Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new project...Survivor channeled Deuce Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thequietwon, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Where in this thread do you get that idea that he will do that? I have seen his 5W coupe in person several times. The man clearly knows what he is doing.

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It don't say, and I don't say that he is ruin the car!

But unchannel it, and scrap the hood, then the car is all lost, and becomes the car Everyone and his dog has!
    In this case the car will become a belly button. I know this refers to Chevy small block, but I find that it's fits a 32 roadster build just like every other 32 roadster.

3. Amen!

I'm ready for update pics!!!!

JH

4. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Find!

[​IMG]
    Dig the "mustach" front end!
    T

5. Mart

Mart

Anyone notice how the front wishbones have been used upside down? I don't think I ever saw that before.

Mart.

6. Don't worry. That will all get ripped out... :D

To the OP, I'm just jealous. :)

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Gotta keep it that way......gotta preserve the past! Just like the crude angle iron mounts for the nerf bar. ;)

8. Mart

Mart

Actually it occurred to me that it would be a good idea to use some wishbones that way up and use the (now) lower part as a shock mount. Cut it off, drill and tap for a shock stud. Just sort of thinking out loud.

Mart.

9. F&J

F&J

Sharp eye there. Thanks for pointing that out to me with poor eyesight.

No, I sure never saw a spring ahead bone upside down, but have seen spring over bones that way.

So, I still can't get a good view of why he did that. My only guess is that it must be due to tie-rod cleareance for whatever type of spindle/steering arms he used? Why else would it be, any ideas?

If you use 32/34 spindles that Henry had the tie-rod above, they don't work very well with 35-up bones that Henry had the tie-rod below.

I just went through that misfit, with a hambers 32 that has 32 undropped heavy axle and 32 spindles, but with 35/36 split bones. By flipping the bones, I not only could get a tie-rod to fit, but also gained a 1/2" drop from the way the bone perch yoke was thinner at the bottom, compared to the top one that is thicker for the spring perch that was cut off.

Attached Files:

10. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I congratulate your purchase. I looked it over on Thursday and I did not know it was for sale. I guess it was not to be.
    I understand your delimma, not sure what I would do. A long time ago I had a chance to buy this car. Probably a good thing I didn't buy it because I probably would have unchanneled it and forever ruined it.
    [​IMG]

11. F&J

F&J

Ah, Grasshopper ...:D I am way ahead of you.:confused: Sorry I don't have a newer pic of that 32 that just left here yesterday. I did use that fat stub where the orig spring ahead perch was, to weld a shock stud to it. But I did think about drill/tap, but there is not enough stub left for thread depth.

The car owner was getting help from his group of "steet rod" friends, and they put on those modern bolt-on lower shock mounts that fit to the bottom of the spring perch bolts. It's his car, but I just could not build it with thise mounts:D I tried to use logic on what might have been done for mounts. I originally hinted to the owner that my 32 has shock studs welded under my dropped axle, but that was not really the idea he wanted.

12. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Cool car. This is how you're supposed to roll with a unchanged, unruined, channeled, old skool Roadster. Period.

Attached Files:

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now...where to draw the line on preservation.
    I don't envy the OP in having to make his decision on that!

Me...I simply love the look of a channelled car.
    Therefore I would leave it as is in that respect, BUT still do a cleanup of the less than proportional aspects.
    Fenders and nerfs gone...axle remounted in a traditional style but with the wheelbase reset to factory.
    If the floorpan is too high for comfort I would rebuild it for a lower seating position and foot room.

Yeah...thats changing it some, but its still untouched in the major respects and remains an undeniable old Hot Rod.
    It would now look better, be more comfortable and also be more likely to have the tires driven off it...THAT being the ultimate game changer.

For me...getting driven rules over preservation & display.

Do what you must to make this car work for you man...but always be respectful to its history.

14. F&J

F&J

he, he....yours is a '30/'31 Mopar roadster.. The first 50s build I bought in '71 was a '30 Mopar roadster and it also had the Ford truck grille shell like yours....but mine was full fender.

15. This thing fookin' rules! Wow!

16. Mart

Mart

That green one does look good, but even then it's a little too low at the cowl. But imagine how it would look with the front wheels moved back about 5". It wouldn't look as good.

Mart.

17. 30FordNerd

30FordNerd

I love survivors.

18. Tony LaMasa '32 aka Ricky Nelson roadster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim Khougaz
    [​IMG]

Crawford/Stroner
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Larry Hook owned Norm Wallace roadster
    [​IMG]

19. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

It's not mine. Dude in next town owns it. Its the "Art Russell" Plymouth.

20. thequietwon

thequietwon

It is really hard to argue with the channeled versions above. However...
    I gave all the "leave it alone" people a chance. NO ONE contacted me about the car. Thought about it all night. Bottom line is I have to be comfortable & enjoy driving it, so....I made a decision. If anyone wants an east coast roadster "accessory" kit I have one available. It damn sure looks like shit on my Highboy...;)

21. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. I'm sure you will do a great job on the build and people will also enjoy it as a highboy also. Post picks of your progress.

22. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

As another tall person, I think you're doing the right thing. If you can't drive it, what good is it to you?

Can you recess the seat into the trunk a bit? Maybe with a detachable headrest for driving comfort? I've given up on cars this size so I'm interested to see your choices.

24. How much do you want for all that "garbage?" I'd be interested...

Oh, and if I could afford a '32 roadster I would buy one! I'll just have to settle for my POS Chevy :).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  25. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

thequietwon has spoken !!! I admire the man making a commitment to build what he really wants and needs to suit himself. 11 pages of pissing and moaning and nobody took the time to encourage this man to follow his dream. The main treasure here is a Prime Henry Body. This is the survivor factor. Many have pointed out that there are build defects and some even called the car ugly. I will be looking for a new build thread as the current owner brings this survivor up to the build standards that this Old Henry deserves. Jeff

26. 34 Plymouth Hemi

34 Plymouth Hemi

You bought the car with a vision of how you wanted to build it!! Build it the way you want and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!!

Same thought process the last guy had when he built it into the way it is now!!!

Who's to say he didn't change someone elses build??

Build it and drive it, they don't do anyone any good sitting in the garage!!

Bob

27. amen!!!!! got your back on that one all day long. The only reason they call cars "east coast style" is to make sure that ugly un-proportioned cars would have a name for themselves and not be classified with cars with style.

28. Obviously you skipped several pages,from the onset I have been in Sams corner,so has several others.

Sam builds some very nice cars and this one can be as nice as any roadster around. HRP

29. F&J

F&J

I don't agree on the part that I underlined, but that is beside the point.

I admire thequietwon, because he has graciously offered to keep the "ugly kit'' together and has offered it to a potential new "builder".

Let's say you live in Kearny Nebraska, and recall a goofy looking hotrod from your early childhood, and then 50 years later, you ran across the complete pile of all the important pieces that made that goofy car what it was?

I don't consider the main body as a critical missing piece, as well as the frame, engine, rear. Those are obtainable, but the goofy parts are not.

TWO cars could happen from this thread. Is this a stupid idea?

30. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I too have an "ugly" kit. My '32 came to me in 1972 with cutdown '33-'34 Hudson Terraplane front fenders and corvair bumpers welded over a early tube nerf bar kit. I know these were done to try and make the car Pa. legal. Over the years I made simple ss shaft bumpers and mounted up '36 spare cover front fenders. I know I messed with the "original" build but I just thought it was ugly! I think the OP's changes will only improve this cars proportion and its drivability . For me I'd hang the junk off it on the wall; just to document history on her.