Register now to get rid of these ads!

My swap meet find of the month!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bullington, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Went to the Monroe Washington swap meet this past weekend and scored this for $50.00 frogskins! It made the entire trip for me...

[​IMG]

2. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

And it is a puller for.......

3. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

or a press for.......

4. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I looks like it is a puller to remove the rear brake drums off a car with tapered axles.-Tad

5. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Correct it is a hub puller for tapered axles i.e. early fords. It is a major pain in the ass to remove them without something like this.

They make repros but they are $$$

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Well if your car is a driver, you can effect the "POP!!!" by loosening the axle nut a half turn or so, putting the cotter back in and driving it till it Pops. Good find price on E pay is well into 3 figures. Also used on Mopar, Studebaker, AMC, and some others International maybe.

Did you get the BFH to go along with it???

7. You did good, the last one I saw for sale they wanted like $80 -

My last really good swap meet find was one of those crank style universal bumper jacks, something they made last in like the late 50s. It's nice because the hook will actually reach an inch or so below the base of the jack, and it has a folding leg on the back to steady it. I paid $5, the guy came down without me even asking, and it works fine. Now I just have to go out in the junkyard and see if it will really help getting cars out of the mud.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Not to make you feel bad but I bought one of those brand new off Ebay for $25. the auction ended at 3:30 AM and the picture that was on the auction showed it in the box with only the hex end sticking out and nothing of the three struts. The opening bid was $25 and I knew instantly what it was and stayed up late to bid on it right at the end. NO bids, Frank scores.:cool: :)
    The guy only lived 20 miles from me so a nice drive with the wife and dog and shipping was taken care of.

Frank

9. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

" Correct it is a hub puller for tapered axles i.e. early fords. It is a major pain in the ass to remove them without something like this. "

I cheated; my dad has one just like that one hanging from his garage rafters, also has one very similar except it is equipped with a slide hammer.-Tad

10. They're also used for early 60's mopar hubs.

11. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

NICE SCORE dude, they are getting way harder to find!!

12. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I just used one the other day to get the rear drum off my Hudson. Couldn't have got it off otherwise.

13. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

Man, im glad u know what that is used for cause I have one that my grandfather left me and never could find out how to use it. Thanks.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you have a hub that is REALLY stuck on the taper be sure you are not squating or standing in front of it! Once they pop they can fly into the shop and you don't want to use your face to stop it.

15. Good score. I'm looking for one for my 57 Dodge.

16. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

what brand is it ? i got one from my Grandpa when i was doing the brakes on my 65 scout i think it is a craftsman good score

17. ive gotone, identical to it, and boy you can really pond the hell out of it, We use it on ford 2 piece axles and on jeep 2 piece axles. last spun jeep axle/hub, we had to heat it (the axle/hub) cherry red, and use an air impact, and then a big assed sledge to get it off. and the puller never missed a lick, slipped or even so much as gave a thought as to giving out. You will love it the first time you use it. Its like using a good steering wheel puller only better :) and no busted knuckles or lips either hahaha

18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Good idea while pulling to leave the nut on, keeps the stuff where its supposed to be when it lets go.