Register now to get rid of these ads!

My fellow Texans, and everybody else

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terry, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Terry

Terry

I was just listening to the local news, and they did a piece on the new traffic laws that recently went into effect. The one that caught me off guard is racing.

They said that is now a Class B, (what ever that is). If you get caught drag racing, spinning tires, or any show of speed it is no-longer a ticket offense. It is a trip straight to jail!

Seems a little strick to me??? You think the Fast and Furious crowd brought this on?

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its just another step in losing ALL our rights and freedoms. Another way they can take your possessions(the car) A cop can just SAY you were racing even if you are not. Whatcha gonna do? Its Another totalitarian step away from the United States Constitution. Its YOUR fault and MY fault cuz we are letting them get away with it.

3. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

The key to freedom is being able to pay a good lawyer.

Just ask me how I know.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Law is defined as applying evenly to everyone. We dont have law anymore. We only have as much law as you can afford to pay for. Look at O J Simpson

5. D Picasso

D Picasso

[ QUOTE ]
    The key to freedom is being able to pay a good lawyer.

Just ask me how I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

truer words were never spoken.

ask me how I know.

6. Terry

Terry

I went and read the new law for myself. Here is what it says:
    HB 1326 - Automatically suspends for one year the drivers license of anyone convicted of illegally racing on a public roadway. Before the license can be reinstated, the driver would have to complete 10 hours of community service. The punishment for illegal racing increases to a Class B misdemeanor. (jail time)

Add to this that last year here in Odessa it is:
    100.00 fine if seen throwing a cigerette butt out the window of your car
    A 500.00 fine if you leave the keys in your car. ( a friend got this one when he pulled up to his house and left his disel truck running, even though he locked the doors with his keypad remote)
    And a ? fine if the police can hear your radio within 100ft.

I am ready to move! But where would one go that it won't be the same in one way or another.

7. 53_210

53_210

It's true what everyone's saying about law and whatnot, but I'm not going to get into how I feel about that.

I do think it is a little bit strict, but the police and whoever have to TRY to send a message to the people that are driving like idiots and killing themselves. Whether it will be enforced or not is a different story. I don't know about there, but I find from experiences I've had, that cops tend to look the other way when it's the old guys in their old cars layin some rubber and driving a little faster than what some poeple might like. Whereas if it's Johnny just got my license who borrows his dad's brand new BMW and is driving around showing off "his" car while driving like he's had his license for an hour, they're probably going to pay more attention to that.

I think somewhere along the way I managed to lose my point, but to answer your question, yes I think it is mostly the "fast and the furious" crowd, but you can't single 1 person out so you gotta punish them all, right?

They'll fine you for leaving your keys in your car? That seems somewhat strange to me.

8. candyman

candyman

They have recently made laws in tacoma here for leaving your keys in the car while it's running. The reason is that we had a bunch of people get their cars stolen while warming them up in the cold mornings. Factor in the fact we have the highest stolen car rate in the country and you can see why such a chicken shit law would be made. I found it to be absurd. Punishing innocent people because of the acts of criminals. this really is just a smoke screan though in my opinion. It is just another way to make revenue... it gives perception that they are doing something when in fact they are doing nothing... and it covers up the fact that they still can't do their jobs and drop crime. Sad thing though... a guy catches a teenaged thug stealing his car last year...chases him down in his other car... kid tries to run him off the road... dude shoots at kid... kills him.... then goes to jail for shooting his gun in the city and recklessness and a few other things. Sad.... just sad.

9. deadelvis

deadelvis

53 210 you hit it right on the head. I'm a cop. We (most) of us let the older crowd slide on this type of stuff. Hell I'm not above stoppin you just to get a better look at your ride! However, most of the older crowd wouldn't drag race through the elementary school zone at 3:45 in the afternoon. Those neon shits do it all the time. They also line their cars down the "race lanes" and sit on the hoods. That way they can take out a few friends when the turd drivin dad's money looses control at 85 m.p.h. That's why those laws are passed. It's been goin on everywhere.

As for the keys in the car thing, that's just bullshit. States (feds too) just keep tryin to legislate common sense. I'm sorry if you ain't got enough damn sense not to leave your car runnin while you go into the Quick-E-Mart and your car gets stolen. Serves your ass right. I don't think I oughta have to take a report on it. On the other side, if I catch the bastard I think I should get to bring him back to you and let you beat his thieving ass! If they'd let me do that you wouldn't need the "key" law. A good ass kickin policy would solve a lot of problems I think.

If the feds or I.A are reading this: The opinions expressed in this post are for entertainment purposes only and in no way indicate the attitude or behavior displayed at work by the author.

10. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

and if convicted,automatic one year drivers licsense suspention and no work only permit.

11. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

I'm all for less safe, and more freedom.

In the imortal words of Edward Abbey...

" Because freedom, not safety, is the highest good. Because the public roads should be wide open to all- children on tricylcles, little old ladies in Eisenhower Plymouths, homicidal lesbians driving forty-ton Mack tractor-trailers. Let ushave no favorites, no licenses, no god-damn rules for the road. Let every freeway be a free-for-all."

Ed was known for his hyperbol, but I think the Freedom above Safety is an accurate point.

12. Kinky6

Kinky6

Guys, this here is my take on the laws against leavin' your keys in a vehicles ignition, running or not...

Its not about trying to legislate some smarts for dumb car owners, and its not about taking the load off of supposedly lazy cops. Heck, its not even about eleminating an "attractive nuisance" that might turn a teen-ager (drug-addled or otherwise) into a criminal.

Its all about insurance companies not wanting to have to bail out victims of car thefts that result from leavin' keys in the ignition. That would have a negative effect on their annual profits. They make up a very powerful lobby here in the land of the free (enterprise).

Later, Kinky6.

13. BELLM

BELLM

Also new Texas law can't have license frame or light attached to lic plate that covers part of the plate. Dealers have tons of lic plate frames can no longer use. I can see all sorts of problems arising when two modified cars leave traffic light at same time. And yes it is the ricers idiot approach to street racig that prompted this. You can also be jailed & fined for being a spectator.

14. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

The old saying "follow the money" sorta applies here.

What are there motives for passing laws like this? To save teenage lives? If that was the true motive, then they'd enact laws preventing fast food lunches, completely outlaw smoking, and make companies that produce industrial pollutants clean up their act. Any of these would save more teenage lives.

So, that shoots that down as a motive.

So, what's the HIDDEN motive, the one they aren't flying on the flag?

Control? Do you really think that the State government wants to make everyone criminals? (Maybe!) Probally not. Do you think they want to look good in front of their voters? Definately! And will the street racers stand up against this? Definately NOT!

So, as far as the Senate and Badge groups are concerned, it's an all win, no whine situation for them. No one will oppose it, Most will think it's warrented.

As an aside, the police are not there to CHANGE behavior, or to prevent you from doing something, but are in place to arrest and punish after you do the deed. Street racing (among other things) shouldn't be illegal, but hurting or killing others with your car or damaging public or private property IS illegal.

Reckless behavoir enforcement is CS.

15. BLAKE

BLAKE

... and don't forget the new Texas law that says you gotta give a wide berth to the cop on the side of the road issuing a ticket - drive by without swinging wide and you'll get nabbed. May seem like a minor deal, but it's a sore spot with me - too many times I've come up on a cop issuing a ticket without 'really' pulling off the road and I've been forced to slam on my brakes or swerve into oncoming just to miss them... and it always makes me think about which is more dangerous - some guy going 7 mph over the limit, or the cop who decides to block a lane of traffic to issue him a ticket (rhetorical)? If cops are worried about their safety during traffic stops (which is fair), they should wait until there's a safe place to pull over before dealing with the offending driver.

End rant.

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

And as has been true for many years, these new laws aren't needed. Existing laws already had all this covered. Its similar to the gun law situation. There are more than 20,000 laws about guns. TWENTY THOUSAND!! Dont you think two or three laws could cover all problems with guns? When I was a kid in the 50s my mom told me "ignorance of the law is no excuse'. That may have been true then. Now there are so many laws, NO ONE even knows what they are! 62buford is saying I could have gotten a ticket last Sunday when I passed a cop on Interstate 20 in Texas. He was writing a ticket and I moved over in my lane but traffic in the left lane prevented me from going there. I had no idea about that law. Apparently no one else did either, cuz no one changed lanes as we passed the cop. Sometimes I think the new laws are made to generate income from unsuspecting citizens. Its real hard for me to believe that EVERYONE in the USA is expected to know not to pass that cop unless you change lanes.***************The American government is our worst enemy.**********

17. BLAKE

BLAKE

.. from the website (new laws as of Sept 1, 2003):

"SB 193 requires drivers nearing a stopped emergency vehicle that has lights activated, unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer, to:
    - Vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle, if the highway has two or more lanes traveling the direction of the emergency vehicle; or
    - Slow to a speed not more than 20 miles per hour (mph) less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 mph or more; or
    - Slow to a speed not more than five mph when the posted speed limit is less than 25 mph.

A violation is a punishable by a maximum fine of $200. If the violation results in property damage, the maximum fine increases to $500. If the violation results in bodily injury, the offense is enhanced to a Class B misdemeanor."

Let's be careful out there! [​IMG]

18. Anderson

Anderson

One more, you can't (in Texas) have ANY form of license plate cover that covers any words on the plate. If it cuts off only 1/4" of the top of "TEXAS" you will be fined. Thats the most retarted thing I've heard so far. When are they going to do something about soccer moms and rich ass holes in their SUV's driving all over the road using their cell phones? I almost got killed twice this weekend by idiots doing that...

19. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

[ QUOTE ]
    ...most of the older crowd wouldn't drag race through the elementary school zone at 3:45 in the afternoon. Those neon shits do it all the time. They also line their cars down the "race lanes" and sit on the hoods. That way they can take out a few friends when the turd drivin dad's money looses control at 85 m.p.h. That's why those laws are passed. It's been goin on everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going 90mph next to a school with kids walking around is clearly stupid, and anyone doing this should expect a stiff penalty if they get caught. They should also feel lucky if they don't end up killing someone.

But the problem with laws like this is the broad strokes with which they're painted. A guy--yes, even Brandon in his sticker-encrusted Honda Civic--spinning his tires in front of his house after some upgrades shouldn't be penalized the same as the guys putting others in serious danger. The punishment should fit the crime, and new laws shouldn't be passed just to pander to the self-righteous people who can't understand why we wouldn't all be happy driving 70 horsepower economy cars.

20. scotth

scotth
    from Austin, TX

The cell-phone bill was on the table this time around, but it was one of the things that died waiting for the Dems and Reps to finish out their redistricting pissing match.

Maybe next time...

21. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Sadly Tacoma needs the no keys in your car law. I used to live in Bremmerton & got ripped off every time I went to Tacoma. I used to go to races at SIR every year. I've never been to Tacoma without something being stolen. I have 3 friends who've had cars stolen from Hotels in Tacoma. Last time I was at SIR, they stole my hitch. Took the time to saw thru the locked pin and they were in sight of the gate the whole time. The year before that, they stole my spare tire from under the bed of the truck. Assholes would steal the turds outa your toilet if you don't flush fast enough!

22. DrJ

DrJ

Thanks for the warning about Tacoma.

On "stealing" peoples cars for racing.

Do they do the same thing for regular speeding tickets?

I agree with modernbeat, they don't need a no-racing law.

They just need to enforce the speeding law if the racers exceed the speed limit on the street they are racing on.

Is accelerating across an intersection slightly faster than the blue hair in the V6 Buick Regal next to you going to be considered "racing"

Is "chirping" your tires on a wet cross walk going to get your car seized?

I'm pretty sure, If I got my car "stolen" by the government just because the street was slippery when I took off from a light and the tires chirped, I'd become a terrorist for what was left of my time on Earth.
    That would be the last straw.....

Any of you remember a 1971 movie written by Jules Feiffer called "Little Murders"
    'It was about some "average good citizens" who would get their car vandalized at night, and their appartment burglarized in the day, and then the "little murder" escalated to a sniper shooting in the window, and the "law" didn't help and finally these otherwise "normal" people going off "funny".
    http://www.albany.edu/writers-inst/lilmurdr.html
    It was a prophesy, all about what's going on today...but it was 30 years ago.

23. I saw a newer Camaro SS with the rear bumper skin off, the license plate drywall screwed to the plastic inner core, and a big sheet of black plastic duct taped where the rear window should be. and a cracked tailight.

I'm no cop, but doesn't something like this reek of "no insurance"?

My G.F. was rear-ended a year ago by somebody arguing with his G.F... on the cell phone...

I'm pretty sure street racing is illegal everywhere, but so is murder, but FL still has one of the highest murder rates in the country.

The new law will only raise the number deaths due to high speed chases.

24. deadelvis

deadelvis

62buford,

Man it ain't that easy! You should see some of the places people pull over. I work a 10 mile stretch of Hwy 75. It IS common for people to stop in or pull to the inside lane. There IS NO INSIDE SHOULDER on this highway! Hell they will stop in the lane half the time. When you pass those cops in the road it isn't because they thought, what the hell I want to get ran over. There's a car in front of them. They gotta stop in relation to them. I always try to light someone up in a safe place. Problem is they may drive a mile or more before pulling over. They're not thinking "Is this a safe place for the officer?" let alone themselves. They're probably a little scared and running through the emotions we all do.

I was hit by a passing motorist about 9 months ago. I was all the way over on the shoulder with my car offset but still very much on the shoulder. I spoke with the driver and turned to head back to my car. At the rear of the car I had stopped I saw headlights coming right at me. The car swerved as it got closer and I was struck by the side mirror knocking me to the shoulder. The car kept going.

I got up and chased the S.O.B. down. I had many thoughts about what I wanted to do when I got up to that car! It turned out to be a chic in her early twenties who had reached into the floorboard to get her babies bottle! She stated that she had seen me and thought she had enough room. She had also heard the noise, my ass getting knocked down, but didn't think much about it.

Did I give her a ticket? No. Did I yell at her dumb ass? No. What I did do was tell her about my 16 year old sister. About how beautiful she looked at prom that year. About how I planned on attending all her tennis matches this season. About how our dad had passed away 4 years ago and that being the oldest, I was the one going to be there for her wedding to give her away. I then told her that she almost took that away from my sister. Not me but my sister. Just because she didn't take the time to change lanes and pay attention. She started to cry. Did it change her behavior and attitude? I hope so. I still work there and she drives the same stretch daily.

Sob story? Maybe. True? Hell yes. My point? Shit ain't always what it seems man. Try to look at the big picture.

My rant is now over.

25. BLAKE

BLAKE

Very touching story - sincerely - and I'm glad everything turned out OK. Also makes me glad I don't have to do what you do every day. However, based upon these types of laws I think I have a better handle on 'the big picture' than most, and your story essentially makes my point for me. You almost got yourself killed and missed out on your 16 year old sister's major life events because you were issuing a traffic citation in a relatively unsafe area.

You failed to mention why you had pulled the other driver over in the first place? Was he fleeing a fatal hit and run, or simply running 10 mph over the limit?

My original point was simply that it makes little sense for an officer to put himself or others at risk when stopping someone for a minor traffic violation. Forcing two lanes of traffic into one lane so's an officer can ticket someone for running 10 mph over the limit is asinine and creates a driving environment that is much more dangerous for the other drivers than the original speeder ever could have.

26. deadelvis

deadelvis

62buford,

I had a lengthy response but changed my mind. I did this because I will not be able to change yours. If you would please assist me in my job by doing the following:

1. Describe what the signs look like that people place on the side of their cars identifying them as those having just committed major crimes such as "fatal hit and runs".

2. Please list all major traffic violations which would warrant contact by an officer on the highway.

3. Please identify "safe areas" on a highway with a speed limit of 65 mph, when observed, in which these contacts may take place.

4. Please identify all situations/violations in which an officer should issue a citation.

5. Please identify those situations in which it "makes sense" for an officer to put himself at risk.

6. Please inform me as to why it is so hard for someone to see me on a traffic stop, slow down, and move over to reduce the chance of running me over.

I'm a cop. I also got a speeding ticket last year during a trip to Texas! For 10 over! Was I pissed? Hell yes! Was I wrong? Hell yes! If I came upon that same Trooper with a car stopped on the side of the road would I slow down and change lanes if possible? Hell yes......he may have a sister too.

I guess this one wasn't any shorter after all. Sorry folks we kinda took this somewhat off topic. 62buford I didn't mean to be a smart ass. We are all molded by our experiences. It sounds like yours with police may have not been all pleasant. Mine weren't either. That is one of the reasons I do what I do. Please don't paint us all with the same brush.

27. Anderson

Anderson

It'd be safer to pull everyone over to the right, slow lane. I know sometimes thats not possible, but most police cars have speaker systems where the officer can tell the other driver to move into the slower lanes.

28. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

The most dangerous son-of- a bitches on the road are wrecker drivers in Texas trying to get to a wreck to throw there chip in the hat for the pull. I've had them pass me on the right side shoulder doing more than the speed limit. There will be one car involved and 25 wrecker drivers on the side or in the road trying to get the pull. Thats nonsense.They are racing to the accident to get the hook.

29. BLAKE

BLAKE

DEADELVIS - I appreciate the exchange of opinions and all, but don't realistically expect this to be a win/lose situation. I value your opinions (and agree with some of them), and fully appreciate the gravity of an officer's decision to put his life on the line each day/night. I have had no truly bad experiences with law enforcement other than annoyances and attitudes - I've been lucky.

My point (again) is simple - in my experience, and in my opinion, a large portion of the traffic stop situations I've encountered have created potentially serious traffic hazards themselves - this includes sudden, forced lane changes, sudden braking, etc... Once you concede that a traffic stop scenario has itself created a traffic hazard, the next logical consideration has to be, "Which was the greater hazard - the traffic violation that caused the officer to pull this guy over, or the hazards created by the patrol car blocking a lane of traffic?". Again, my opinion, but I think in most cases the hazards of blocking a lane of otherwise free-flowing traffic probably outweigh the benefits of issuing tickets for not wearing seatbelts or having the word 'TEXAS' on your license plate covered by a plate frame.

Not trying to change your opinion - just trying to explain mine.