Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Roadster is running Hot! Any Advise????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CARPY, Aug 6, 2016.

1. CARPY

CARPY

A common issue I know but thought I would run a pair of temp gauges "Stewart Warner" that I bought from Speedway last week, mounted to each cylinder head by the water outlet, I at least would get a temp reading, but after about half an hour she will run at 235, that cant be good, I am sure of there was a fitting for the true radiator reading it would be lower.
    She blows a little water when I stop but how can I tell she is not getting too hot? As I think the heads would be hotter than the radiator as the radiator gets air through the core all the time and head does not, so- is this a true reading???
    myrod57.jpg
    Hope you can advise as I love my ride.
    myrod55.jpg

2. My temp sender is in the intake manifold and mine runs about the same on a hot day. But, I don't think it's all that accurate. Not sure what I'm going to do about it.

Edit: I may try one of those temp gun things and see what is says.

3. alchemy

alchemy

If both side are independent, yet read the same, I think they are probably right.

Give us some details and maybe we can make some suggestions to lower the temp. What did you do to the block to clean the water passages before assembly? What radiator? What fan? Any high compression or big ignition advance?

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Do the old trick of removing the thermostats and see what it reads. Your left side looks good.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in the more info camp too. Timing? Is it too "late" (retarded a little)? Late timing heats up the heads (combustion chambers) quickly on a hot day, also tends to get higher as you roll about town but may back off a little in longer non stop driving. Temp guns are cheap now. Check the radiator where it gets picked up. Back to my 1st sentence, more info...