Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods my new gas tank sucks I hate it!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbones32coupe, Jul 11, 2010.

1. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

when i restored the model a i bought this summit fuel cell and mounted it in the car just so I would have a clean fuel tank and i have had so many problems with it i am going to take it out and smash it. first of all it is a plastic tank and i thought that it would be good cause it would never rust but instead it warped . second the gas cap gets stuck so bad i need a scewdriver too open it if i can get it open. third the sending unit will not work because it is so warped that it hits the side of the tank. Wtf this is brand new! My point is they do not make things good any more. Now Im going to be stuck with it for a while because I'm on a budget. I really wanted a moon tank but they are so $$$$$

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

3. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Plastic gas tank.... and you are unhappy with the results? Really?

4. Is your cap vented? Sounds like the tight cap is causing the walls of the tank to collaspe.

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Okay, I'm sure there's a major problem, BUT, how long have you had the tank installed and when did the problems start ? That's an important factor in the entire process.

JK

6. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

read my mind

7. Did you ever look at the cap and twist the opener, it only needs twisted about an 1/8 of a turn to engage the locking tabs. I think you are trying to close it like a regular screw on cap and that's why it's stuck.

8. Dirk35

Dirk35

No, no, no......I got the same Summit Fuel Cell and my cap sucked also. I took the flapper disc to the tabs and that made it better but it still sticks sometimes when its hot outside and is frustrating.

Gbones.......take the flapper wheel and go at the cap until you think it wont hold itself on....itll make it better, really. As far as warping, make sure you installed it with straps all the way around if you didnt.

9. Terraizer

Terraizer

I got the same tank in my scout (was to be a temp tank till i could build one but that was 8 years ago) I have the same problems and thought mine warped because its mounted out side in the bed, you get what you pay for it was cheap.

10. rat deuce

rat deuce

I had similar problems with one of their plastic tanks,finally switched it out for an aluminum one...

11. Raunchy

Raunchy

I had one of their aluminum ones with the same lid. It is NOT operator error it is a crappy design. They are made in Tyler by RCI. So I went down there and they told me to take it up with Summit. A guy that makes their aluminum cap and metal fillers gave me one so that fixed that. Then the tank split and all the brackets broke off of it. Yes it was insulated with rubber and mounted right. I patched it till I got home. Welded everything up. Split at a seam again. Took it to RCI they told me to basically F O. That it was an old tank deal with Summit. It was less than a year old. So I pulled it out crushed it with my tractor and sold it for scrap. That made me feel better. So I built a new tank. And it has been in for a year with NO problems. I will never buy another RCI product ever.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  12. Had the same problem with the gas cap on my poulon "wildthing" chainsaw...

13. fleetside66

fleetside66

My 1924 Federal-Knight truck gas tank is working just peachy, but I do have to use a ruler to measure how much gas I have left.