Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Deuce Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy Tee, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I wish I could take credit for this work, but my welding skills are very limited, which is why I chose to farm out the Chassis work to Ben at Rancho Deluxe here in Melbourne. He is the artist in this case.

2. Progressing nicely.

Spotto Dans roadster, long time no see!

3. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Work continues on the Chassis build over at Rancho Deluxe.

The Chassis was turned upside down to complete the welding that couldn't be done in the upright position.

[​IMG]

The Rails were then notched to provide added clearance for the Front Spring

[​IMG]

The Steering Box mounts were finished off.

[​IMG]

Work then moved to the Rear Bones. Strengthening plates were added, complete with stylish holes to match the Belled holes on the Chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

oz rat you have started with the correct motor i look foward to your progress on the project what trans and diff are you going to use? as for the chassis email me. if your car ends up half as nice as that blue one you will have a nice car

5. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I send my US evilbay & other US purchases to my Buddy at Dakota Mustang, SD, USA. He then packages them all together and sends them over to me. Yesterday another lot of Goodies arrived....... The 55 Olds Dash & Eddie Meyer Intake Manifold setup amongst the more special of the items.

[​IMG]

6. farmer12

farmer12

Looking great, nice fabrication!

7. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

That dash will look Awesome!

8. Cool!

An STP sticker!!! :D

9. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

The Rear End, along with the Rear Bones have now been fitted. The Diff is out of a Chrysler Centura (Aussie Car).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Steering Box was also Fitted........ No, It's not on the wrong side.

[​IMG]

Work can now turn to the assembly of the Front End.

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

certainly getting there Oz, keep the pics coming.

11. ken1939

ken1939

Looking great, wonderful fabrication, well thought out.

12. 57plymbel

57plymbel

Hey JT, you finally motivated me to punch some keys ! Nice work to all involved so far. Looks tasteful so far...... Don't break a nail now, ya hear? !!!

13. Ahhh....

The Chimpster has arrived !! At LAST !! Do an intro man before you get flamed !!

JT...lookin real good. Those goodies will speed up things for sure.

If its half as nice as that blue car thats gettin' around, you'll have a real kool ride !!

But still only half as nice !!

Ahhh, so many chains, Platinum ones even !!

And with that.....EXIT, stage LEFT !!

Rat

14. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Hahahahaha..... They will be different styles mate..... You will have the 60's Chainer Ride, not everyone could afford a Blown Flathead back then....... and I'll have the Poverty Pack, mid 50's Lakes style ride..... Role reversal, ya like that?

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You got Panache! Oz Rat!!!.....

Excellent thread and awesome build!

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well,.... I can't believe I missed this thread !,... Really nice work !

17. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Update time, just finished the shocks and driveshaft loop, which also adds some stiffness to the centre crossmember, and made some spreader bars. The rear shocks are early VW beetle, a good fit on these chassis, the fronts are P&J's.Front mounts are F1 truck, and the lowers are a machined bung welded to the axle, dont like the bolt on ones..Just Pedals to go, then front end, and my work will be done..and its over to the oz rat for all the millions of other jobs! Its been a fun chassis to build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

You've got real talent & style Ben. I especially dig those stylish supports for the Crossmember Brace. I'll get my ass over there for a close look once the Front end bits get delivered.

Yeah, nearly done, then over to me for the rest, but it will be back to you for exhaust.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  19. Thats it...your going from Platinum Chainer to ...ummm....

K Y P T O N I T E C H A I N E R !!!

In one huge leap !!

Great stuff LS.....

Rat

20. Retroline

Retroline

Nice build guys, I'm enjoying the progress so far, Finished by October?

21. I was under the impression that the welded on threaded bungs on a front axle were not legal in Australia? Or at the very least, QLD. I am unsure of the legality of it in VIC.

22. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Finish date is set for Oct 2011.... There is still a lot of work to go and much Money to come up with to finish this project.

All I can add is that Ben had the same set-up on his Roadster and he got Full Reg. I'm using the same Engineer, but will certainly not be mentioning anything to him about this set-up. Thanks for the heads up.

23. AFL

AFL
    from Melbourne

Looks good mate. Great fabrication work.

24. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Progress on the Chassis is nearing completion over at Rancho Deluxe. Lowsquire has been busy finishing off all the Front & Rear End components.

The Rear End is now assembled. Some customisation was required to replace the rear U-Bolt as the rear crossmember had been widened in the centre to acomodate the bigger spring. You can see the bit that was widened in the pic below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Cycle Guard Mounts were fabricated & Installed. More Stylish Fabrication by Lowsquire...... Ya gotta love his work.

[​IMG]

Front End assembly is nearing completion. Just waiting on an A Model Spring Pack & a New Main Leaf to come in.

Some issues relating to Steering arm clearance still exist, but that will be resolved via the use of either a R/H Drive Spindle set or the use of a R/H Drive Super Bell Forged Steering arm kit. The Forged item will allow for it to be bent to clear the Hairpin. The Steering arms are currently an unpolished Stainless Steel set, which his been advised not to heat & bend...... Manufacturers standard Liability warning I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Looking real good Oz Rat, gotta be happy with that! Ben's doing a top notch job there.

26. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Awesome progress Rat!

So what's the verdict?

Coupe or Roadster?

HC.

27. Lookin good, lookin really good!!

28. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I looked at a couple of others when it came time to build the Chassis, but one look at Ben's work and a quick chat with him certainly made my mind up. The guy sure knows his stuff and is not bad with a welder either.

She's gonna be a 3W Coupe. I was toying with the Roadster idea when I came up against the issue about Registering a re-bodied car, but that seem to have been sorted now.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  29. erlomd

erlomd

when I read this thread I have an australian accent in my head...lol

Great work!! more pics to all of us pic hungry mongrels!

30. LabRat

LabRat

Great progress Oz Rat !

Lowsquire , Tripping frame work man ....

This build thread is a keeper !