Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration My Mud Dauber Nest Collection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobss396, Apr 24, 2016.

1. As promised, the mud dauber nests that came out of my Ford. Some were in the heater plenum, some under the dash up high. Like how one was wrapped around a wire.
    42-005.JPG 42-006.JPG

Stogy and Jet96 like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reminds me of having to make a trip into town from a little wrecking yard in the next town over from where I live to get wasp/yellow jacket spray as they were very serous about guarding the AD truck I needed a part out of.

3. I got an SBC bare block from a guy one time and every hole had a mud dauber nest in it! o_O

It took me forever to get it all cleaned out.

4. oj

oj

Assume any carb thats been sitting on the garage shelf has holes filled with muddaubers, them things can breathe anything. I once did an edelbrock that had the fuel crossover hole plugged with about a dozen of them, one would go in to build a nest while another was doing the same blocking him in.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

critters in old cars makes them more interesting

Stogy likes this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Another reason to like Canada. We don't have bugs like mud daubers :D Every time I'm in Texas I am always amazed with the hordes of different bugs that I have never seen before. :)

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

No telling how many of those dirt clumps I knocked off of my car when I started working on it, never thought about them being a collectible. More of a nuisance than anything else.

Around here, if you store anything with a hole in it like a carb or piece of tubing or hose, you better plug or tape up the end of it or when you do get ready to use it, you'll be digging that crap out with a stiff wire and blowing air through it!

8. afaulk

afaulk

I have never had them build on anything that was greasy or oily. I'm going to spray PB Blaster all over things I want to protect. Results to be posted next winter.

9. samurai mike

samurai mike

if they are in a car we call them rust daubers

10. I have hunted up in your neck of the woods & I'll take the mud daubers any day. Those black flying things are miserable. DEET is your friend there.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll tell you what, I will compare the Canadian list of nasty biting or stinging insects to the Texas or southern US list any day.
    The US list will be twice as long :D

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Blue...Over here in Ontariareaireo we have those suckers. They seem to be more of an old building house thing though. I have 1 Dauber nest in my collection of interesting things. I've never been bothered by them. Yellow Jackets and hornets that's a different story. Reading some of these bug stories creeps a man out.

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Et-phone-home.jpg

bobss396 and gas pumper like this.