Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first attempt at 'tech'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Morrisman, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Well, I've read a whole bunch of sheetmetal posts that always seem to involve English wheels, or folding machines, or shrinkers and such, and I've always felt a bit left out because all the gear I have is wrenches, hammers and a bench vice. Oh, and a single round dolly that | bought for about a pound at a swap meet. So, I thought I'd have a go at repairing a lower door using the sort of stuff most all us guys have around the shop.

Basically, the lower 4" of the door was rotted out completely, so I made a cardboard template of the shape the door needed to be, and transferred that to some 18 gauge steel. I used two pieces of steel as there is a compound curve in the door and a single piece wouldn't curve enough. Two pieces made it better. Also left about 5/8" extra around the outer edges that needed a rolled edge on.

I rolled the edges using my hi-tech tool: an adjustable wrench:
    [​IMG]

After I'd bent them as far as I could I hammered them almost flat with an ordinary hammer. Then I tacked them where they needed to go, trying the door in place on the car as I went along to get the curve somewhere near.
    [​IMG]

After that I cut a filler strip for the bottom, that matched the curve of the door. Took a bit of fiddling around, using a bit of cardboard as a template before cutting steel.
    [​IMG]

Another piece of sheet steel was cut to make the inner door, and the edges bent as required using the usual hi-tech edging tool.
    [​IMG]

Finally, it started looking like a door again, and just needs finish welding and a little pounding to get it just right.
    [​IMG]

Got to admit, it looks far neater in the pics than it did in real life.
    Now, a little filler and some paint:
    [​IMG]

2. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

3. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Hell yeah Man use whatever you got layin around. Thats whats its all about.
    I did things that way for years till I realized that i was going to do this shit for a while and shouldnt suffer. Now whenever I have a lil cash I'll buy a tool that I really need, It makes things a bit easier with nice tools but doesnt mean it cant be done without.

4. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Amen to that! At least he has a nice MIG welder. I'm still using a torch for my junk. :D

pigpen

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

It turned out great.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

looks good!

7. Kinky6

Kinky6

Nice looking work, and practical tool useage, also!

Just curious, where the two patch sections went on the lower door skin, are they lapped or butted?

BTW, I dig that little recess in the lower cowl for the pitman arm - cool! :cool:

8. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Bwaaahaahaa, try $6 a gallon for UK pump piss.

Kinky 6, I just overlapped them a half inch. It was a quick and easy fix, and I'm running low on enthusiasm after three years, just want to get it on the road.

9. Nice work. And cool car. What is it?

10. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

[QUOTE='29MurrayTub]Nice work. And cool car. What is it?[/QUOTE]
    It's a '34 Morris Eight.

11. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Very nice work. You're next investment should be for a simple panel flanger - they make them hand-held like a pair of vice grips. I'll make the job eaiser & stronger (you can weld on both sides most of the time).
    Cool car too. :)
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

12. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Nice work...skill and ingenuity will always win out over high tech tools if they're not used properly.

That Morris sure would make a killer sedan delivery...ever thought about filling in those back windows? Time for a photoshop!

13. alittle1

alittle1

Very nice first attempt. What'ca got under the hood? Do you have a picture with it open (the hood, that is ). An SD would be nice too.

14. DrJ

DrJ

That looks great!
    And that's the extent of most of our tools too.... :cool:

Now, if you haven't already, drop a marble, ball bearing or a gum ball, something small and round into the door with it closed and see where it rolls too. Where it stops drill about an 8mm hole to let the liquid sunshine and rust maker out.

15. Looks good, real good.

I'm amazed that you managed to do that without a Yo-Yo though. ;)

16. av8jon

av8jon

Hey, great work and grreat tech article. Tech articles like that can really inspire folks as they can see what can be done without all the pro tools. Why spend 20 or 30 bucks for a flanger to use one time when you can use an adjustable wrench!! Brilliant!! Thanks for taking the time to share!!:)

17. Hell Yeah!

Greta low-buck tech article!

Thanks.

That car is cooler than shite too ;)

18. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Nice tech, good job.

19. Very cool tech and a very cool car. How big is it? Just curious.

Good job.

20. KoppaK

KoppaK

Nice work is that my wrench I lost last week?

21. Jaypee

Jaypee
    from Finland

Nice job, Morrisman.

Jaypee

22. man,

what an inspiring post!

danny

23. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Here ya go, crappy picture but it's the only one I have with the car looking anywhere near together. The motor is a 215 Buick/Rover

[​IMG]

24. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

Great post and nice car by the way! This is thge kind of stuff that inspires me. I will patch the bottom of my doors tomorrow!:)