Register now to get rid of these ads!

my Comets-long over due

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cshabang, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Cshabang

Cshabang

hey guys- been forever I've been meaning to post these. They aren't the best pics, but here they are.

the 65: caliente, 289:14 to 1 comp, C4 fully race prepped, 4500 stall, 4.11s for now with a locker in an 8 in.-haven't broken it yet...lol original LA car, its loud and obnoxious thanks to the 3 in exhaust dumpin under the car just in front of the rearend- better heads, more gear-hope to be in the 11's with it
    Just did the hood while in school- revamped the functional ram air one I had on it by molding a teardrop to it, similar to Dyno dons 64 cali.

the 61: well, was gonna be a wild early 60's show car.. 6 deuced FE, 5 speed, hydros, lots of flake, Radirs, whitewall slicks and sitting on the ground,and some stuff I don't want to give away yet-lol but lately I'm thinkin a mild custom...straight 6 with acouple carbs, split manifold and bell flowers,5 speed, I have a set of early Ansen 5 spoke wheels, shave, flaked, you know, clean and simple- that was until thanks to SNODAWG who has a FE intake-DAMN YOU-now who knows which way its gonna go...

thanks guys for reading- theres more info I've forgotten

Attached Files:

2. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Very cool rides, man.:D

3. Cshabang

Cshabang

thanks man- been 10 years I've had the 65 now-can't believe it

4. Nice cars! I'm just getting started on my '65. Going old school Gasser. The wife thinks I'm nuts, but the kids love the idea.

5. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

6. 50shoe

50shoe

I like that '65! cool hood. I know where there's a low mileage 65 moredoor sitting inside that I could get cheap...

7. Mike

Mike

Cool cars. I really dig the '65, I'm a big fan of super stock style cars. Last year I had to sell my '62 Comet 2 door, 144 6cyl, 3 on the tree. A basic but very solid, good looking little car. I miss it.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

9. pikesan99

pikesan99

Dig your car! I want to do something like that A/FX style....one of these days. I think the square bodied cars, 64-65 Falcon and Comet are the best for that. They're just the right length and the square edges give just the right look when the wheels are moved around...

Thanks for the pics

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Very cool, I had a friend with a '65 Comet 2dr HT that we replaced a quarter on and put a 351W/C4 in. It's been one of my favorite '60s Fomocos ever since, it's a cool one-year body. Nice rides man!

11. Powerband

Powerband

The '61 Comet's were among the last American cars that celebrated the TAILFIN. The early Comet carried many of the best styling cues of the 50's.
    It mirrors the '57 Chevy, The Roadmaster and the Crown Vic's as well.
    You probably have read that the 60 & 61 Comet does not say Mercury anywhere on it because it was slated to be released as the "little Edsel" before Edsel went down the tubes.

[​IMG]

My '61 ( Worked Loghead L6/toploader/Hooker dual out headers with dump Valve, etc..):

[​IMG]

More Comet & other of my cars and stuff:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v296/Powerband/

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I drive a Comet too. Mine's a '62, 144ci, 2 spd auto. I drive it everyday, and get about 25mpg. Sure beats a Taurus.

I've been thinking about a little custom work too. And I think I've come to the conclusion that they are happiest with minor mods. Subtle stuff, like shaving the handles and emblems (except the sights on the fenders!), and some clean simple wheel treatment. With the little half moon curve in the side trim near the door handle, I think Lincoln pushbuttons would look killer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Cshabang

Cshabang

Thanks for the kind words guys- I started messin with my dads 65 today-r code 427/4 speed car...finally got him excided about it again...haha knew I could do it
    I also finally tore into my old 289 that originally was in my car. I thought I had spun a rod bearing and I was right. Inspection of #5 showed us that it just started to spin, but I got it early enough-didn't hurt the crank or the rod-

14. Spooky

Spooky

WOW!
    Those are really nice.
    I Love Comets. I had a '63 S-22 that had a mild 302 in it that was a MONSTER. Handled really well too.
    At onetime I was going to be given an original Continental Kit for my '63 But I traded my Comet for a '62 Galaxie Sunliner before the deal could be made.

15. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Nice cars Chris. Are you going to be driving the 14:1 to the run in October? I'd love the hear that baby run.

16. Merc63

Merc63

Very cool! Love to see the Comets getting love here!

My first car (back in '78) was a '62 Comet 2 door that I got from my grandfather. I shaved the trim and bolted on '60 Falcon front sheetmetal (as I thought the inset shape on the side of the Falcon front fenders matched the inset shape of the Comet rear quarters). The first pic below is of one identical to what mine looked like when I got it. the second pic is of me and my dad doing the bodywork on it back in '78 when I was a junior in high school. Unfortunate,y, at the time a car like that wasn't even slightly cool in school, so I traded it off for a big block Torino GT.

As much as I liked all the other cars I've owned, I retained a soft spot for them...

I now have a pair of '63 Comets. An S-22 2 door hardtop and a Custom convertible. The hardtop is getting the 260 and automatic from the convertible and will be my stepson's first car (he's 13 now, and has plans to repaint it black, and drop it on airbags over painted steelies). The convert is getting the same Falcon nose treatment my first car did, with a LOT of small custom touches, as well as a custom frame (the underside of the car is pretty messed up now) and a Lexus DOHC, 32valve aluminum V8 and 5 speed...

Attached Files:

17. Cshabang

Cshabang

The falcon fenders look pretty cool Merc63, and it sounds like you got a ton of work going in the your car-keep me posted.. Paul-it should be out for the run, if not on the run, it'll be at the shop...Hopefuly, I'll get some stuff on my dads done too-

Thanks again guys for the friendly words-