Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My fleetline no turning back...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by malibustevens, Jan 31, 2012.

1. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Johnwd98, The duct sealant needs to be purchased from a heating and ac wholesaler, they usually only sell to contractors with accounts. I would call the local HVAC wholesaler and ask, if they wont, you may want to do a internet search. Make sure to buy the low voc non toxic stuff. And a stiff, cheap throw away brush. The stuff is thick, think watered down drywall mud...

As for my hood seam i dont think i have it, im pretty sure it was bent to shit, i will take a look when im out in the garage next.

2. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Just realized i haven't posted any pictures of the engine compartment.
    Here is some for anyone who cares!
    What do you think?

Attached Files:

3. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Added some stuff called U-seal to the firewall on the interior, to help quiet down engine noise. Some car stereo guys use this in place of dynomat, i will also be using this on the roof and doors.

Next i mounted the heater.

Attached Files:

4. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I want a radio but dont want to go crazy, so i came up with a easy clean solution. First i removed the stock radio, then the speaker amp assembly. Next i broke down the radio and took the guts out, the case is three pieces. I took the front section of the case and installed a flat piece of metal. Bent the bracket behind the dash and marked and drilled a hole for a bolt, mounted the front case in place. Next i put foam padding over the metal plate, added velcro to the back of a mp3 player and stuck it in place, the padding is out enough at the bottom to allow the wires plug in to the bottom and route through the original knob holes from the stock radio.

For the speaker i just removed the front mounting bracket from the speaker and amp. Then mounted a 6x9 to the bracket and it will bolt right back in place behind the dash.

I will install a amp under the seat with a rca to 1/4 plug routed behind the dash out the knob hole and into the mp3. Volume will be controlled by the player.

I think it worked out nice and if need i can just pull it out. Hopefully things like the heater and radio will keep the girlfriend and kids more comfortable on long trips.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

5. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Anyone have a line on lower arms for 49-54 chevy?
    Mine are toast.

6. Phone looks awesome in the dash!

Dustin

7. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Removed the vacuum wiper motor and disassembled. It was full of gunk, causing the wipers to stop halfway. Cleaned all the internals and oiled the leather seal. Lastly, i applied Vaseline to the flapper. Reinstalled and now they wipe!

Attached Files:

8. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Finished welding the hood seam and smoothing the nose. Will need some filler, i think its not bad for an amateur.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

9. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Been working on non glamorous stuff like wiring turn signals, park lights. Getting the floor ready for carpet...ect. will update with pictures when i do something worth taking pics of...

10. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Installed reflectix insulation (picked up from home improvement store) to floors using spray adhesive and tape. This should cut back on heat and some noise from underneath.

Then i installed new carpet. Hopefully this will make the ride a bit more comfortable.

Attached Files:

11. iarodder

iarodder

Lookin good, I'll be at torque fest on Saturday for sure. Probably not Friday as I cant get the wife talked into it? I like your progress on the car, I'm building a second fleetline right now, then when its done its getting traded to the father in law for his 39 Pontiac for my wife. Then I get to tear my fleetline down and start on it, Im going modern drive train and MII front end , but I want extreme driveability! Love the road time in the classics!

12. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Thanks man! Ill look for yours, i wish mine was not so bad when i started...please ignore my ugly welds as the wave at you if you see it, i was hoping to have the body more straight for this show, but ran into suspension issues, so working on getting a different front suspension installed now..

13. chstitans42

chstitans42

you are making awesome progress. Keep it up man!

14. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Thank you! In the process of pulling my front end back out...err, but needs to be done.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. kylemontoya

kylemontoya

Great build. Subscribed

Instagram @kylemontoya

16. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

So i put the new(used) front suspension in, decided to cut the coils while i had it apart, cut to much due to laziness, oops..ordered coils from coilspring specialties, they were great to work with, gave them the stock part number, told them i wanted 2 inch drop and the car was about 55 pounds lighter (v8) they made the springs and arrived at my door in three days! Fit great and the car drives and rides nice now, safe too!

I had to remove the blocks from the rear, the car road like ass and was smashing my exhaust, the axle was hitting the frame and rear end hitting the trunk, so for now looks like a hotrod until i get the time and coin for a notch. Again it rides nice and safe...just not as "cool" looking.

I picked up a front clip, dirt cheep, from voodoo larry, so that will save me time in body work! The clip is off a 49 that was on a 4x4 chassis (yuck) called the voodoo monster...my girl said i should run it around with the flamed purple front...nope not gonna happen.

Attached Files:

17. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I loved reading this thread. I've got a 50 Styleline I'm working on, and it looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of the same repairs you made to yours. Thanks for all of the pictures and descriptions you posted, you've done a great job so far. Did you have to do a whole lot of mods to get that 283 in there? I'm planning on putting a 283 with a 4 speed in mine. Thanks again for such a great thread.

18. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Thanks, everything seems to be a bit more work than it seems when working on a 60 year old car, but the swap was not to bad, easier with the clip off. Lots of good info on the hamb, just search 49-54 V8 swap.

You will need to buy or make motor mounts, think i got mine from waltons fab. Cut the ribs off the firewall, cut room for the headers or use manifolds. I used shorty headers for a late 80s camaro to clear the stock steering box. I used a radiator from champion. The trans cross member will need to be modified or you can buy one, again waltons or chassis engineering, i made mine. Do a search for rear end swaps, about a million threads on that, i used a nova posi rear end with the stock springs.

Hope that helps.

19. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Lucky, i see your close, im in McHenry county Illinois...hope you survived this shitty winter!!

20. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Thanks for the tips. I think I've still got some time before I'm needing a motor, but it's never too early to start planning.

Yeah you are close. I'm I just over the boarder in Kenosha. This winter was brutal, but it's over now and that's all that matters.

21. I got a 50 model Poncho and I too am going to have to do many of the same repairs you have done. If possible could you post some pictures of you engine mounts? Great thread and thanks for taking the time to explain what all you have done and how you do it. Not everyone may apply but information like this is what we are looking for.

22. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Sorry i dont have any up close shots of the mounts, maybe you can zoom in to get an idea, or go to waltons fabrications site im sure they have pics.

Attached Files:

23. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Garagekulture, this ones a bit better.

Attached Files:

24. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I like what you're doing, keep us posted with lots of pics.

25. Thanks! That seems simple enough. How did you figure on the best placement?

26. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

What's nice about the waltons mounts is that they use two of the front cross member holes for location, you just bolt them in, test fit, tac weld, test fit, and then weld them home. Worked out perfect!

27. I emailed Waltons and they responded very quickly. Sad news is none of their parts will work for my 1950 Pontiac. Thanks for the pictures.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Really^^^ that sucks thought they had the same front suspension...sorry man. Im sure you could mock it up and weld them in. Do a search im sure someone s done it.

29. I just now had time to sit and enjoy this build thread. Some serious memories came back but you completed yours much faster than mine. It was inspiring! I had a really hard time covering up all the metal work i had done in the floor just because it was so much. I was wondering if you noticed a big difference before and after the u-seal as well as before and after the "reflectix". i dont have kids and my girlfriend can sleep through anything so luckily i have been able to drive it across country as a rattle/heat trap. it is getting pretty old. Great job and speedy at that. thanks for the pictures. Makes me want to get off my ass and finish what is left. I also love how you recessed that player in the dash. Im trying to figure out some tunes as well. You have alot of talent and creativity. cheers

30. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Thanks for the kind words. We just made a 3 hour trip to torque fest, my girl says it's much quieter. I cant really tell a difference. Should be better when i do the roof and doors.