Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. The coupe will look good all chopped down . That's a pretty cool looking Chrysler hemi sitting there . Get at it ! Its a long winter !

2. Been a few days and was able to get a little done . I am starting on the cruiser skirts . Lots of figuring out stuff on this . Slow but sure I'll get there . Have a look ! Andy..

Attached Files:

3. metal master

metal master
    from burt iowa

The 51 chev back glass will not work for ur chop, i have chopped a few buick of this year the glass that comes the closest I'd 51 Lincoln four door or two door sedan. The chev back glass will turn in to soon so u can not conture the corner correctly

4. Thanks for that and I have made my way around that issue unless it comes back and haunts me again . You dont know the grief this put me through last winter .. Andy..

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure do admire your pluck, Andy. You're not afraid of anything!

6. Thanks Jimmy , At times I say , self what the f**k are you doing playing with these rusted out pieces of shit . But then again what else is there to do ?? LOL!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  7. Got a good jump on the skirts today . I sure am glad I purchased the English wheel dies last year ! Shaped up this panel pretty well ! I had a little done on the panel on Thursday but only got back to it today . Took about 5 hours of shaping and fitting to get it right ! I screwed up on my final measurement and cut it a little short at the front part of the wheel arch . I don't know if you can see the little blunder or not !! Wont take much to fix it but shit happens !! Oh well ! Andy

Attached Files:

8. Was in the shop again for a bit . I was able to get the arch shaped up and fit . 1st picture is the top of the skirt wheel arch tacked in as well the second . I used 5/16 CRS to establish my straight line at the top of the arch . I cut into the body so the 5/16 would fade away to nothing so that the skirt does the same , fades away into the body as well . Last picture is an attempt to visualize the whole panel !! Squint and maybe you'll see what I see . LOL !!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  9. Been a couple days and have a few progress shots . Starting to get there . Tieing in everything takes time but I think that I am moving along at a pretty good rate . I will and a filler bride from skirt to quarter panel to cut down on filler used . I shrunk the panel tight at the rear and it rounds into the body nice but I think that I am not done with it yet !! I still have to climb under the car and tie in the rear part of the quarter panel behind the rear wheel . This will stiffen everything up so I can massage the part of the cruiser skirt that needs shrunk . Its just a little to much movement to put the heat and planish the area until its completely tied in . Have a look ! Opinions anyone good, bad or the ugly ??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  10. 53'BuickAZ

53'BuickAZ
    from Phoenix

You're the man... today I looked at this entire thread, WOW to say the least. My 53' Super project is currently in progress, down to bare metal and working on some rust repair. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Thanks 53 . It sure has been a challenge but I am getting there . Your 53 looks to be almost as bad as mine LOL ! Kidding aside It looks pretty solid . Should have more updates on the weekend . Andy..

12. fitzee

fitzee

its been awhile but your moving along nicely..its come a long way

13. Thanks Fitzee , are you going to be able to get back to Flatliner soon ? Andy..

14. Well that's it until next Saturday . I have to do some painting in the house before Christmas season is upon us . I started laying on some fibre glass at the skirt to body joint and also around the front leading edge of the skirt . Obviously the last picture is of the next step , the opening ! I need to get some MDF board and some wall grout to make my shape pattern from . Compound shape big time I am seeing here . This should get interesting . I wonder how many pieces of sheet metal I will go through ??

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      477.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      482.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      188.7 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      420.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      183 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      179.6 KB
      Views:
  15. fitzee

fitzee

no I have it stored away for awhile. picked up a driver.51 chevy deluxe. going to get all my work in order and thin the heard.I have way too much to do without going at mine.

16. Got a little farther along . Didn't get any time in the shop this weekend but a few hours this AM . From a flat sheet to a semi formed skirt filler in about 2.5 hours .

Attached Files:

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking great Andy!

18. I really like your work on your car too Andy, but I have to admit I wish I could see your vision for the skirts. At first I thought you were making cruiser skirts that would attach to the side of the car but then you left a wheel opening in them so I wasn't sure. Regardless, I'm anxious to see where you take this. Keep up the great work!

19. Thanks Guys . Dave the look will be the same as a removable cruiser skirt but it will only be the wheel opening that will be removable . I will attach it the same way as fender skirts and keep the line at the arch opening as tight as possible so it looks like one big skirt . So think of the main skirt as a quarter panel and I am just making full fender skirts . I will have some out door side profile shots tomorrow with the wheel opening in tact and hopefully formed better to the opening . Right now it is over laid over the main cruiser panel . Stay tuned !!!

20. Some profile shots from different angles . The look of the size of the rear panel will be interrupted once I get the rear bumper installed . For now it will have to be as I have a job coming into the shop tomorrow . Probably be at that for this week . Then back to the Buick . I haven't started bodywork around wheel arches or anything yet so the opening gap will get fine tuned once the filler process starts . Have a look ! Andy..

Attached Files:

21. robleticia

robleticia

Looks great Andy!

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What he said ^^^

23. Thanks guys . Hopefully I will be able to get this in epoxy primer soon . that will change the appearance and give the car a more getting er done look ! Andy..

24. Been plugging along . Nothing really worth posting in the last 6 weeks . But a little is done . Quarter panel right side 80% complete and I am working on the rear as well adjusting trunk gaps and such . Installed the taillight bucket also . Progress is progress . Hopefully into primer in these areas shortly . Starting the mock up of the rear bumper . Put it somewhat in place to make sure all is lining up , Looks good so far ! Later , Andy..

Attached Files:

25. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Man alive, that finish work on the roof is all killer and no filler.

Inspiration thanks andy.
    I'll get some updates up soon.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Thanks Shane . I often thought what you were up to with the Buick . Still working away at it ? The pictures are a little deceiving there will be a skim of filler just to make it all come together but it turned out good to say the least . Stay tuned , Andy..

27. I really hate to say anything as I´m really impressed with this build, but I have a little constructive criticism to offer. The lower edge of your quarters seems to take a bit of a dive down away from the line of the rockers and it looks a little off to my eye. If you lift it a little to line things back up, I think it would look rather better.

Likethis....

[​IMG]

What colour are you planning?

28. James D I know what you are seeing . If I had better shot of the cruiser panel you could see why this is . I wanted to have the effect of being low cruiser but in reality it is the stock ride height . So when creating the panel I had to swoop it down from the rocker at that point back , across the opening to the rear of the wheelarch . The rounded lower rear panel is what I have to work with so the quick swing upward is what I will have to live with . Maybe there is room for a little manipulation of the panels ?? Criticism is always welcomed , especially the constructive kind . As for color I am kicking around a sunburst gold color or the other side of the spectrum a midnight teal metallic . I have the interior material already and it is two shades of creme . Feel free to throw something up based on the two color variations I am leaning on . Thanks again , Andy

29. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

My first thought was the same
    As james comment. However a curve is necessary, how much is a matter of taste. Also considering how the bumper comes in to play , will be a big factor.
    I went the same route with full handmade cruiser skirts. Then backed off on the lower radius.
    Ending in a almost stock curve
    Just lower towards the rear. Balancing the upper and lower quarter lines is key. Coming from a guy that chopped his top three times. Do it till you like it.

30. updates . Well I had quite a time to upload some pics. Anyway, resized and ready to go . I took JamesDs' advice and adjusted the line of the rocker panel to flow better into the cruiser skirt. The rear ? well that's another thing . I have to mock up the rear bumper and then mock up the exhaust . I may dump it out under the rear bumper wrap around . This will take some of the roundness of the quarter panel return away . The new panel for the wheel opening is a bitch to get right . I don't know how many trips I made from the English wheel to car and back . I spent 3 hours last night rolling this panel and welding it up and still not completely satisfied or done . :mad: The dark part under the skirt at the front is just fibreglass that hasn't been sanded and top coated with Bondo yet . The wheel opening panel is coming though . I made the opening the same front and rear because I noticed that they weren't the same and I didn't like the looks of the panel .The front arc was , well not an arc but a straight line and the rear of the panel had I nice arc to it . All is good now ! I am waiting for some rubber fender welting that I will Bond onto either the body or the wheel arch panel . This will clean up the opening dramatically . Hope to be in primer on this panel by the weekend .

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014