Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Diamonddrew dig right in to that project and post some pics . If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask . Good luck on the build . Andy
    Glassguy hows it goin . Yeah I am a little anal when it comes to the garage . Stuff gets used and at the end of the day I have to put everything away even though I will use it tomorrow . I am having a hard time staying on track with the work as I want the roof whacked also, Bad to say the least . It will be done this winter for sure lord willing . Andy...

2. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

Here are a couple. When it arrived and mocking up the engine and trans last weekend. I will defiantly be asking questions, thanks.

Attached Files:

3. Looks like a good start to your plans . I will subscribe to your thread . Post more pics when you can . What did the guy use for a frame ? Andy..

4. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

I will start a thread soon, I was told the frame is from a 78 Regal but I am not sure, here is a picture of it.

Attached Files:

5. That should work out well so long as it was stretched the 5.5 inches for the longer wheelbase of the Roadmaster . Maybe it needs more than 5.5 seeing that it is a Roadmaster ??? My Buick WB is 121.5 inches . What is the Roadmasters ? Andy

6. roaddog

roaddog

hey andy i'm glad to see that you are back in the garage again.it looks like things are starting to come together again.i just got my seats back so i'm really stoked about getting back in the garage myself.keep in touch!

7. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

The wheelbase is 126.25 and the frame has been stretched. I mounted the body last week and it fits great.

8. Dana ,glad to here it . Have any pics posted ? I am going to check out your thread , Andy PS you going to Dutchers this weekend ??

9. Wow another 5.25 in stretch over and above my stretch . And I thought my car had a large wheelbase . I knew the roadmaster was a longer bodied car but I didn't know how much . Later , Andy...

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nah not this year...havent got a pot to piss in money wise, what little extra I got is going into getting the shop a little more usable for the winter so I can hopefully get a little more done on the 47. Flatheadfever and I went last year, got wet and muddy and looked at alot of overpriced stuff lol.

11. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

Your 51' is really coming along. Having a 48' myself I know what you are going through ...each and every bump in the road.

Great job ..... keep the pic's coming.

12. Thanks Super . Do you have any pics to share with the rest of us on your build ? Andy

13. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

Andy...Attached are some pic's of my car. Most of them are the first time I went to buy it. The rest are of the upgrade to air bags on the front end. I need to take more pic's since I have come quite a ways since these were taken.
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks, Dale

Attached Files:

14. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Dale that looks good! Start a thread with your build pics and progress so we can all follow along

15. robleticia

robleticia

yeah, what Erik said!

16. Wow Dale that car will be sweet when you get her all back together . The paint looks real good from the pics. Wish I had the coin to bag my car as well . Not a priority for me right now as you can see LOL !!! Andy...

17. Was able to do some work today but man this stuff is slow . Cut out the bad stuff on the A pillar and had to make all new lower part of the pillar . Have a look . I had to weld a nut to the backside of the panel for the lower fine thread screw . The cage nut was long gone so I just measured and welded the nut in place . After about 7 hours of work today this is all I was able to accomplish . :mad: More to follow in a few minutes . Andy...

Attached Files:

18. A few more from the work of today . Some of this stuff makes you just want to pack it in somedays . Imagine I have to do this all over on the passenger side . :eek: Andy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  19. Keep at it man. It's lookin' good. I know it gets frustrating at times but you just got to "pick at it" a little bit at a time and before you know it you'll be driving that Awesome Buick.

20. Racrdad

Racrdad

Stick with it Andy, one step at a time and you will conquer it. Looking good from here!

21. Thanks boys for the words of encouragement . I really wouldn't do it but at times it seems like the only option . I was having a problem getting the drivers door to close properly . I have been screwing with this off and on for two weeks . I went inside and put comealongs to the door and then I seen the problem . The brace I had holding the door opening in check was preventing the door from completely closing . I cut the brace out and the door is now 90% better . Sometimes were idiots at this stuff and dont see the obvious . At least I am anyway !!! LOL , Andy..

22. Well a little more got done . Pissin down rain , might as well be in the garage . I am in the process of rebuilding the passenger side inner and outer rockerpanels . I used 1/8" x 5" plate for the inner rocker and 1/8" plate x 1" for the return. I welded onto the side of the frame the new body pads that the body will bolt to . You can see one finished in the previous thread. I have yet to drill 1/2" hole and bolt it down but you guys get the drift I am sure . The 4th photo shows the inner rocker clamped in place . I then welded on the bottom part of what will be the rocker panel pinch weld area . I welded it on before I button up the front face of the rocker . The previous owner had two rockers made up but they were too big for this application although they the correct shape I still had to cut them up and weld them back together .The last picture is of the top part of the rockerpanel at door opening ( sill ) This is as far as I got today as there was lots of measuring on this side . !!! Andy

Attached Files:

23. (You can see one finished in the previous thread.) Well I guess I didnt post any pics of the so called previous thread . So have a look .

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  24. Pictures would be nice !!!!

Attached Files:

25. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Please start a thread. That airbag setup looks good.

26. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Keep going Andy, its like the johnny cash song in a way but your making your parts one piece at a time.

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,but i am sure that the result is a lot better than it was in Johnnys song:D
    Keep it up!

28. Thanks boys for the words of encouragement . Sometimes I have to step back from a project for a few days . When I get back at it its all good and I dig right in again . I want to get to the fun stuff so bad ( Chop ) . I have to have everything welded up in the floor before I cut the only structually sound piece of the car , the roof . My plan is to have the floors from the tailpan to to the middle of the car all welded into place by Christmas then its chop , chop , chop . Andy

29. Updates from Saturday Oct 8 . Frame pad on the passenger side and then clamped the inner rocker in place , door gap looks good . # 5 the outer face of the rocker is welded into place . Fits well . And then I capped off the rocker end . I will weld a new quaterpanel from this point back . More to come . Andy...

Attached Files:

30. More from today. What a mess . This is the inner structure that is at the B pillar post to the rear wheelwell . Not much left but enough for a pattern . I had to make this in two pieces then weld it back together on the car . Its coming along . Took about 2 hours to fix this up . Not to bad . No sence getting to fussy as it will never be seen .

Attached Files: