Register now to get rid of these ads!

My tv/ movie car rant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fogs58, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

hell there are even mistakes in goodguys mag and street scene and all thr other mags that are supposed to be written and edited by car people , were just to smart for our own good. ha ha

2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

In Vanishing Point, of course Kowalski is driving that sweet Challenger R/T, and then the crash into the dozers, done by setting up the front end on the car to go straight straddling the crown in the road and pulling it up to speed with a long cable. Best part was they used a '67 Camaro for the crash so they didn't have to trash the nice Challenger :p

3. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

As a kid I lived in Thousand Oaks, CA and would see a car trailer full of General Lee Chargers going out to Paramount Ranch where they filmed. At the end of the day the same car carrier with seven beat to shit bent in half Chargers. Even at 14 years old, I knew that was f***ed up!

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You know what the producer said, when asked about those off year cars? "What IDIOT, who's supposed to be paying attention to the story line, is going to notice the year of the cars?"

That little red button, near the top of your remote, press it. All the bullshit will go away.

5. ken bogren

ken bogren

How many people under 40 can even tell the difference between a 1960 Ford and a 63 Ford?

All many (most?) of them know is that they're looking at an "old car".

6. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

The real problem -- back to the first comment -- is Tom Cruise. I've read a few Jack Reacher novels. And in the books he's about 6'5" and weighs about 250. He has a hard time trailing someone. Doesn't sound like Tom Cruise's physical description.

As for the cars, in movies supposedly set in the 40s, you see Model As that look straight from the restorer -- which they probably are.

7. 117harv

117harv

My buddy just relesed his Hot Rod movie and one of the exchanges goes like this.

" if you ever make a car movie, make sure you get the car stuff right, if you dont the cars guys will think you're an idiot" Other actors response " for every car guy, there are a million dumb people who just dont know the differance"

8. George

George

forgot now what make & color the motorcycle in "Then came Bronson" was, someone pointed out the jump in the opening scene each week was a gold Honda, clearly visible, instead of the different color & make used in the show.

9. I had a friend who had a 1946 Taylorcraft airplane , sold it to a guy who said it was going to be used in a movie. He loved that airplane but the price was right and he was thrilled to see it in a movie. They blew the sucker up! Needless to say he was a bit pissed.

10. The other problem with casting Tom Cruise is I keep wondering if they should have called it "Jack Reach-around" ... but that's another story I guess.

11. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

This board is the last bastion of the crusty old fart.

Think about how difficult it would be to gather enough period correct cars to film the show Vegas every week. The cars are rented from shops and collectors. Close has to be okay. Like the man said how many John Q Publics know the difference.

Plus that how would you like to have your car tied up for months filming for a modest paycheck like these owners get. I knew the owner of the principal car in LA Confidential and he didn't see his car for weeks at a time. Ask Pete Chapouris about how they treat a car during filming. His '34 in The California Kid got all chewed up.

12. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

If they can afford to pay the latest flavor-of-the-week actress/actor, then they can afford the cars.

That's why i thought that the business idea of having multi-era cars was a good one IF the people running hollyweird gave a damn, but they don't.

13. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

If they can afford to pay the latest flavor-of-the-week actress/actor a zillion dollars, then they can afford the cars.

That's why i thought that the business idea of having multi-era cars was a good one IF the people running hollyweird gave a damn, but they don't.

14. i know people that rent cars for movies, they don't pay for your time to sit or drive your car, in what could be a week, shooting a scene. they kind of get what cars they can, and as said, a lot of "runners" shined up.

15. What I dont get is why they get cars wrong so many times...you'll see a movie set in 1965 with a 1969 car...maybe I'm one of the select few who would know the car is out of place? Its a simple thing to have gotten right...heck the title has the year on it!

16. Drive Em

Drive Em

In alot of the episodes of Dukes Of Hazzard, uncle Jesse is driving a long bed 3/4 ton pickup in one scene, and in the next scene he is in a short bed 1/2 pickup!!!

17. because it goes something like this;
    assistant of an assistant to the director; "hello i am looking for two dozen cars for a movie, set in june of 1963"
    car supplier " ok i have two dozen @ 600 a day car and driver"
    ass' " are these cars we can bang up"
    supplier "no they, are private collector cars and the owners will be driving them"
    ass' "can you get cars we can bang up? and can we do it for $400 a car?"
    supplier "i will see what i can do"

18. Hates Chrome

Hates Chrome
    from Iowa

There isn't a good TV show on anymore. That's what I've got the HAMB for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.