Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my new pickup. 1928-29...ish model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingpins, Feb 13, 2012.

1. kingpins

kingpins

just picked this up from a grape farm in elizabethtown NC. seems to have all the looks of a 28-29 A except for the rear part of the cab...maybe a 31 sedan. it looks like it was done a while ago. also the door molding looks to be larger than typical 28-29 ford door molding maybe to pull off the look of the sedan rear. in any case i love it!

Attached Files:

2. kracker36

kracker36

Thats a great find. What are your plans for it??

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

looks like they did a good job nice find!

4. verde742

verde742

Gee, it looks well done,, so many times it is a mess, this looks Great !!! Good find...

5. I believe it is a 28/29 Tudor sedan body that has been shortened. The wide belt line narrowing in the back is the same as the 28/29 Tudor. Someone did a very good job shortening it. Good find.

6. Crankhole

Crankhole

I'm picturing this one with big 'n littles. Nice find.

7. kingpins

kingpins

when i saw it in the dark i dismissed it as a 31 cause the rounded rear cab. till the next morning i saw the molding and something looked odd. they did an amazing job with the sedan rear on the out side and the inside. doors shut perfectly.

plans are to keep all the sheet metal stock along with the fenders, hood and bed. replace the spokes with steel wheels (its a running driving truck and it makes me alittle uneasy feeling the wheels flex around curves lol) i got a 4 inch dropped axle for it and brake upgrade. id like to get it alittle lower than stock height just enough where the steel wheels and tires fill out the fender wells better. going to put a 2.3 4cyl in it and keep the hood shut. and havent really nailed down how id like to have the suspension set up in the rear. my other As still use the buggy springs so id like to try something alittle diff. had a idea for stretching the frame to meet the end of the bed and see if i can use really light parallel leafs in the back (which i stated on another thread on here and was met with both positive and negitive feedback). id like to see if its possible to get the "look" with that setup. we will see. if not ill scrap the idea but id atleast like to try it. i plan on NOT chopping it. i like these trucks almost stock as is.

8. kingpins

kingpins

i think your right, after looking at some stock 28/29 pics of sedan thats exactly what it looks like was done. but i cant believe how well whoever pulled it off. theres only slight hints inside where it looks like things were stretched/shortened/pie cut. they even kept all the wood in it and joined the wood together to make it work.

9. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Man, looks awesome. I have been considering doing the same thing with a 28 sedan body that I have. Please post more pics.

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Best of all it has a full tin roof...

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

12. I like it, a lot.
    Thought about doing this to one myself.

13. steves29

steves29

Thats what I did with my tudor. Get creative with the belt line.

Attached Files:

14. Nice! Now go drive the tires off of it!

15. kingpins

kingpins

thanks guys. i love the truck. swapping the frame right now cause of a couple cracks in it, then putting the suspension back under it with a few upgrades to the frame and suspension. but for the most part it will just look stock but lowered with diff wheels. just got the frame finished up monday night. i will take more pics of the cab for everyone.

16. kingpins

kingpins

im thinking of doing the same parallel leaf set up on mine and running the fenders too. what springs are you using?

17. steves29

steves29

Drivetrain and rear suspension out of a 53 ford Customline. moved the spring mounts in to width that worked with the lengthend frame. Chassis is only gonna work with a pickup. I want a coupe. Next project I hope.

Attached Files:

18. kingpins

kingpins

very nice work steves29.

19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

20. shep_911

shep_911

21. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

22. kingpins

kingpins

some updates.

Attached Files:

23. kingpins

kingpins

more update

Attached Files:

24. kingpins

kingpins

hoping to get my wheels and tires on this week so i can put it on the floor

Attached Files:

25. You really don't waste much time! You'll be driving it in no time.

~Alden

26. kingpins

kingpins

lol yea im trying. just remember...this big stuff is the fastest part of the whole build...its the small stuff that will nickle and dime you to death and take the most time for me. but its coming out way better than i expected. the rear suspension had me nervous at first cause theres alot of guys who dont think parallels look right on A trucks but im hoping to sway them alittle by keeping it super simple and super clean to pull the look off without making it look like a failed attempt. my goal was to make it look like it could of happened from the factory back in the day. maybe it will turn out ok

27. kingpins

kingpins

little update on my pickup

Attached Files:

28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Now that is neat !!
    And I like your ideas on keeping that body as it is !
    Cheers.....

29. Big Nick

Big Nick

I love those before shots! I would have rolled it as it! But I am sure it will be sick when you are done with it!

30. kingpins

kingpins

thanks guys. nick i did drive it for about 2 months stock. just wasnt my thing i guess. it did ok but alot of things bothered me like its lack of speed...i wasent sure how dependable it was ( cause i drive all my cars alot) and the amount of neglect by the previous owner on alot of things that just needed to be done right. i just wanted a clean simple slightly lower than stock truck with the dependability of a my daily car. so i figured id just strip it and do it like i want with a few ideas i had that havent seen done alot.