Register now to get rid of these ads!

My craiglist find 34 Willys delivery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abone1930, Jul 24, 2012.

1. abone1930

abone1930

Since the car came with the front fender transion to running board pieces and a beautiful set of splash aprons should I run the running boards or no running boards? The car will be set up in gasser form.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Weasel

Weasel

Gassers traditionally ran without running boards....[​IMG]

3. Rodders

Rodders

very nice find

4. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Great find man! Cannot wait to see what you're gonna do with it! Post progress pics please! I always loved the Dogcather 33 panel.

5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

What a beauty. Nice find and I like your thoughts on its future. Can't wait to see it finished.

6. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

7. carlover60

carlover60

Very Nice Indeed!! Craigslist has some deals... found my 37 Chevy coupe in Michigan last summer the same way... called the dude at 6 AM, 7 AM, finally got him and told him I would be there the next day with trailer to haul it back to FL...

8. bgaswillys

bgaswillys

Once again Weasal is WRONG. There is amble evidence that Willys did in fact produce some 234 (or so) 33 and 34 Willys deliveries. He just can get over the fact that he doesn't know everything Willys,,,knows a lot but not everything.

We've had this discussion before,,,

Great find and have fun building it, I have one myself. Like Weasal says, they are rare. Mine is a 35 but I put a 33 dash in and will call it a 33,,,My door frames are steel (also a 35). Nice find.

9. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

glad that you followed up on the Craigslist ad and was able to get it.

Post 61 Of the Dog Catcher was based out of Ohio and Keith is still alive and kicking in central Ohio area.

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very, very cool. Looking forward to watching this one go together!

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Looks like one of my favorite model kits from way back. I just can't quite remember the kit exactly, but something has jogged this old brain!

12. Weasel

Weasel

That's a very bold statement with zero evidence to support your wild assertion. Just recently I had a discussion about what appeared to be an all steel 1933 Willys panel only to find out that the owner had removed a sedan body and put a 1935 panel body in it's place. Thus it is titled as a 1933, looks like a 1933 but the body is 1935. I know of at least one other like this. And I have an original 1933 chassis and front sheet metal and could do the same with my panel. I have heard many stories and still not one shred of evidence or incontrovertible proof to support any assertion that the panel was built any earlier than 1935. The same goes for the pickup truck which shares the front section of the panel van body - different roofline than the passenger cars. So unless you have certified actual Willys factory documentation including serial numbers and production dates that correspond to those serial numbers then I stand by my contention that 1935 was the first year for the panel body, regardless of what anyone has done with them subsequently.

And to prove how little you know, the 1935 dash is the same as the 1933, so if yours was really a 1935 (88 units total production) you wouldn't need to change the dash - and modify the windshield header, fit windshield hinges, modify the windshield flange and fit the recessed crank lever as well as welding up the right hand gauge holes, cutting out the sheet metal and fitting a glove box recess and hinged glovebox door. If you 'had to change the dash' then it sounds as if you have a 1936 (370 units total production). There are several other differences in the interior, the cladding on the wheel wells in the cargo area and the mounting of the spare wheel - but you know all these subtle details don't you, or as it appears, you don't even know the differences between the '35 and '36 so pardon me if I give you no credence....:confused:

I am fully prepared to be proven wrong but we need hard facts not hearsay and you haven't even given that much....:rolleyes:

13. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great find of a rare car!

14. 68wagon

68wagon

15. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

When I read your post about changing out the dash to a 33. I was thinking right away that your car is a 36. If you have a 35 willys why would you change out the dash for a 33? Weasal is 100% correct 33-35 Willys dashs are all the same. If you did not have a glove box. Your car is a 36. Plus check out your windshield. 36 had a fixed frame. Also the cowl vent is larger on a 36.Sounds like you have a 36. Also Titles can be misleading.I have a stock 36 sedan,but the title states that it was a 33 Willys sedan.

16. Roger53

Roger53

Damn those texas unrusty bodies give me theWILLIES:eek: cool have some fun on the build!:D Roger

17. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Nice score, love the gasser idea.
    If your into naming your cars BANDIT would be a nice way to pay tribute to those wheels. since we all know there headed to the junk/forsale pile.

Godspeed
    MrC.

18. Nice to see some serious discussion when it comes to Willys. However, it makes little difference as to what year's they were, they all look good. The '34 front clip is my favorite, but the the three Deliveries I have seen (Sudermann's, and local Twin Cities guy Dave Davis, and the yellow one from Florida) all put that sheet metal on theirs, and didn't find them that way. My sedan has the '36 sheet metal, and it is a unique look also. Weasel is more than 99% +, right in his knowledge base on Willys, and anyone that differs will have to show proof to me...as there may be exceptions. If you have been into Willys for a long time, the one thing you know for sure is that what ever came from the factory could always contain something from different years, but I'll stand by my first statement...they all look good!
    g-willys

19. abone1930

abone1930

I have my vin tag, how do ya read it? :)
    I can't wait to start on it my garage is finally done, one electrical done I can start moving my stuff into it, then I can start on my Willys :)

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. afaulk

afaulk

Dude.......nice find, one of my personal favorites for a gasser. I've looked long and hard at the repro. fiberglass bodies. I really don't care what year it is. It's sweet. I could def. make room in my garage. Maybe you should change nickname to Mr Lucky!

21. Weasel

Weasel

Just to make it simpler for bgaswillys to figure out which year he has....:rolleyes:

1933-35 dash from original 1933 brochure....

[​IMG]

1936 dash with accessory ashtray on right - look mom, no windshield crank....

[​IMG]

And just to confuse the chronologically challenged - a RHD 1933-35 Willys dashboard - mirror image of the US version. The windshield crank has a recess in the dash...

[​IMG]

22. Raceful

Raceful
    from Fulton

How do I remove the original horn button and chrome trim ring on a 1933 willys

23. willyscoupe

willyscoupe

No body knows everything but I heard that that was the aproximate number of commercial vehichles in total produced from early 35 to late 36 . I would love to see the proof of any production numbers of model 77 commerical units and find out once and for all how many of each there are ! I have a 35 delivery title and a complete 36 delivery here . I have always heard that there were no 77 deliveries before 35 And have only seen proof of one early piece that had the 35 dash and a 34 clip which is od because the front of the frame would need to be modified for that ? With Willys anything is possible I guess ?
    And PS, Weasle does know almost everything Im sure :)

24. willyscoupe

willyscoupe

25. The dash of my '35. JW[​IMG]

26. Weasel

Weasel

^^^ great photo showing the recess for the 1933-35 window crank handle, even if the photo is reversed....;)

27. Weasel

Weasel

1935 Panel delivery from the factory brochure - wire wheels are the clue to the year. Roof line looks more than a little off in this artist's rendition....

[​IMG]

28. Weasel

Weasel

Compare this with my - ahem "1933"....;)

[​IMG]

29. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Abone..As you may know Doug Gray built the Catch Me if You Can Car, he ls still around and still building Willys, he moved out of the bay area to northern California or southern Oregon I think he is on the HAMB..

30. abone1930

abone1930

When I start on the car I will leaning to the same style as Catch me if you can and DogCatcher . Leaving the 4 speed in the car but the sbc will proably come out since I am a bbc guy. Can't do a Hemi 392 and up just can't afford them , unless I run across it cheap like I did the car. I have all the parts to do a Crower injected bbc, but I am still kicking it around, it's just sitting there anyway or it will be blown either way it will be cool, 10to 12" wide rim, 10 wide piecrust straight axel, would teally like to find a Willys axel original , if it will with stand the weight?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012