Register now to get rid of these ads!

My "new" 39 Ford Standard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MattStrube, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

2. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Hmmm.... I wonder if my Fedex account discount applies to cars too?:rolleyes:

3. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Great find, very cool..........................Rich

4. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

How much for the shark now that is bad azz should have bought it HAHAHAHA nice 39

5. bonesy

bonesy

I blows me away how a wheel tire change can make a car. It went from a nice looking street rod all the way to cool hot rod.

6. MattStrube

MattStrube

Really? I guess the car sat, and was really only moved from one garage to another, so the battery never got charged. That makes sense. I'll keep an eye on it.

Guys, any thoughts on a good fan that'll work on an alternator, or high quality electric?

7. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

what are we cooling off?

on the alternator, I will give You an example. when I was building the cutlass, I decided I wanted a ton of amperage on demand (lots of various crap I couldn't live without at the time.)
    So I had this brilliant Idea. The dealership I worked for serviced most of the local ambulances. part of the service included replacing alternators on a regular basis, if they worked or not. these things make close to 190 amps at around 3000 r.p.m., so I figured I would be "okay" in the power department. after buying one as a core from parts, (10 bucks!) I took it over to Texas alternator and had a buddy there "hot rod the hell out of it"

yikes.

the first time I fired the car, it promptly blew every single bulb in the dash. followed by both headlights. what I ended up doing after taking it back was installing this GIANT alternator pulley on it, to slow the charge r.p.m. down even further. now, it does nothing unless it is over 1800 r.p.m., but then it goes straight to 14.5-15.5 volts. I killed off 3 or 4 amp meters, so true amperage is unknown. if it acted like a stock alternator and charged right at start up, I suspect it would be doing lots more harm than good.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  8. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

congrats drive the hell out of it.

9. MattStrube

MattStrube

Yea, I can't leave well enough alone.

10. MattStrube

MattStrube

11. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

what does it have in it for radiator/ engine? I might have a fan laying around You could try.

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That thing is clean. Did you have to let the roadster go? I would have a hard time after putting so much work into it... but I guess better to do i this way than to drive it a couple years and get attached.

13. M.Edell

M.Edell

What a beautiful car!! AAAA+++!!

14. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Great looking car, those black walls look good. I got to paint me a set of wheels black and get some black wall's before the moonshine fest. in Dawsonvile.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  15. MattStrube

MattStrube

Stock Flathead, Stock Radiator.

16. MattStrube

MattStrube

Oh no, I still have it. Working through some electric fuel pump issues now. Trying to find something that can go on the firewall. I shouldn't have plugged the fuel pump pushrod hole...big mistake. Lesson learned, AGAIN :)

17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not to sidetrack, but how did you plug it? Freeze plug? chunk of fuel pump pushrod with a split collar and sealant? (mine was done this way) pipe plug?

Seems you could engineer a puller of some sort... unless you did something nuts like removing the bushing to drill and tap the actual block. And even then... what about getting another plug then just bore it out for a bushing?

18. MattStrube

MattStrube

I'm a dummy...I used JB Weld, and a home-made wedge plug. I was more worried about it coming out and bouncing around in there, getting stuck in a lifter bore...

19. MattStrube

MattStrube

If I can just find an old school looking fuel pump, and pressure regulator, I'll be fine. Add the hood, and electric fan, and go. :) Seriously, there is NO room for a fan in there.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  20. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

Some guys have all the luck. Great car,enjoy.