wheel... :)

4. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

got some new tires installed today. drove the heck out of her also. ran a little got though i think. 220degrees. runs good. i think im going have to install a stall converter lock up on the transmission though. doesnt seem to shift right to me.like its slipping when i get on it. barked the tires taking off once today. 6-9-2012

5. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

omg....hooked up the tv cable finally on the truck....o boy what a difference. i used this link http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm

it told me so much about the 700r4 trans..... its more than just a kickdown....lol

EVERYONE hookup your cables!!!!

ive hooking up better, shifting smoother, and burning more rubber!

6. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

another great day and another bad sunburn! lol

6-23-2012
    stephensburg day

HUGE turn out. i was feeling a little bad because i knew my wife was thinking her truck was SO much better than the other cars and trucks. its still a project in my eyes but.... SHE walked away with a TOP 150 car trophe. very proud of her. truck is running good. painted the dash up a little with crise paint and placed another coat on the bed. just haviing fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

finally after a couple weeks of beening lazy on the truck we made a little more progress. painted the vent pink. made some valve cover covers.lol. and made a shroud but needs to be mounted still.

here are the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

DAMN....blew the engine today! timing gear shear some teeth and blocked off oil from pickup tube....instant rod knocking. had no chance to turn engine off to save it. .....right now completly disgusted. dont know what im going to do. :(:(:(:(

9. Sorry 2 hear that! That is going to really set you back

10. Don't beat yourself up. Throw a cheap Craigslist motor in there and run it until it blows up again...

11. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. That's what makes our hobby interesting,always something wrong or amiss,remember if it's got tires or tatas it's gonna cost ya. Good things it's sbc. There everwhere and usually can be had on the cheap !! Nice truck and good luck !!! Might luck up and throw a crank kit in it,get that rod that's knocking resized.

12. That really sucks. Hope you get it back on the road quickly.

13. bstie

bstie

Sorry to hear that, I agree with the others put another motor in there with the way you were able to put this together so fast that should be an easy one for you. It doesn't have to be a high dollar motor. Good luck!

14. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

well some good news. found a 305! my father heard about my bad luck and hooked up my wife with this 305 that came out of camaro with 61k miles on the engine. i opened the engine up and it was extremely clean inside. checked out the timing chain and had a little slack so i went ahead and changed with new. also since i had the engine out we pressure washed it and painted the block. i had some bad vibes from those ugly exhaust manifolds so i pulled out some headers i had stashed away for awhile. they are full length headers. also bolting up brand new thrust cherry bombs striaght to the headers to give the truck true duals! just a few minutes ago we slide the engine into the frame. shouldnt be long until its done. we started working on the engine this past monday. taking our time after work 2hrs a day. today i had off so ive reallu busted @$$ getting stuff done. should be ready no problem for a car cruise this weekend around my town square. we had 500 cars show up i think last yr. maybe more. elizabethtown kentucky if anyoone is interested. i will post picutres later of the whole process. later chris~

15. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

good news bad news....first for the bad. i wont be taking the truck to the cruise. just got too many small things ive gotta do. plenty more i can go to later on.

the good news.....i installed a edelbrock performer 4bbl carberator on the engine today and got rid of the darn 2bbl. whoa....what a difference. more bad....none of my gas linkages or tranny linkages hookup now. gotta extend them all about inch and half.

after i fix the linkages the only thing i have left is the exhuast. i moved the truck at idle earlier under its own power. it moved very slowly since i dont have the gas pedal hooked up. lol

here are some pictures:cool:

[​IMG]

engine out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

new engine installed but wires are a mess!!!! gotta striaghten all that out later. you can see a small glimpse of the headers in this picture.

16. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

7/29/2012 installed new thrust glasspacks. rewired all the mess under the hood. wire loomed everything i could.

drove the truck around the block. did ok. had to adjust the carb a little. idle was 2 low.

drove the truck home...it was at my dads since the engine blew a week ago. drive is 30minute long drive. about 20miles. did great. truck has a new awesome sound with the exhuast and performs so much better than that 350. the new 305 has consistant power all the time. basically the 350 was worn out PERIOD. i guess i should had rebuilt it before installing into the truck.

will post pictures later of the nicer cleaner engine compartment. :cool:

17. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

here is a picture of the NEW 305 with cleaner wiring job. wire looms help out alot. got rid of the external solinode. cut and snipped alot of wires. some i didnt need at all. lol. still could work on the electrical some more. before long i will be ready for my buddy steve to do some pinstriping on the truck.

[​IMG]

18. shadams

shadams

Oh yea, much better. Glad its all back together...

19. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

cool little truck! looks like the BOSS loves it too!

20. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

thanks for the comments guys. we installed a push button start today. just another cool factor. also aftermarket pioneer headunit. underdash.

21. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

here is a link to another thread on here with the truck. had family photos done. this is being posted incase any subscribers didnt see the new thread and are trying to follow this build.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724807
    Today 8-12-2012 i installed anchor points behind the seat so i could install a child safety seat. took my boy for a ride earlier and he just LOVED it.

22. RodneyAChance

RodneyAChance

I enjoyed that build for its economy and your family's enthusiasm.
    Kick-ass valve covers!

23. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

o its not done yet. srry if anyone feels like ive dropped the ball but we are enjoying the truck to much to work on it right now. driving it every chance we get. thanks for all the feedback guys

24. n847

n847

I like that your enjoying it as a family! Some of the best drives I've had in my car have been when the kids were strapped in the car seats in the back!

25. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

took the truck out of the garage today in preperation for a concrete slab being poured. figured i take a photo of the truck enjoying some fresh air. still to darn cold to be driving. especially with no heater on the truck. i guess i could bundle up.

2-16-2013 and a little dusty

[​IMG]

26. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

Nice valve cover...covers haha

27. Well I'm impressed too! On and off and back on the road, I'm still cranking away, and not running! BTW, Nice truck!

28. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

drove the truck back out today trying to prepare for a carshow and got a wild hair up my butt. i jerk the POS stock intake manifold off and installing a Performer Eldelbrock dual plan inatake on the old gal. im really excited to see if there be any difference.

and if by anychance this engine blows up....ive decided im going all out and buying a ls1 to stick in this gal. my brother installed one into his derby car and ran in a derby last night. very impressed how strong a new gm egine runs. i think he told me its 330hp stock? had a aftermarket intake so he could run a carb.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  29. shtterbug8

shtterbug8