Register now to get rid of these ads!

My little girls 1956 Dodge Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Carachi, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Well...here goes. If you read my Introduction Posting found here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573333
    then you already know that this is a Father/Daughter project that I can no longer put off. As daughters have this horrible habit of growing up and getting older. One day soon my little girl who used to sit in the passenger side of her Jeep Power Wheels reading a book pressing on the go pedal with her left foot until she hit something then reaching down and putting it in reverse and repeating the process over and over will be gracing the world with her precense on the open road. You should all be very afraid, I am. None the less, if she is going to be out there, I might as well wrap her in some good old American steel. And who says just cause it's old and cheap it can't be cool? So begins the story...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

3. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

It all started damn near three years ago when she shot her mouth off and said she wanted an old pickup for her first vehicle. I hate to admit this for the world to read, but it had to do with the truck that Bella drove in the Twilight series. I also really hate to admit that I read the entire series as well (but it was just so I could better bond with my daughter, I swear). So, during a deployment I spent my free time looking for a truck that might A: fit the bill and B: I could afford. I found a great deal (which my father taught me is when one guy wants to get rid of something and another guy wants it) and proceeded to call the guy from Iraq. I couldn't tell him when I would be home or how soon I could pay him for it, but I wanted it. Of course he was a little skeptical, but he stayed true to his word as did I and the first weekend I was home my wife and I made the two hour trip to pay the guy (another lesson from my father, I will trust you till you prove to me I can't). For an extra $50 he offered to drop it off at my house, and I readily accepted. Less than a week later and $800 poorer, this was gracing the street in front of our house.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

I imediately proceeded to break of the drive key on the distributer while trying to get it running so it took me a few days to get enough parts to start it and enough tires to hold air to move it, but we finally got it off the street and into the carport where you currently see it sitting. Fast forward almost three years and I'm finaly starting on the project. During that time I have picked up a few things. The wheels you see on it I found once agian while I was deployed and sent my wife to get them for me. 17" that used to be on a mustang. An old man was cleaning out his garage after his son went to college and I picked them up for $100. Like I said, I wasn't even here, but for the price I took the risk. They bolted right up. That same trip I also bought a power window kit, door popper kit and a complete wiring harness. Also after much looking and patience waiting on the right thing I picked up a pair of power/heated seats out of a Grand Cherokee for $150.00. I have found that to be the hardest part, having patience on the right thing to come along as opposed to buying the first thing I see that might work. But I finally started, and that was the hardest step. Here you can see the gutted interior and the pieces that came out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Here are a few more pics of the truck as she sits. I was told it has a 318 drive train out of "something" in it, but the guy I got it from took it as payment on something he was owed for and really didn't know a whole lot about it. Maybe one of you experts can look at the pics and tell me what I have or at least tell me where and what numbers to look for to find out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The SRT8 actually belongs to my wife. I tried very hard to convince her to let me use it as a donor car for the project, but she wasn't going for it all. And don't ask me why my wife needs a SRT8 Charger...I came home one time and she told me she found the car she wanted. I thought, and still believe that she is insane, but I realized she has to be to be married to me, so I did the appropriate thing and got it for her. As you might be able to decerne, the women in my life are kinda important to me.

6. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

That's cool. I have driven by your house quite a bit and wondered what the story was on that truck. Good luck with it.

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Way to go man......lowered and some whitewalls and she will be going.

8. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

So its Saturday and the first day of a three week vacation. I have spent the morning shopping and picking up a few things to work on the interior of the truck and am waiting for it to warm up just a bit before I get started.

Plans for the truck start with painting the interior and installing the wire kit, windows, door poppers, seats and steering. I am keeping the original steering column for now, cutting it down about 6" and putting a grant steering adapter on it. I am also going to utilize the brackets that exsisted for the original "3 on the tree" to build an external shifter for the automatic transmission. I intend on using the glove box in the center for the stereo (leaving the door to cover it) and cutting out the area on the passenger side that is cut for guages on a right hand drive model, and turning that into the glove box. The seats are going to be pretty simple as I just need some angle iron for brackets and I will make the door panels and liners myself (with the wifes help...fabrics are more her lane). Staying with the original column I will be using a old school column mounted blinker control and for the windows, heated seats and whatever else, I plan on using just run of the mill toggle switches. Think Ford GT.

Hopefully anyone who checks this out enjoys it or at least gets a kick out of it. Maybe even an idea or two for their own project, but thats not the reason I'm doing it. I'm doing it so that 1: It is documented for my daughter and 2: so that you guys can shoot me your ideas and suggestions. I grew up a mechanic, it was geneticly passed on from my father, but this is my first project like this, so I am always open to suggestions or critisism (constructive or otherwise).

9. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Yeah, I plan on dropping it, at least the front end, and planned on simply flipping the axles on the springs. It looks as though on the front end if I do that I am going to get into the oil pan on the engine and need to modify the steering controle arm. Once I actually drop the oil pan this may not be a huge deal as the pan is ALMOST cut out just right for the axle, but not quite. If anybody has any suggestions on different oil pans for the 318 that might work though I am certainly open to suggestions.

10. Racewriter

Racewriter

What you have there is a standard, low compression 318 out of something from the mid-70s (the color and carburetor are the giveaways). It'll run forever but be, well, short of grunt. Compression is probably below 8:1, valves are tiny, and the carb is tiny as you can see. A pair of heads from a late 80s Dodge truck 318 will help with compression and breathing, and a basic 4 barrel intake/performer carb will help too. Plus the cams in these things are TINY and MILD. If you can afford it, an Edelbrock Performer Package (cam, intake, carb) will work wonders.

11. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I was kinda guessing mid 70's but like I said really had no clue. As long as it runs and gets it around OK for now, thats all I am hoping for out of the motor as it will be one of the last things that gets my attention. When it does come time to work on the motor though, I'm sure I will lean on you guys pretty heavy. Mechanics are not an issue, but I just don't know alot about Mopar stuff (i.e. what year/size/etc. is interchangeable).

12. cool project! i had a panel that year those are great trucks! on the oil pan issue how deep do you need to notch it to clear the steering? back before moroso made pans for chevy 2's to clear the steering we used to weld in a tube for the crosslink to go through and it worked great. those 318's will run forever.

13. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

I swapped a set of heads like stated, with the jegs kit that inlcudes a cam right around 500 lift, and also did the advance springs and performance module for the ignition and it was a whole new car, cool project. that two barrell will get awesome gas mileage just make sure the rod is adjusted on the side for easy starting in the cold.

14. wally426ci

wally426ci

The numbers on that motor are under the driver side on the side of the clock if you want to know exactly what you have. Looks like a good project. It has a later model tailgate. The old ones had Dodge stamped in the metal.

15. That is an awesome story please keep us posted and Thank you for what you are doing for our country! I also have a 56 Dodge mine has a slant 6 in it don't hesitate if you have any questions that I can help with just shoot me an email at [email protected] Good Luck your going to have a great time!!

16. George

George

Is the pan a rear or front sump. cars are front, vans & pick ups are rear. If you switch you need the pan, oil pump pick up, dip stick & D.S. tube. I agree with the Edelbrock Performer cam, carb & intake package

17. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Do us all a favor and chuck those wheels off a cliff.

Cool truck, and a cool project. Remember this is your daughter's truck, and keep all safety issues in mind. Maybe do a Volare or Dakota front suspension swap so you have IFS, PS, and Disc Brakes and it will be safer and more comfortable to drive. Plus with either of those front ends, it will still remain 100% Chrysler.

18. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Sunday morning and still peeling bondo off the fingers. One of the many lessons I am sure I will learn during this project...50 cent latex gloves are worth it. Like I stated before, mechanical almost comes second nature, I can figure out machines, but body work...never ever done it. Thats what body guys were for. But, I had a few holes and rust spots I needed to fill and I think I am finally getting the hang of it.

All in all I don't feel like I got much done. One door interior striped, filled and primered. Spent what seemed like half the day looking for a spring for the door latch assembly (to no avail) and drilled a 3/4" hole for the door popper in the wrong spot (about an 1/8" off). But hey, if it was easy everyone would do it right? I did get the the steering shaft and cloumn cut, but at this point I'm being cynical and figure I probably cut it in the wrong spot too.

Anyway, I appreciate ya'lls posts and ideas. Eventually I will get around to the motor but as long as it gets it around for now I'm cool with it. As stated, in a perfect world it would have the 6.1 out of my wifes car in it, but I figure first I should do things like put wires and seats and windows and stuff in it. 400 hp just isn't much fun sitting in the garage.

And though they aren't exactly the wheels and tires I would have choosen, if I chuck 'em off a cliff, I wouldn't have any. And for $100 what can you say, their round and hold air. And though there is a good chance I won't do a complete front end swap, I do plan on front disc brakes. Which if I remember is how I very fist found this place, looking for conversion ideas and ran across a thread reffering to rustyhope.com.

As far as the oil pan issue, it is a front sump. I still haven't dropped the oil pan, but at one time in my life I dropped a 200 inline six Ford into a MGB (don't ask) and had to notch the oil pan and extend the sump on it to make it work, so, I'll tackle that problem when I get there. I just hate having to go through all that work for about two inches (That's what she said!).

Anyway, looking forward to more buffing, sanding, bondoing (with gloves) and priming today. Maybe I'll even manage to get a door to actually open and close who knows? And just in case anyone has any ideas, the spring I actually need is the return spring on the latch assembly that looks like @ (I don't know what this particular type of spring is called...I would be happy with that tidbit of information as well). I can make do with a nomal return spring if I can find the right one but would be happier if I can find something like what is actually supposed to go there. Once agian thanks guys and enjoy your Sunday, I plan to.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  19. shadams

shadams

Awesome man, good luck with that. And thank you for your service!

20. captmullette

captmullette

your doing great man, a hot rod builder buddy of mine told me , just start and finish 1 thing at a time, and at least 1 thing a day....

21. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Make sure your daughter is involved in the resurrection of the truck. Giving her pride of acomplishment, as well as a man sized helping of sweat equity should help to make her a safer driver and better care-taker of the truck.

Upgrade the brakes including a dual pot master cylinder. Replace every inch of brake line front to back.

As far as the engine goes, a young driver has no need of 500 fire-breathing horsepwer... Just change the fluids, clean it up, and roll it down the highway! As stated, those 318's will run forever in low horsepower form.

Good looking project. Hope you have fun with it!

22. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I like it. I also think it has enough power for a young driver the way it is. I also have a teenage daughter and that truck is cooler than the one Bella drives in Twilight. Yes I have had to watch those movies also. Great story on your build.

23. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Very cool project. My daughter read the Twilight series, but came out wanting a VW rabbit instead of the truck :) (Even though the book lists a 86 rabbit which is fictional). I know what you mean about reading it, I read the entire Harry Potter series in order to have something to relate to with her.

24. jmh

jmh

Keep posting!! john

25. thanks dad....your great......good luck with the build....

26. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Ahhh...Monday morning and somebody forgot to tell my alarm clock that I am on vacation.

On the plus side after a day of handling an 11000 RPM grinder buffing out the inside of the cab, my hands have finally stopped reverberating enough that I can use a computer keyboard. Another bonus was I think the constant vibrations broke loose the rest of the bondo stuck to my hands from Saturdays adventure.

All in all Sunday wasn't a whole lot different than Saturday. I spent the better part of the morning searching for the door latch spring (I still don't know the technical term) to no avail. Of course it was Sunday so the pickens were pretty slim but after hitting up a couple of parts stores I then spent about two hours wondering around some retail stores looking for any product that might have a spring in it that would work...no joy.

So back home at about 10:00 I'm thinking it's time to get to work. Problem is, I have a stupid song stuck in my head and decide I need some tunes. And the search begins for my little portable radio that I usually take on deployments with me. It's not with my deployment stuff, it's not in the work shed, it's not in the closet and of course NOBODY has seen it ANYWHERE (I get the deer in the headlights look when I ask like they have no idea what I'm talking about even though I have had this thing for damn near five years now). Anyway, about two hours, a set of computer speakers and my daughters MP3 player (her contribution to the project yesterday) later and I finally got tunes and am ready to get to work.

I spend the rest of the day in the hollowed out steel cab operating an 11000 RPM grinder. I couldn't tell you three songs that came on all day.

After all was said and done I once again don't feel like I got allot accomplished because you can't really see much difference. But the cab is buffed and bondoed and just about ready for primer so hopefully I will get that done today and actually have something to take some pictures of. Cause about the only thing worthy of pictures yesterday was the unbelievably incredible amount of times an 11000 RPM grinder with a 4" wire buffing cup could wrap a hoody sweatshirt around itself...with the operator still in it. I love power tools.

A quick question for you gurus out there. I really think I want to add power brakes. Currently the master cylinder is under the floorboard, but I have plenty of empty firewall and was thinking a booster/master cylinder assembly mounted there like most other vehicles on the road. I am by no means whatsoever a purist, but I am trying to use Mopar when I can and wonder if anyone has done this and what setup out of an old (or newer, I don't care) Mopar might be a good application for this. Or if you know of a better setup or idea, shoot it my way. I am always open to suggestions.

Thanks ya'll and stay solid.

27. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

On some of my stuff I have used boosters and what ever pedal set up that came with it. On my 50 it's 85 monti carlo, Cheap and easy to install.

28. goon56

goon56
    from new jersey

068.jpg

em1[1].jpg

100_1304.jpg

100_1317.jpg
    just got done doin this one. full resto. even re did the seal sealer along the roof and dash. put a chevy duel line master under the floor. stops great with out a booster and the original drums.if you got any odd questions, let me know

29. 73RR

73RR

The 318 is deadly reliable so you're in good shape there. The obivious question is whether or not 'someone' also swapped the rear axle so you have an e-brake....There are plenty of donor rigs for axles, just measure up the stocker and head to the pik-n-pull.
    Check in with the DanBabb truck thread for some brake info and as you found, Charlie (rustyhope) is the man for disc conversions.

PM sent regarding your wall art...

30. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

Damn,that looks like a great start,that's what I would have wanted if I didn't stumble upon my '51 coupe,that truck reminds me of one my dad used to have.

On another note,it looks like it might have a early 70's bed on it,I though the early-mid 50's trucks still had the flat rear fenders.