Register now to get rid of these ads!

My son doesn't like cars, but my daughter does?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Heavy, Sep 9, 2008.

1. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

I didn't know football dads came into the car lifestyle too. My father knows nothing about cars, and anytime I've revved a badass sounding V8 car of mine, or bike he just doesn't feel anything. I came into cars all on my own and they are my life. Always have been, always will be. He's a basketball player, and powerlifter and never cared what I chose to do hobby-wise. He encouraged me into school for painting, and has been there through out everything for me.

If my son wants to play with barbies and easy bake ovens, so be it. You should care about their personalities, morals, and respect levels over what they decide they like in this world.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They keep telling us we have a rotten attitude. We have a different attitude but that doesn't make us rotten.

- Ed Roth

3. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

My son is young, but has shown very little interest in old cars so far, his sister however has liked old cars since she was 3! She spends a lot of time with me in the shop, she love to use the blast cabnet! ( which is great cause I don't ). My oldest Daughter kinda likes old cars but only soso. I don't force it on them though. If thats what they end up likeing thats cool. If not, oh well. Even If my girl grows out of her car phase , I will always have fond memories of her hanging with me! My son hangs out to but not as often!
    [​IMG]
    My daughter Hope, standing in a 36 ford bed we just shortened
    [​IMG]
    Hope running around in the background!
    [​IMG]
    My son Johny and I striping all the good parts of this poor f-1 ( someone's rat rod attempt )
    [​IMG]
    John likes th use the impact ( turned down of course )
    [​IMG]
    All 3 kiddos " cruising " Abbi, Hope, and Johnny

I just try to let the kids have fun with me. If they want to hang out in the shop make it fun while they are young.

4. sbin

sbin

Great thread!
    My dad had 0 mechanical ability.My mother used to "borrow"
    My 69 GTO and had her fathers love for high power convertibles.
    I disassembled my mothers sewing machine at 3 years old and have been building bicycles,motorcycles and cars for 40 years .
    My sons/daughters are interested in cars but only driving them.My 6 year old daughter loves to help around the shop and shows strong mechanical ability.
    Like some other guys I make tool sets for my kids.Some for their trunk and some for their garage.
    Most serious repair work finds its way to my shop but that is fine with me.Better done right by someone that cares.

5. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

Truer words have not been spoken.

6. derbydad276

derbydad276

my eagle scout, all area football, playing son broke my heart when it came to cars

my daughter likes to race 2010 national point champion and had to retire because she out grew the car says she cant wait till she gets her drivers license so she can steal my f100

Attached Files:

7. that kid's messed up!

8. this hits home I have two boys one likes 4x4 and my oldest loves anything fast. she was driving my old 70 427 nova one day and an ass in a crx came on next to us wanting to play, she put a gate job on him that i am sure his buddys still razz him about I asked her where the hell that came from she smiled and said I am your daughter. tears in the eyes

9. Zaq

Zaq

Phases. I grew up with my dad racing circle track and all his friends always had muscle cars and choppers. I loved them. I was rebuilding carb's when I was 3. Ive been on riding motorcycles since I was 4. My jr,high/ high school years, I still loved cars, but did nothing about it...a car show here or there maybe. But wasnt on top of my head....girls...paintball..video games...other things were.
    Now Im 21, kicking myself in the ass I didnt get a project years ago, but at the same time Im happy, that now I am forever stuck in this wonderful world of hot rodding, instead of the muscle cars. (still love them, but now I know what i truly love).
    Guess what im trying to say is, theres a point in I think most peoples lives, where you gotta get away from things for a while. But now that Im back, im here to stay, so, give your son time, im sure he'll be back

10. threeston

threeston

I got a thing for metal. I think it started when I was young. I brought home a wagon full of "captainite" (taconite) and railroad spikes when I was ~5. I bought a schwinn bike frame from my cousin for like $30 around age 12-13 and my dad helped me build it up from parts. He had some guy weld on side panels and tank panels, I bondo and sanded the frame to smooth it out, painted it red metal flake. It was awesome, my mom sold it to some mexican kids for way too cheap at a garage sale one summer.

Now, I still love cars and motorcycles and stuff. But I also still have the metal fascination. I like to go to the steel store and shop around.

I don't have any kids, but my dad is amped that I am going to be an engineer. (no pun intended).

at 16 I was hopeless with video games, skateboarding, snowboarding, and weed also.

I dont really have a point. except that yea, its built in, or it isn't. some people love the iron n steel, others just want a reliable driving appliance. You can leave it for a while, but it never really leaves you.