Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My new '49 ford coupe.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by madkarl, Jun 17, 2017.

1. madkarl

madkarl

Hello! I just purchased (a month ago) this 49 ford coupe. It's my first Ford and I'm totally digging it! My plan is keeping the body as is and eventually it'll get some wide white walls and cast iron headers porter dual exhaust.

What's the best way to keep the body as is? I heard I should clear coat it or use bar keepers friend (which i have no idea how that works).

Attached Files:

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks to be in pretty good shape, and in my opinion deserving of a higher quality finish. Your car, your choice, though. If it were mine, I'd try to find some original side trim; it breaks up the "slab-sidedness" of these cars. (Is that even a word?)

BTW, I have had cast iron Fenton headers on my '51 for 30 years and love 'em.

madkarl and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. ...don't clear coat it, that looks bad, it looks fine as is, it ain't gonna fall apart , it took 68 years to look like it does....looks like a neat old car,...BTW,...barkeepers is about like Comet Cleanser,..you don't need that.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    madkarl and scrap metal 48 like this.
  4. Brand new wide white's are going to look out of place with all that Patina. You need to get Yellow walls or just leave the Black walls. I also agree, no clear coat. Just let it keep going as it is.
    The Wizzard

madkarl likes this.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah a lot of the stuff people put on wore out cars to keep them that way make impossible to paint it nice later. Just hose it off and cruise until it's time for bodywork it ain't gonna melt

madkarl likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Not that you asked but I'd cut and buff the remaining paint and then lay a couple coats of wax on it

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool as is...

madkarl likes this.
  8. ...so nice www's don't look good with old paint?
    cokers 7-30-16 033.jpg

sparkplug92, madkarl and WillyKJr like this.