Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Melzo, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Neither was I when I started out. I am only 24 bud........ refer to my avatar or look for pics of my car in the banger threads.-Weeks

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All for doin' what ya want, but I do tend to agree with those who suggest that at least a 2-door would be better, and a coupe or a roadster mo betta even...and selling this one with that goal in mind. But I would not sell this one only to get another rougher 4-door that's "a better canidate to be hot rodded".

3. Honestly 4 doors are desirable to restorers because people have families they take on tours and cruises. Seems alot of people I know with Model A coupes,trucks, roadsters who have had them for a long time or more then one model A prefer a sedan for extra room and capacity especially 4 doors slant window variety. The late 31s are extremely popular and expensive as any late 31 model A has more value to it. From a restorers standpoint its a car that takes more heart to build because it has alot more specific parts then most of the other cars ford constructed.

I always find it interesting that the coupes are more valuable to people then a sedan. Even though a sedan originally cost more and will cost more to restore or hotrod (more metalwork). I think its because people think Coupes are "Cooler". The "Cool" factor is what everyone on the Hamb hopes to accomplish with whatever they build. Personally I would look to trade for whatever I wanted if I did not want the sedan. There are plenty of other cars still out there.

This is a good platform for someone to start from, not a late 31 but as Chris stated a blindback which is worthy to most restorer types, and it has alot of potential to go either way IMHO. My advice is do whatever makes you get down the road with a smile on your face Chris.

Fab32 why insult so many Hambers with your ending statement?-Weeks

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  4. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I have to agree with most here.
    It's your car and do what you want with it.

It could be a fun cool car with no fenders and hot rodded, but I have funded many many projects by getting a deal, selling it for more money and buying again.
    You could make some cash on this one, pick up another car and have money left over for the build.

I have nothing against a four door for a build, I'm looking for a car to build and not sure if I'm going with a two or four door car.
    I can't say if I would flip that car or build it. I would have to figure what I could get for that car, then see what I could get for the money.
    You might find a car with very little rust, fenders gone already and a half done chop and have money left over to start on a nice engine for it.

Either way you are going to have a cool car.

5. Kerry67

Kerry67

I agree....Chop it, drop it, prime it, drive it..........

6. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

I appreciate everyones comments. The car wont be sold cause I picked it up from a friend whos cutting up a two door A and part of the terms of the price were that I DONT sell it. I do love my 51 though so I'll try and keep it if I can.

7. I also would slide the body on an aftermarket pair of deuce rails. I love a highboy [got one my damn self] but that silly look with the tires above the roof? Nah...that's just "one-up-manship" in my opinion. Park it on a pair of deuce rails, dropped axle in front and c'd rails in back to keep the rear wheels in the fender wells. Model A fordoors are cooler than tudors IMHO..Selling the parts you don't use [in hemmings?] will generate some $$$ to build the engine/trans of your choice...which is also your free choice to make.

8. Toner283

Toner283

Cut it. Like it has been stated, there are lots of restored model A's. if this was an original, shiny paint, nice interior survivor it might be different but the pics show it to be a project car.

Why spent 25-30G's on restoring a model A that will be worth 15-18G's when finished??? Piss off a restorer, build a hotrod. :) I like to park our coupe between two restored A's when I go to car shows if I can, makes for a good contrast. I had one restorer ask me what we had done to the car, he got pissy when I told him we had fixed it:D

I do agree with Chris though, don't cut it up unless you are going to finish it. would suck to see it cut apart & then junked due to lack of skill/ambition/time/energy.

For all of the guys stating that there are lots of chopped & channeled fordor model A's - lets see the pic's, I can only think of 1 fordor A that I have seen on the Hamb that has been channeled and it is not chopped. so post up the pics please for all of us to see.

to all of the guys who are saying to restore it, I believe you logged into the wrong board. You should probably be here: http://www.fordbarn.com/

9. Here is a pic of my old mordor chopped and channeled... Have fun and post pics as you go.

Attached Files:

10. I'd like to see it so you can still use all four doors. Fenderd, hiboy, or channeled

11. chop it up! do a build thread....

12. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

I wouldn't think twice about roddin' it... Ditch the fenders, slight chop, no channel, probably ditch the 'A' chasis too.. maybe go with something more obscure (late 20's early 30's GM or Mopar, w/ parallel leaves and what not, or maybe something along the lines of Essex/Hudson).. dropped axle, juice brakes, artillery wheels, bias black walls, a cool dash (like '38 Chevy maybe, from a Master though w/ all the trinkets), slide an old inline between the rails (Chevy, Ford, Flat Head Mopar, Buick 8), or if I was feelin' fiesty I've got a couple rockets (2 303's, and a 394), a manual trans of some sort, probably an Olds rear since that's what I have layin' around, coat it in deep blue, simple no frills black interior, maybe cream pinstriping on the belt line (cream wheels too), finish the wheels off with the caps of your choice and rings, hood sides w/ no top, chrome the grill shell, and a few little accents on the engine and chasis, I'd run lever shocks too.. and a few other odd pieces too.. no extreme chopped channeled frame laying abortion but a fun little hot rod with lots of soul..

13. Deuces

Deuces

So much for tryin' to preserve a piece of Dearborn history.... :( Oh well..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  14. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Now I understand. I would have to agree with the other guys. Sell the parts you dont use to a restoror. Chop it. keep the leather top. and make it a hotrod! Just try to make it a nice hotrod. Make it clean. smooth. not just rusted up and big motor because thats whats "Kool". Just MHO

15. JoeySwass

JoeySwass

DO IT! Those are way better chopped and dropped.

Unless you get a kick ass offer from someone, have at it and make it what you want. There's already plenty in museums.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Because that's how I see it and from the posting since I'm not alone. Besides, what's wrong with stating my opinion...............ever done it? If not try it sometime or are you one of the mealymouthed bystanders that never say what you think and then find fault with anyone that does?:(
    BTW, if your insulted by what I said you wouldn't have made it a week on the old HAMB. Back then if you made a miscue someone would have you for lunch and leave your bones to rot in the sun.

Frank

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'm agreeing with you fab32
    How in hell can that statement insult anybody? Shit fire, it's certainly the truth. People getting all wrapped around the axle, "don't cut it up", "save it", "restore it", sure as hell ain't spreading the gospel of traditional hot rodding. Since OP already stated his intnetions, if there's any posts to be considered insults, it's the ones that are telling him he shouldn't do what he wants with his car. It's his fuckin' car. If he was planning to restore it he wouldn't be here, he'd be over on another board.