Register now to get rid of these ads!

my evil new toy...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skajaquada, Oct 9, 2007.

1. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

well i won't mention what it's going in, but it's done in the traditional spirit. here's my new 455 as it sits, waiting to go to its new home on wednesday and thurs. started out as a simple regasket/timing set/cam job. now it's got keith black pistons w/ 10.7:1, custom ultradyne cam, edelbrock performer 455 manifold, erson 1 piece pushrods, comp magnum rollers...etc. bottom line is it will make quite a few ponies:D anyhow, just had to show it off and TOMCAT46 FUCKIN' ROCKS for his help in all this; time, space and an extra hand. he's yet another example of the great folks here on the hamb! well enough rambling, here's the pic of the fresh paint and the 6 hour polish job on my valve covers. btw, lifting a 455 block into a truck because you are too lazy to get the lift set up is a bad idea. worse is after that bouncing the crank off your face when you plop it into the front seat. watcha guys think?:cool: :D

[​IMG]

2. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

i dig late olds motors....come on ,tell us what your puttin in

wheres the holes for your motor mounts?

3. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

the holes are still taped up in this pic. it's going in an '84 4-door delta ;) might surprise a couple vettes :cool:

4. dummy

dummy
    from So. Cal

5. Gigantor

Gigantor

Got any pictures of the aftermath of bouncing the crank off your face?

Nice block.

6. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

hahahahaha, goddamn that was funny! Shameless, but funny as hell!

7. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

the bruise has mostly faded now, but there was a pretty good one:D

8. OldsGuy

OldsGuy

Were did you get an original Ultradyne cam? Must have saved it. I have one on the top shelf of my garage work bench, in two pieces. It came delivered that way. I was in the process of rebuilding the engine and ordered it early, I didn't even open it until about two months later (slow build). By then it was too late to claim damage from the shipping company and Harold had gone out of business.:( I had to settle for a bullet cam ground to similar specs.

After watching that video I think I have to clean out my shorts :eek:. Man that is sweet! dummy, what is in the build of your 455? Seeing them bring it up to 6K you must have spent some serious dough on the rotating assembly. That torque meter was awsome!

9. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Reminds me of some show cars ive seen. Painted up real pretty with no guts inside:rolleyes:. Hope it runs as good as it looks some day.

11. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Tee hee...
    You coming to the drags?
    if yes, I will take you for a ride in my Cutlass....

468 inches, Edelbrock heads, performer R.P.M., solid roller, forged S.R.P. pistons, large by long headers, 3 inch, x pipe, Demon Carb, Full M.S.D. suite, improved oiling...etc,etc,etc...

Suffice to say it is sufficently stupid fast.

and I haven't even bolted the nitrous system up yet.:D

12. dummy

dummy
    from So. Cal

Don't mean to hijak but since you asked:

Mondello Performance did the whole deal. Highlights:
    H-beam chrome moly rods
    Custom Ross pistons ('bout 10.75:1 final)
    Nodular crank
    Entire rotating assembly cryo-frozen
    Comp Cams solid roller - 267/276 @ 0.050 & .640/.649 lift cam.
    Did 550hp/570lb-ft normally aspirated. The nitrous dyno run was with the small 150hp shot. I'm upping it to 200hp shot.

13. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

oldsguy...my cam was designed by terry fritsch to my combo and ground by ultradyne, it's 272/284 .499 .499 108 lobe separation. if you wanna find out more, http://www.fcrparts.com/Page_1.php

you're brave to be running a mondello engine there dummy...heh, first time i said that and wasn't calling someone a derogatory name ;)

14. ratstar

ratstar

Get her shoehorned in!!!!

15. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

holy shit, you're alive man...i'm working on getting it in but hit some snags yesterday :(

i was torqueing one of the headbolts down and i though to myself "huh...this feels like it's stretc" TING! MOTHERFUCKINGSONOFABITCHDAUGHTEROFA COCKLICKINGWHORE!! so i call up my machinist and he tells me he has a couple i could have. while i'm out i stop by a junkyard and snag a few more from a 74 cutlass. head back and take off the head to deal with the snapped bolt. it's nearly flush but has that large piece sticking out so i grab a file and get to work so we can drill on something flat. when i put the file to it, it started to turn and i was able to twist it out with my finger. this is why you chase the threads and oil lightly

after i replaced the bolts that measured out to be stretched i start the torque procedure again. i have one feel a little like it's stretching but it torqued to spec. couple more torqued and i feel another one that seems to be stretching. to be sure i'm not just paranoid, i pulled it and measured it then put it back and tried to torque. still wasn't going right so i pulled it again and it stretched .020" (THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE THE FEELING AT THIS POINT...) call up EVERY parts house in town, nothing. call summit, can't get me bolts tomorrow. found one in town that could have some basic stock replacement ones tomorrow but for a fairly steep price. decide to check jegs, found the ARP bolts for $75 plus $25 to overnight and their standard $11 handling fee. not a bad deal but now i'm behind the whole day and won't be able to get my rearend changed so i'll have to be REALLY easy on that poor 7.5 until i can get that done. it's now fairly late in the day since we didn't notice that when degreeing the cam, we had a metric dial indicator on the lifter so it took way longer than it should have as well.

now i can't setup the rockers with un-torqued heads so i decide to do the oil pan and timing cover/water pump. get that all buttoned up and start playing with the pulleys/brackets/accessories. 40 min into that i realize that i didn't put the fuel pump eccentric or oil slinger on. we somehow manage to the timing cover and oil pan to mate back up and the RTV was still a little tacky so it went together again fairly well. only problem is that the entire day is gone, and i mean totally gone. SOOO...tomorrow i'll get the rest of the bracketry and such figured out while waiting for the head bolts and then torque the heads, setup the rockers, bolt on the intake/carb and accessories, bold on the eshaust manifolds and then go for the swap.

that is if nothing else decides to come up...

16. OldsGuy

OldsGuy

Man that sucks! Iv'e had days like that too. shpotty, thanks for the link. Last time I heard about Harold he was grinding for someone else. It is good to see he is back up and running. He has a great reputation and I might buy one of his cams for "spare".