Register now to get rid of these ads!

My "rodfather"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slefain, Jan 4, 2010.

1. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

I usually don't like to promote myself but I think this might hit a few of you at home:

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/a...lArticle.xhtml?articleId=59212&entityId=59212

Some of you guys know Richard Van Guilder, he's a Georgia rodder out of West Virginia originally. I was lucky to grow up in the house next to his. He became an adopted grandfather and more importantly my "rodfather". I'm ashamed that I haven't kept in touch with him over the years since I left home, but he made a helluva difference in my life. I'll let you read my editorial for the rest, but if you think about it I bet you have become a "rodfather" to someone at one point too.

Mods, if this falls under "shameless self promotion" feel free to can the thread, I won't be mad.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. ok, I get the point and its a good one. thanks for sharing, great write up also.
    Really hits home also is the "take a kid to a car show". good stuff

3. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

good stuff - wish I would have had a mentor like that...........instead I wasted quarters on Dragons Lair

4. screwball

screwball

Thats cool I wish every kid had a positive mentor besides gangsta rap videos and other negative crap thats out there now a days.

5. "Rodfather" now that really fits-you were very fortunate.

6. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

You are lucky to have Van as a neighbor ,friend and mentor.

Van is a great guy , The knowlege and stories he can share are priceless.
    I always enjoy his visit's.

7. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Thanks guys. Yeah, I have found myself several times acting as a "rodfather". I work with a church Mechanic's Ministry and I try to teach the young guys how to work on the older cars that come in. At the same time I swap stories with the old mechanics and we talk about working on real cars. The old guys are always happy to talk and I always try to think of questions to ask. But if it hadn't been for Van I'd never know how it all started. Having a foundation to build on makes me love old cars that much more.

8. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

While I'm at it, if anyone knows Van send me a private message, I never got a new number for him when he moved.

9. willymakeit

willymakeit

Mine was Oscar Lewis, he also was my auto body instructor.