Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my sketchy 55

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8FLEET9, Sep 27, 2009.

1. lawman

lawman

Very Very nice ride !!!!!! Tom ( Tired Old man)

2. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

good to see progress comin along nice

3. Nice, don't worry about using centerlines, use whatever you can to get it rolling.

4. glassguy

glassguy

looks awesome man!! that was quick! im psyched for ya..

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Come'n along real nice

6. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

first car show, got nothin but positive feedback on this old shitbox

[​IMG]

also, to any of the experts following this build; school me on disc brakes please. i know i want it cheap, manual, and readily available at the parts store as far as rotors & calipers and such go. what spindles should i use/look for? i know i can order a new manual disc master for short $. thanks.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  7. Butch M

Butch M

Man that thing is bad ass.

8. chris55

chris55

Man that thing looks great.

I used a 68/70 Nova manual disc/drum master cylinder. Sorry but I can't remember what proportioning valve I used. I have 70 Chevelle bearings, disc, and calipers. I bought the brackets at a swap meet, from some guy who made them, got them for $20.

Might want to check this out though, its about the same amount as I have in mine.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c544b9451

9. Your 55 looks like it would rob me in a dark alley.

10. That car has came right along and is looking good but be carefull with whatever lug nuts you're using on the front, don't want to loose a wheel.

11. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

thanks alot, that's exactly the look i was going for.

that kit is lookin' pretty good for the money. thanks.

good lookin' out, the lug nuts thread on fully on all the wheels. i do plan on changing out all the studs though anyways due to the fact they're all old as dirt.

12. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

It cost me $470 to do my 55, that was through street rods by michael the local parts store, but i am doing it again for my 57 now a piece at a time more through the parts store and speed way. it included bearing, hardware, dust caps, brackets, cali.pers, pads, gm disc/drum proportioning valve, rotors, steel braided lines, 1970 chevelle manual dual master cylinder and it stops on a dime. You can get the master at advanced for $15 all day, and all the other stuff from the junk yard for dirst cheap like the calipers, turn a set of junk rotors, and then just get the bracket kit from speedway. its pretty easy to do depending on whether you wanna spend money or do leg work.

13. lorodz

lorodz

looks great ...what happend to the centerline fronts

14. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

the center line fronts are in the back corner of my shop because i need longer studs & lugnuts with a longer shank, but i want to swap in some disc brakes so i figure i'll just wait & do the new studs, brakes, and wheels at once.

15. freebird101

freebird101

16. Sonny Depalma

Sonny Depalma
    Member Emeritus

Hang in there you'll get her done , when I got mine it was just a body and chassis and a bunch o parts!

Attached Files:

17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have all the part numbers to put disc brakes on your stock 55 spindles. Bearings, races , seals, rotors,calipers,hoses, and disc/drom master cylinder. Twenty years ago,one of my customer's bought a kit to do his 55 Nomad. I kept all the part numbers and, and all available through your local parts store(s). I'll dig out my old "book of notes" at the shop tomorrow and post them on this thread tomorrow night.
    Nice job on your 55. Your car looks great!
    Baron

18. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

thanks alot man, i really apprecieate it!

19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are the numbers I have. The basic brackets come from Speedway. May be other suppliers who are just as good (quality and price wise). Part #916-31915 (BRACKET KIT ONLY)This kit fits '69-'72 11" GM midsize rotors and '69-'77 GM midsize calipers to your '55 Chevy.Here are the related parts from your local parts store(S)
    Wagner Rotors #52-1022074
    Wagner Brake hoses #98912
    Wagner Master Cylinder #F73342 or NAPA 36280 (bolts to the two lower existing studs on the firewall.
    Timken inner and outer bearings A2 and A6
    Dust Caps #13977
    I have done this a number of times, and it works well. The numbers should be correct, but some may be superceded. Hope this helps.

20. 2Loose

2Loose

Very cool info Baron, thanks for posting that, it's in my own "book of notes" now....
    Aloha,
    Willy
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

21. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

racked up some real miles on this shitbox today. about 50 i'd say, here's what i learned. seam around the radiator petcock turned green, prolly gonna blow out. so i want a new radiator. manual drum brakes have been deemed tolerable for now, now that i have 4 non-leaking wheel cylinders. gas gauge does not work and gas leaks out of the stud for the sender, this is bogus cause the gas tank looks brand new as does the sender, whatever cheap & easy. rear tires get into the quarters over good bumps. i'll add coilovers cuz i'd rather not raise it up any. transmission & shifter suck. gotta get something even slightly better. driving a stock-o 305 with timing gears, tunnel ram, & loud exhaust is pretty goddamned fun, & nobody at the gas station will ever question me when i tell them "it's a 327 with a 3/4 race cam"

also girlfriend slammed the door and spider-webbed the window. bogus.

22. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

23. rockguy92

rockguy92

You have really nailed the stance and look of the old gassers. Congrats Bro!
    The Rock

24. 2Loose

2Loose

(quote) racked up some real miles on this shitbox today. about 50 i'd say......... (end quote) Way cool man, can't wait to get the first couple runs in on mine, still a couple months away...

just a comment on motors....
    although they are a pita to find parts for, i like the older v8's from the general for these apps, especially the olds, buicks, caddys......
    doing the 67 olds 425 for mine cause that's what i had around and had the parts i needed for it. Also have a 57 olds 371 motor but they are harder to find parts for, so saving it for another project. An old friend I hadn't seen for awhile passed away recently, at the funeral i asked his son what happened to the caddy 472 that was sitting in the back of his shop for years, always had my eye on that motor, he said "I hauled all that junk to the dump!", I almost cried....
    It was a complete, running motor, in good shape, would have been great in a street "gasser" or rod of some kind......
    oh well....
    Movin on....

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

25. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

The double nickel looks wicked! Chris55 is right on with the '68-'72 chevelle brake parts. Used rotors, calipers & proportioning valve (make sure to get all the fittings for the valve!) with store bought brackets (any tri-5 outfit ) on mine. The rubber line for the rear will tie in the large line to the back. Again, bang-up job man!

26. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

The double nickel looks wicked! Chris55 is right on with the '68-'72 chevelle brake parts. Used rotors, calipers & proportioning valve (make sure to get all the fittings for the valve!) with store bought brackets (any tri-5 outfit ) on mine. The rubber line for the rear will tie in the large line to the back. Again, bang-up job man! Missed Barrons post, sorry , but there's my two cents.

27. geage

geage

[love it!!!!!!]

28. lorodz

lorodz

looking good ,,hey i was wondering a friend of mine has a pair of 15 x 10 centerlines just lioke your front same style exact he dont want them i was wondering if you wanted them so you could have the matching pair 100 bucks takes em plus shipping ...let me know ..

29. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

thanks alot guys. i got to admit i figured i'd be getting alot more flack do to it's "unkempt" appearance haha

good to hear man, i'm a huge fan of the fast gas cadillac. i wouldn't mind goin for a hell ride in that machine. my boss & i actually have a few cad 472/500s kicking around the shop at the moment. 1 is gonna find it's way back into a 71 coupe deville, buit at least one of the others will find it's way into something it really shouldn't be in;)

30. lorodz

lorodz

you may aswell put that name on the quarter panel "The Sh$t BoX" i think its far from it but you named it ...