Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my carb is overflowing with gasoline.. whats wrong??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luvzccr, Oct 17, 2008.

1. luvzccr

luvzccr

WOW! i havent been on here in quite a while.

anyway, my 58 has been great ever since finishing up my motor swap project.
    but this past tuesday i was driving home from work and ran out of gas!

my dad had to come bring some gasoline, it wasnt starting... he put some in my carb... it just barley started but it had a verrrrryyy rough idle and it kept dying at a red light. it ran fine before running out of gas, now the carb is overflowing with gasoline out of these two little holes on the side!!

we've tried hitting where the float is just in case its stuck, but no luck... has this happened to anyone before, what happened? i wanna drive my 58 again :(

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sounds like a stuck float. Give it a good knock with a soft hammer or wooden handle.
    Finesse here>>>
    Sorry didn't read you've tried that. You may have to disassemble and clean checking all edges for misalignment.

3. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

sometimes they don't unsitck that easy.. maybe have to rebuild it.

4. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

Dirt in the needle / seat
    take it apart and clean it.
    When you run out of gas, you can sometimes pick up crap from the bottom of the tank, or dirt from the gas can.

5. If raw gas is flowing out of the top of it, then most likely the float is stuck or has a piece of crap in it. Just take the top off and see what is going on. You may or may not need another top/bowl gasket (depending on the carb model). If you want to save the gasket (assuming it doesn't tear), then don't let it dry out - keep it soaked in a pan of gas or even water.

6. Yep, stuck float or needle and seat are shot. Take the float bowl off and clean it up.

7. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

check the needle and seat. If not then look if you have the newer plastic floats(if its a holley). those pieces of Oprah shit are notorious for filling up with fuel and hanging dow in the bowl. Did the car backfire through the intake when you ran it out of gas?

8. chris55

chris55

The holley on my wifes 56 t-bird did the same thing. Turned out some dirt had gotten into the carb. Rebuilt it and now its fine.

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

+ 1 for a bit of shit in the needle/seat area. Pull it apart and blow it out. Then add a inline fuel filter.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+2 for the dirt in the needle and seat. You might try taking the fuel line off the carb and spraying carb cleaner in the inlet and putting the line back on and trying it before pulling the carb apart. If it floods again pull the carb off and either clean out the needle and seat or rebuild the carb.

These old cars always seem to have a bit of dirt in the tanks after 50 years and this happens quite a bit when the car runs out of gas or is run low on gas quite a bit.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

prolly a good time to clean out the tank and fuel llines while you are at it.

12. 3Mike6

3Mike6

When you take it apart, shake the float and make sure it's not full of fuel or has any fuel in it.