Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new 1965 chevy c10... Praise the Lord!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theylive, Dec 2, 2012.

1. theylive

theylive

I was gifted "ol' blue" my great uncles 1965 c10 that he followed down the line at GM back in '64 and drove off the line! I still can't believe it... I'm beyond stoked!!! I've got so many memories of this truck... especially when I was caught playing in it as a kid and my uncle Jim wouldn't let a soul touch this truck. She runs like a champ and needs nothing mechanically except an engine cleaning. I would like to change the stance a bit (lower and level) and I never see the mirrors that I have on other c10s... but I dig em'. Please throw any ideas or suggestions about the truck my way. Thanks
    <a href="http://s3.beta.photobucket.com/user/mkowalski/media/DSC00036-4.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s3.beta.photobucket.com/user/mkowalski/media/DSC00029-5.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s3.beta.photobucket.com/user/mkowalski/media/DSC00034-2.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s3.beta.photobucket.com/user/mkowalski/media/DSC00038-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s3.beta.photobucket.com/user/mkowalski/media/DSC00037-2.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. slammed

slammed

Maybe clean and detail the engine and surrounding sheet metal, bury the paint in glaze and sealant after the lowering and keep the truck 'till you pass on!

3. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

If it hasn't been touched in all those year then I sure wouldn't change a thing on it. If it was good enough for your great uncle the way it is now it should be good enough for you to. Good luck with it, great looking truck for sure....

4. slowmotion

slowmotion

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Good advice there. Needs nothing but cleaned, preserved, & maintained. Congrats!

5. 61 chevy

61 chevy

looks to good to change any thing,

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

nice truck,only original once.clean up the engine compartment..drive it

7. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Pug Man nailed it. Keep it exactly the way it is. With the family history it would be a shame to change anything. Just keep everything mechanically sound. No detailing, no changes.

Awesome truck, you are one lucky guy. Thanks for posting!

John

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  8. Diggit. I see what the other guys are saying but you arnt doing any thing that cant be changed back. Ot ya could put it on a slammed s10 frame

9. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Don't change anything you can't easily put back to stock........Nice ride

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

1. GMC grille and tailgate.
    2. Maaco.
    3. Orangutan named Clyde.

[​IMG]

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

64-66 Chev and GMC stepsides are just about the coolest pickups made. As suggested, just do a bit of lowering without ruining any originality. Drive it as is.

12. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

As Slo, Pug and Gary have said "Needs nothing but cleaned, preserved, & maintained"
    Seriously, that engine bay IS clean. Its a damn fine truck as it stands. Do what Uncle Jim taught you: Keep it clean, check the fluids, treat her nice and she'll never let you down. Uncle Jim trusted you. Show him, and us, that he made the right decision.
    Keep an eye on that radiator, don't change it out but make sure that you remember to see what it is telling you.
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

13. L7

L7

Have you drove trucks with that style of mirror before?
    Just a word of caution- they can create a big blind spot- be careful!
    they have that cool old hauler look to them though.
    L7

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Congrats! The only thing I'd change is to get rid of the residential rug and install an original pattern carpet.

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D There are only a few things that I would do to it.
    1-Check out the brakes completely.Rebuild if necessary.
    2-Clean and wax.
    3-Drive the wheels off of it.
    Great looking truck.Congrats.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I agree. Surprisingly to anyone who knows me, I wouldn't lower it an inch....only thing I'd do, I'd go with a rubber matt instead of carpet.. I absolutely love this body style Chevy, especially stock three on the tree/six banger. I've been without my '64 for five years, and miss it more now than I did when I sold it.

17. That engine isnt 100% origional for a 65. It has electronic ignition. The valve cover on a 65 dont have a hose going to the air cleaner and a sealed breather cap. The steering wheel& horn ring is a custom cab item . the aluminum grill is a custom cab item also. the crome trimmed dash knobs are custom cab items too. You uncle maybe could have had those custom cab goodies installed as he followed it down the line? Still its a nice truck. My first C10 was that color blue. OldWolf

18. slammed

slammed

Add a sway bar from a 1/2 ton or bigger Chevrolet truck from the newer ('70's up) it will amaze you. And YES Checkerwagon the engine compartment IS dirty. A few hours of careful cleaning will do wonders to it. Bravo on the sweet blue step side.

19. Sidewinder777

Sidewinder777
    from Dayton,Nv

Nice lookin truck, only advice i got is drive,enjoy,and make it yours!