Register now to get rid of these ads!

My "lil red" 1965 Ford Econoline PU arrived yesterday:)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coupe-De-CAB, Dec 18, 2005.

1. TINGLER

TINGLER

I believe you would either be talking about Radirs or Cragar SS's.

Cragars are cheaper, but Radirs have a more edgier look if you're going for the 60's look.

Personally, I love the Cragars. I think they are just the perfect 60's muscle look. You can get them through Jeg's or Summit easily enough....and both places now offer tire mounting and balancing which is kinda cool. You get your wheels and tires shipped at the same time....pull them off of the UPS truck, put some air in and bolt them up.

Cool lookin truck Cab.

haha...now are you gonna change your name to "CAB FORWARD CAB"? :)

Here are some links to get the Cragars:

http://www.summitracing.com/

www.Jegs.com

2. hemifarris

hemifarris

Nice truck. It'l look great draggin' the ground.

3. Cragars woulld be swell! Radirs would be...ummmm...sweller(?)!! :D

4. Coupe de Cab, that looks like a real sweet truck. Congrats. I love those things too. I had a 65 panel van in school. 3 on the tree with a 289 in it. Nothing like sitting out over the front axle with that streeing wheel in your lap swinging the shifter from 1 to 2. 2 to 3 was pretty cool too! I loved that thing.

just keep the brakes adjusted, it was a weird feeling when one of the fronts would grab be for the other one - I swear it felt like it was going to flip on ya.

Good luck with it. I look forward to seeing it in a year or so.

5. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

Radirs with REDLINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Bag it...schmag it...DO THIS!!:eek: :D Talk about a Hairy Hauler!.. nice score Steve...:cool:

Attached Files:

7. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Sweet truck. The yellow one sure seems to be bagged. What is so hard about these to bag? I've never had one but there is a sweet extended panel van near me that I can get cheap and might in the spring...

8. Whats really cool about these is that just about any Ford SB is a bolt in with factory parts. Up to 351, I think. I remember one of the rod books from the seventies listed all the different combos available.

9. Hey! Don't do that, that one's mine. :D

[​IMG]

Somehow doesn't look quite as nice as yours Steve. Nice score.

They'd look good lined up together at the HAMB Drags. :p :D

10. Stoner

Stoner

GAWD, CAB! I LOVE that thing!

Hey, bolt a 392 into the bed, turn the steering around so you're facing the other direction and don't forget to add a set of wheelie bars to the front bumper!

Hope all is well...actually, I can see that it is, so looking forward to seeing you soon!

STONER

11. parkwood60

parkwood60

I would definitely try to find a dropped axle. I worked on one this summer that had one on it, I would guess about 4", and the nose was really low. It sounded like the end of the world when the axel hit the missing bumpstops, but that cause it was a panel van, and the whole thing was like an echo chamber. It was running 185/60-14 on the front, on torque thrusts, and something too big on the back and disk front brakes. Talk about feeling like it was gonna flip!

There is a guy in Pasadena who sells a disc brake kit and a improved crossmember that actually goes all the way across, to hold the motor in place. Its sized to hold a V-8 if you want to go that way. There is one other guys selling a disk brake kit, but I forget who he is. Most importantly, there is a Yahoo group that will answer all your questions: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldeconolines/

oh, and (shameless plug) I made myself some T-shirts via Cafepress with a 61 van on them:
    http://www.cafepress.com/woody5k

This isn't me in the picture

Attached Files:

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cab, how about a pic of your bsa in the back...(or i think you have a bsa)

13. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Tingler!

what are these rims?

[​IMG]

I haven't checked those websites you posted yet ... but i'm going to now:)
    thanks again,
    CAB over CAB

14. raven

raven

Those are Magnum 500's.
    The ugliest factory wheel made...
    r

15. Muttley

Muttley

That wouldnt suck.:cool: :cool:

16. Like Raven61 said, those are Magnum 500's. I think they look o.k. If you want that kinda look, you might wanna look into Keystone Classics! Very "late 60's-70's"! They look like a much swankier version of the Magnums.

Attached Files:

17. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

A couple that I like.

Attached Files:

18. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

The red and white Dodge looks cool!
    Funny thing is my friend and ex-Powell skateboards teammate, Jon Comer, rides for that Gringo skateboard company out of Texas:)
    thanks for the pics.
    CAB

19. Hellfish

Hellfish

Nice! I love Econos.

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert an econoline from a column shift to a floor shift? I'm looking at one now, but the shifter hits my knee.

20. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

I didn't even notice it was a Dodge. I just saved it one time when I was looking at some pictures cause I thought it was cool. I beleive that Gold truck may also be a Dodge looking at the side body lines.

Corvair had a truck that has the same look also.

Anyone know what they called the Dodges that look like the econolines?

When I did a yahoo search all I was getting was trucks.

21. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Fellas...what size tire do you recomend for a good look, do you know the bolt circle pattern and is a rear spacing needed?

Barnett...The Cragar Key stone Klassics look pretty good at the nice price of $145- $166 per wheel, but the Radirs ( O.G. batmobile style) at $245 each is not looking so good:(

Tudor... Nice find on the 32 5 window coupe, good luck with that project:) thanks for the compliments and i'll get the all brakes checkout for sure!

Rob... who sells redlines, which brand?

Larry... Thanks, but the Hamb "Bomb" Hauler is BIG A's project:)

Unclescooby... there's just alot of cutting up front to get a nice air bag system to be installed and it seems to be easier in the rear end, lots to think about, adjust and move around up front. so maybe a "4 dropped axle my be fine. But i have to agree seeing this thing slammed to the ground would look mighty nice:)

Hotrod1940... thanks for the info on the V8 and that's good to know for the future, but she's going to keep the stock 6 cylinder 170 cu for now.

BIG A ...don't worry i won't pouch the Hamb bomb idea:) thanks for the comment and yes, it would be cool to have these guys at the drags next year, pretty far drive for me though:( good luck with the Project... any new updates on it lately?

Dan ...where have you been? good to hear from ya, you going to be at the cow palace next month? wait till you see the coupe in person, your going to be pretty stoked! thanks for the nice message and I hope the magazine is doing well:)

67Imp.Wagon... yea the gold one look like it might have been sectioned as well, can't really tell from the pic, but it looks like it.
    there's a baby blue and white '63 corvair econo truck near my home at a car lot going for 8 grand, it looks really clean too. There's a small tail gate where the engine is in the back. also it opens from the side of the truck to load things, pretty cool, but i like my FORD!

parkwood60... i just signed up for that yahoo oldeconoline group yesterday, so hopefully i can get some good info from them!

furbiscuit... The '63 BSA motocycle "in the back of the truck" photo will be coming soon:)

thanks again fellas for the comments, critique and suggestions... they are always welcomed!
    CAB

22. Yeah, those would definetly be cool! A little more scratch, but worth it. Try Dennis Carpenter for the mirrors. My guess is that they are the same as used on Ranger F100 trucks of the same era.

23. McQueen

McQueen

BEAUTIFUL find there, Cab. I've loved those pickups (and vans) forever. Can't wait to see it in person.

cheers

[​IMG]

24. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

McQueen... Thanks, can't wait for you to see it! by the way, have you or your family had any work done to your motors at the Mustang Ranch off the El Camino in Santa Clara? heard they specialize in these motors?
    I'm thinking about heading out there today after i get back from the DMV ( can't wait to stand in that line) to register this Econoline:)

Comet... i'll try Dennis for the side mirrors, thanks!
    CAB

25. TriFiveChevyJohn

TriFiveChevyJohn
    from TEXAS!

" "

:D

26. McQueen

McQueen

EDIT: Just talked to Pops. He's been out of the "Mustang world" for quite a few years and doesn't have any info on the Ranch. Sorry man. If it was TBird stuff, we'd have you covered...hint, hint. :D

If you don't have a parts source yet, try http://www.concoursparts.com
    Really good people. They've always had just what I needed at the right price. Lots of helpful info, too. I checked the site, and they have a catalog for 60s Econoline stuff.

Cab,
    Let me check with my Pops. He runs all the TBird mailing lists, CTCI, national stuff. He knew the owners for years, but the business may have changed hands. I'll shoot my dad an email right now. Worst case, he'll be in SJ on Friday and I'll find out then.

Stay tuned...I'll see what I can find out.

I've been scouring the web for a pickup like yours. Man, that's a sweet find. If I could kick this "thunderbird habit," I'd be right there with ya! :D

cheers!

[​IMG]

p.s. Try the DMV in Los Gatos. I've always had good luck there!

27. TINGLER

TINGLER

Yeah man!
    This Dodge truck looks cool....See Cragar SS's RULE! Go with the Cragar SS's, Cab. I know I would (I did for my Fairlane)

Keystone classics are cool too, although many people will disagree.

Radirs are expensive (which is why I think folks like them). Cragar is now offering a Radir knock off, but I don't know off hand how expensive it is.

-------------------------------------

Edit: I just now read this question.

Your bolt pattern will probably be small ford 5 on 4 1/2". 5 being the number of lug nuts and 4 1/2" being the spacing of the studs.

Rear spacing? again, I'm not exactly sure since I've never owned an econoline, but I can tell you that unless you are getting some oversized rims and some fat slicks for the rear, paying attention to the back spacing probably won't really come into play.

Especially if you are buying Cragar SS's. I've never had a problem mounting them on anything I've owned. Then again, I've only ever bought 15" x 6" rims.
    ...which by the way will probably be what you will get unless you want to go with a "bitchen redneck rake".....(big assed tires in the rear and small ones in the front)

If you are looking for an overall "low" look to that truck, I would just go with 15" X 6" rims.....

Imagine this: 15" Cragar SS's with a skinny whitewall tire....hmmmmm....

Oh yeah, also, most muscle car rims are unilug. Meaning they will fit multiple bolt patterns.

Maybe too much info, but hopefully some of it helped.

Attached Files:

28. muffman58

muffman58

They where A-100s

29. Steve, no updates on the HAMB Bomb Hauler project... yet. I'm flying down to Texas in early Feb to see what's what.

Mac's Auto Parts has Econoline parts, I just got their FREE catalogue. I've dealt with them for parts for my shoebox and they are good people.

30. FONZI

FONZI

With regard to bagging it......

My frind has one that is bagged all the way around. With the straight front axle they don't ride well bagged. I would:

A: Only bag the rear.

or

b: Put independent front suspension under it and then bag it front and rear.

I dig em! I will try and find a pic of my pal's. I have posted ithere b4.

FONZI