Register now to get rid of these ads!

My New Project, Attn. Boones

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayfarer, Mar 21, 2004.

1. wayfarer

wayfarer

Well, I just got back from the 14 hr. drive to Redding, CA and back to pick up my new wagon. It's the best start I've ever had to a car project. Has a rebuilt 235, 3 on the tree and is straight and rust free. There are only two little dings in one fender and a couple in the top, we're talking like the size of a quarter. Runs and drives, oh and even stops. Now I just need a donor car with a newer six, auto tranny and rear so it'll be easier for my wife to drive. Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Donzie

Donzie

Cool. I like it.

3. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

So whats the plan for you new longroof?

4. sawzall

sawzall

AWESOME.. DIG THAT. i'D DRIVE MORE THAN 14 HOURS FOR ONE OF THOSE

5. wayfarer

wayfarer

Shit, I think I was sleeping when I posted. It was 1400 mi. in two days. We actually drove 14 hours just yesterday. Left 4:00 friday afternoon and got back 11:00 this morning. Good thing we have a big truck. The plan is to just get it reliable and drive it. My wife doesn't like the three on the tree, so I'll probably buy a cheap 6cyl nova and swap over the engine, tranny and rearend. Other than that, I'm going to paint it to cover up the previous owner's bad paint job, put in some door panels and recover the front seat. I'm going to paint the stock wheels body color and run them with the stock hubcaps and whitewalls. I'll lower the front end about 3 inches this week. Other than that, nothing else for now. Eventually, I'll throw on some disc brakes and maybe a mustang II front end. Just going to be a cool reliable driver that will get better mileage than the wayfarer's built 440. It'll be a cool ride that can haul lots of crap camping or from the swap meet. You wouldn't believe the looks and thumbs up that we got just trailering it home.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Do the 235/T-5 swap, you'll be happier with the fit.

7. Rocket88

Rocket88

I like!
    If the 235 is rebuilt, do what Root said, or buy the adapter kit and put a turbo 350 behind it.

8. wayfarer

wayfarer

The T-5 swap is pretty easy, huh? Got any tech on the swap? I do have a T.H. 350 that I could swap in, who makes the adapter kit? I just thought I could probably pick up a six cylinder nova for cheap and use the whole drivetrain, but if a T-5's not a bad swap, maybe I'd do that. Don't have alot of money right now, since I'm unemployed (just finished school) and my wife and I are closing on our first house next Thursday. I would really like to make it easier for her to drive though.

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hell ya, Damn nice start... Looking at those pis I see you got a great ride to play with.

If you are going to want a newer 6, do a 55 and new with the good oiling system (ours suck). you will want to look for a automatic rear end also out of a 53/54 if you are going to leave it stock (assuming you are going to put an automatic in it.)

Congrats.

10. Rocket88

Rocket88

Sent you a PM.

11. purple

purple

<font color="purple"> You were here and didn't say hi? I've never seen that car around, but there are a lot of old cars that aren't out and about often enough to be seen. </font>

12. wayfarer

wayfarer

It hasn't been registered in 16 years. I was only there for about an hour. Picked up the car, stopped at Arbys by the outlet mall and headed north. We left Bend at 6 saturday morning, drove and picked up the car and spent saturday night in Biggs on the Or/Wa border. I'm just glad that it was kept in a barn and in that dry california air. NO RUST!

13. MilesM

MilesM

14. Wayfarer,
    That's not a plymouth so what year is that dodge? [​IMG]
    Good lookin' project friend.
    Talked to my buddy today finally he's been out of town doin' the swapmeet thing. He doesn't have any of those Hurst shifters we had talked about anymore. Sorry.

15. 53Chebby

53Chebby

Hey Wayfarer, you aren't gonna want to stick with that engine and go through the hassle of adapting a later tranny to it. Since it was the manual transmission it used the babbitt oil system and they sucked. If it was an original powerglide car for '53 it would have a little bit better oiling with the oil pump, but still not a good system. Do like Boones said and get a '55 or later, just change the water pump to a shorter one and I think it's pretty much a bolt in deal as far as engine goes. That's the route I was gonna take, but my father-in-law picked up a nice v-8 in trade so I'm building that for it now.

16. Satinblack

Satinblack

That is a nice start, goodluck! [​IMG]

17. wayfarer

wayfarer

Yeah, I knew about the oiling thing. I'm looking for a cheap 6cyl 70's nova that I can swap everything over from. I think that'd be the best way to go. I'll worry about the suspension next winter.