Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My WIFES new project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Jan 22, 2012.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

got several things done today. hood was rebraced and now shuts fine with the hinges and all the lines match up around the hood. i welded a 1/8th inch 1inch wide flatbar to the back edge of the hood to make the sheetmetal stiffer.

hooked up the fuse block and taillights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

front windshield installed today! me so happy. gave the truck a water test and the sunroof leaked. after taking a look i forgot to freshen up the rubber with oil. :rolleyes: dag gone seals are all stiff. i hope by tomorrow i can get enough time to play around with the seals to get it to not leak.

also planning on trying to hookup the lights and working on the guage clusters. getting very close to calling the sheriffe for inspection! yay. ready for my tags so i can be legal.

3. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

man after looking at previous posts of the truck that body looks aweful rough but....i plan on entering the truck into shows as WORK IN PROGRESS and eventually have the 51 chev into a show truck....here is a pic

[​IMG]

4. You certainly came a long way in a short time - I admire your perservence. Now at least you'll be able to drive it while you make more improvements. Nice looking truck.

I hope to get to that point by the end of the summer...

5. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

I for one want to be your friend, You have done this in 3 months, with no garage and minimal help what a lot of folks dream of doing with a full tilt shop. Granted it's not your show truck yet but you're on the road and enjoying it as you improve it. Congrats to a job well done !

6. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

thanks for the comments. helps alot with my troubles ive gotten now. freakin front glass is leaking bad! i called glass man. he hasnt responded yet to my message. so for now the project is on hold because of the glass man having to fix his leaking mess. very upset because the only thing i have left to do is hook up the guages inorder to have the sheriff come out to pass it.

7. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

updates galore! glass man finally fixed front glass. yay

sunroof is now fixed thanks to a little stickaflex 221. its an ahesive type cualking.

and the bed of the truck...first coat looks damn good to me. im sure the wood is going to soak most of it up by morning. i will more than likely apply 3-5 more coats. hahahhahahhah

[​IMG]

8. shadams

shadams

Looks good! Glad the leak is fixed, I can imagine how frustrating that would be.

9. I didn't notice the sunroof till now. I'm pretty sure you didn't do it, so ... wow.

10. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

sunroof was in the truck when i first brought the cab home in the back of the pickup. i completely removed it, disassembled it, and reinstalled into the cab. its one thing the WIFE loved....so it had to stay.

11. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

YES! finally i won me a FULTON. paid more than what i wanted to but its going to be a bitter sweet upgrade for the truck. best part...all new hardware.

[​IMG]

12. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

update. 5-21-12 got the tags!!!!!!!!!

13. I guess we'll be seeing you out on the road now! Excellent. :)

14. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

just drove the truck a little over 10miles this afternoon. had to go get gas!! lol. no problems. got alot of body work ahead of us. but atleast we can say screw it and take her for a drive. :cool: that makes anyone feel good. a nice cruise thru the countryside.

i had one problem at the gas station....the small filler neck kept kicking the pump off. very slow process to pump 10gallons of gas into her.

anyways happy memorial weekend everyone!

here are some more progress pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

truck has another coat of paint on her.....almost ready for the first car show this saturday. see that reflection in the door!:eek: all work done outside people. im very proud. its not perfect but looks very good for what it is.

[​IMG]

16. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

That's cool as shit :D that's what it's all about drive the wheels off that thing:D now ya gotta haul sand in for the ruts lol.

17. GooGooMuck

GooGooMuck
    from Tacoma, WA

Great work so far, I know you've SAID it was for the wife, so my vote is for plain steelies painted "Magenta" like the steering wheel. Maybe with skinny white tires. That is if you are man enough to drive around with PINK wheels.
    I bet you could sell those rally wheels pretty easy, and some junkyard steel wheels come cheap, so that would be some $ to go back into the budget too.

Before it becomes a big thing AGAIN, yes someone already asked Hot Rods Are pink wheels Ghey?
    So lets not open that can of worms again!

I am subscribing. It will be good motivation to get MY wife's car together!

18. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

yea....i be driving also....yes im man enough! the plans are to have magenta pinstriping done on the center caps and around the outisde edge of the rim.

19. crapshoot

crapshoot

your wife must be a cool ol'lady, if i brought a truck home like what you started with my wife would have punched me in the face.

20. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

heck i own probably 10 more cars....all in that rough shape....im having a garage contructed by a contractor within the next3-4 weeks. so soon im going into frenzy mode....watch me sling these cars out!

21. toddwith2ds

toddwith2ds
    from AZ

I have a question on your steering wheel. What is the bolt pattern on the hub of your column? I am trying to figure out a way to get an early GM wheel onto my speedway motors column. It has a standard Grant style bolt pattern, 3x 2 inch-ish. Is this the same as your column? I really don't want to buy a wheel only to figure out that I have to butcher it to use it.

22. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

the bolt patten on my ididit column i believe is the grrant style 3 bolt. i was lucky enough that the factoy GM bolt pattern was close enough. i took a slightly large drill bit and drilled out the holes in the steering wheel. i then installed bolts backed with washers to insure that the bolts dont pull thru the wheel. doing it this way saved me from having to buy an adapter. i can still use an adapter if i wanted to. i just think all the lines match up pretty well. so i left it alone. i hope this helps

23. toddwith2ds

toddwith2ds
    from AZ

Helps a ton. Thanks so much! Great job on the truck by the way!

24. davidfe

davidfe
    from Illinois

Really like the build. Do you know what the seat is from? It looks really good.

Subscribed to follow the striping and completion.

25. Colville

Colville

Cool build man, was a blast to read :)

26. orula

orula

Is a great pleasure to revive an old car with their hands.

Congrats man

27. FLbones

FLbones

Congrats ! Nice solid ride

28. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

got a long ways to go fellas! a whole lot more body work is coming. photo is just a GOOD ANGLE. lol.

the seat is from a 2007 dodge charger. its the REAR seat. i just picked up the corner pieces tonight and installed. i will have pictures of this tomorrow sometime after its first car show.

still gotta finish the bed and the interior out. then gotta work out the engine bay.

29. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

GREAT DAY AT THE CAR SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we was the 3rd one to show up. had a good turn out. in the end of the day my wife left with the LADIES CHOICE 3ft TROPHY. so proud of her. i think it was the magenta pink steering wheel! lol. truck ran really good.

here are some ppictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]