Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Been running alu radiators for 15 years in the 36 started out with a Griffin but was unhappy with their workmanship just replaced it with a BeCool and am much happier, never had any problems with water circulation and run stats, big stats, and never in 50 years used washers or other shit just made sure block was clean to start with and had good pumps and stats............. do make sure you ground the radiator so there is no current flowing to start electrolisis

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i never had a problem before with the lower mount water pumps.. but the more i think about it, they pumped from the block up though the heads and into the rad. so they had time to slow down instead of just pooring water in the rad. it never gets hot just over flows like a bitch when your into the gas!

ohhhhh trust me.... after the last 3 days in the garage.. i bet my asshole neighbors love me! i have a lot of great older guys that live close that just love to hear the flathead fire up.. most of the time they come pulling in the drive to come see. but there is always that one guy who is an ass. :)

im not running any thermostats. im going to cut some restrictors to see what that does. it may really help. i havea set of pumps off my old engine that someone trimmed the fins down... i may have to do just that. but ill try the restrictors... may cut them 1 7/8" od and 7/8" id. that will slow it down a lot. of course 2 days before i have to leave for the race of gentlemen! hope that fixes it.. if not.. oh well. its only 1/8 mile of running at a time

3. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Your coupe looks bitch'n with the black walls and solids. I think your 34 needs to find some different wheels and tires so these can stay.

4. redzula

redzula

Any video of said tire smoky test and tune with the new dizzy? Idle and parked revving sound great but hearing one run under load. Is just so much better. Good luck at the races. And keep everything in one piece this is by far my favorite build on the hamb and mostly because you aren't afraid to drive it hard and you are humble enough to tell us about the little problems. Good luck and keep us posted. Most importantly HAVE FUN!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Great build thread, love the car.

6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

X2

7. redzula

redzula

Stumbled upon your instagram. Just spent 20 minutes creeping on all your blown flattie pics instead of working... thank you sir.

8. bigorangetruck

bigorangetruck
    from TX

Holy Crap this is SO Awesome!! I just got a '28!

9. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Here is some pics from last weekend. I'll do a little write up later today with more pics

Attached Files:

daddio211 likes this.
  10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The B&W pic is just too cool!

11. telekenfun

telekenfun

I have followed this thread on your build from the start and must say how much I have appreciated and enjoyed it. I appreciate your posting of all the trials and tribulation that you have endured in the last two years. You have accomplished much and should be satisfied with the results. Additionally, this thread has been most educational regarding those early McCulloch superchargers. You should also be commended for the excellent photo documentation of the project. You have provided a great service to all who have interest in an authentic hot rod build.
    Judging from your latest photos at the Race for Gentlemen, your Model AV8 is just perfect as it stands, there is nothing else that really needs to be done to it, even the white walls can stay! However considering the hotrodder credentials you have acquired it is certain there will be changes coming in the future and we look forward to any you devise.
    Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  12. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

I have to tell you, been watching The Race of Gentlemen coverage from a bunch of different sources like yours and others instagram posts and on here etc. You have helped make it a goal of mine to at the very least attend next year but hopefully participate. What a great looking event and awesome to see all the great cars- including yours.

Thanks for the inspiration!

13. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Awesome car! One of my favorites at Trog for sure!

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

gents
    well i posted a few pictures from the race of gentlemen.... If you have never been there, Its something you before you kick the bucket.. It is a yearly event, however at the same time, its a once in a life time experience..... For a racer, that moment when you pull under the board walk and your front tires come out of the tunnel and hit the sand.. Its something that not every hot rod guy gets to experience. Your driving along the water park about 100 yards or more, then it opens up. There is cars and racers everywhere... And staring out the windshield of my model a, it looks as if on one side of the tunnel was 2014, the other was 1947.... Every single thing is to detail of the days of racing on the beach... It really is a time warp.. Seeing all these vintage race cars, roadsters, trucks, coupes, sedans... everything numbered and lettered up as they were 6o some years ago... Seeing the old tents and the black board to keep track.... This is something you see when you close your eyes for weeks after the journey back home to the normal day to day life... anxiously waiting for next year to be announced.. working on you race car hoping it is chosen..
    Never did i figure that my plain old model a would be chosen.. I submitted my photos early in the year before the race was even scheduled.... A few weeks went by and i got an email from mel, he loved it!.... So right then and there i started to get nervous.. months flew by as we got ready to head east.. many things needed done, my daily driver needed attention for the trip. we had to plan a hotel and some places to eat.... Before you knew it, it was 11pm on thursday and we hit the road.. headed est on I80 all the way to the coast.. I stuffed my car on the trailer along with dave carters single seat racer...

FRIDAY:
    6 hours later we arrived a a friends place, Joe Teager.. So we had to make magic happen to squeeze his 32 ford on the trailer... A few hours of messing around, we had it all strapped down and ready to go...
    So we hit the parkway south towards wildwood... It was about a 4 hour drive with a dodge dually and a 30ft trailer... About 3 hours into the trip we crossed a bridge under construction. As soon as the trailer tires hit the bridge a piece of steel flew up and cut the drivers front trailer tire like it was butter... So carrying 6 spare tires, we pulled to a rest area and got to work... We had only Tires, no rims.. so we had to do the job of changing the tire onto the wheel... We were prepared for this... I had all my tire irons and air tanks.. but no bead breaker.. so for a few seconds i scratched my head trying to figure out how to get the beads broke loose... so i slid the tires under the trailer jacks and started cranking them down.. it worked like a charm.. within 15 mins we had the tire changes and ready to go..While we were working, several numbered up roadsters came rolling in.. They also were headed for the greatest race on earth.
    We pulled over the bridge into wildwood... My two brothers were in the truck for the trip. This was their first time to see the ocean. So on top of going to the greatest hot rod gathering ever, they also got to see the most amazing blue water horizon... As we pulled into wildwood, People were staring and taking pictures of our ridiculous load of racing equipment... We headed to our hotel, slowly trying to soak all our surroundings in.. From street light to street light, the roads were littered with hot rods and vintage bikes... along with the old buildings and hotels... It was unreal!..
    So our room was on the 6th floor. We spend some of the evening soaking in the waves and the wind while we got prepped for friday nights party and sign in. We fired up the coupe and headed a few blocks into town where the main gathering was... i must say, the coupe was a hit. It drew a lot of attention... But on the other hand there was a lot of guys that walked right by it. Thats understandable. It did not fit in well.. it had the white wall tires, no numbers and it was not racey looking. .. we got all signed in and headed for dinner. A nice little diner was across the street, so we pulled in and of course, it was a great photo opportunity. So among 5 or 6 other people, we all took pictures for a few minutes. Then walked in and sat down.. still soaking in the face that we were actually at the race of gentlemen... we made it.. we where here!.... MY two brothers, the oldest, and then the youngest, still haven't came to realization that we were in the company with some of the coolest hot rods in the country.
    We spent the evening cruising around enjoying the weather and sharing the streets with hot rod after hot rod, customs squeezed in between, a few very loud bikes.. it was a sight and an experience that words cant describe...after a night of shooting the shit and trying to get organized. it was time to hit the hay.

SATURDAY:
    we woke up late, the races start at 8 and it was 7:30... so my two brothers and i pile in the coupe, fallowed by joe in his #89 32 ford truck.. we hit the sand.. we pulled in to find everyone standing around talking and admiring each others works of art... it was a giant relief to know we didnt miss anything!... It was cold and rainy. within an hour the races began... we scurried around helping guys. they were having battery troubles and some were out of gas. the excitement sure got the best of alot of us.. It was a great day of racing... it went by so fast i hardly can explain in details..
    Sat night we got showered up and headed into town for dinner and fueling up. Joe and i ended up buying new batteries while we were there.. his was just old and tired, mine had a hole in the side and leaked out all the acid onto my trailer. So it was toast.. But the gents at the local auto parts store gave us a great deal because we were racers, so with in the hour, we were back up and good to go... Then it was back on to the beach after dark for a bon fire and some music by the one and only Andy Kohler and some others.. it was a great evening with the moon lighting up the ocean and the old cars parked on the beach.. I was first introduced to Elrod just a few minutes after arriving for the fire.. It was great to meet him and we talked cars and superchargers for a while...It was getting late and we headed for the hotel
    SUNDAY:
    We all got up and headed straight for the beach. a little more prepared than the previous day. A full tank of gas, fresh battery and a spare, tools and jumper cables. we were set!! The sun was out and was getting hot. it was a beautiful day to be on the beach.. we raced all day... beating our cars down the rough sand in the right lane, hoping to get a shot at that semi wet, smooth left lane... there was photographers everywhere, and the crowd that came just to watch was amazing.. it was breath taking to see all this going on.. it takes a while for it to sink in that your involved, that you were chosen to join the oilers and there friends on the beach!... We did some great racing as ford racing and hot rod magazine shot photo after photo.. Petes wife and hot rod jen were walking around capturing everything possible!

IT was a long hot day and we were all exhausted from the sun and the excitement... i was about 4 pm, we still needed to check out of our hotel by 3! woops..... So we rushed back, gathered our belongings and headed for the truck.. Dave met us there in the single seater, which later on i realized he blew a head gasket around noon and was done for the day.. Andy kohler supervised as we got everything loaded up. We only had 2 vehicles for the trip home.. So we all stood around reminiscing the last 3 days and telling stories that each one of us already knew... it was perfect....

We hit rio-grand ave and headed for home...I had to make small pit stop and pick up a carb that i lent out during the race. So it was safe and sound back in the tool box and it was the open highway back home... some bad traffic in philly.. and some very long steep hills as we headed west. We ended up getting home about 2 am....it was a long weekend of driving and racing... but i wouldn't change any detail of it for the world.. we made some great friends, put some faces to a few hamb guys that i have been fallowing... even shook the hands of some amazing, genuine, down to earth hot rod guys.. People say your life changes when you step on the salt at bonneville....... try driving on the beach of wildwood NJ.........

A BIG thanks goes to mel and bobby, the oilers, the racers, the fans and all the guys that helped but this event into play..... we are for ever grateful and hope it returns next year! It was a great time with my brothers and with a lot of good friends!!

ill post some photos below:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    pitman and Hotrodmyk like this.
  15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Part 1

Attached Files:

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Part 2

Attached Files:

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Part 3

Attached Files:

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Part 4

Attached Files:

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

a little in cab view:

20. Ben, the video is awesome.

Streetrods are drivin' by Chevy, Hotrods are powered by Ford!

21. joemac05

joemac05

How was the cooling system? I ain't hearing any complaints.

22. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

after installing the restrictor washers its perfect! it got warm on one run because i ran 2 time previously.. But i was really running it out there!

23. Thanks for sharing your experience hotrodderhaag! I've enjoyed following your build and just love your Model A. Driving on the beach had to have been a blast and like you said, a feeling of stepping back in time.

24. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Very cool video.. thanks for sharing.

25. Charlville

Charlville

Caught up with this thread a few days ago, great work :)

26. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

The ROG .....looks like a great time was had by all. :cool:

Especially you....;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for this great thread......:)

Bob

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  27. [​IMG]

When a picture is worth a thousand words!

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  28. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

29. [​IMG]

.....sorry. I couldn't help myself. Stellar pic' of you and your fun. I'm one of the dumb ones whom likes the big pictures to mug my attentions. They're as much fun as the reading part. Enjoy the holidays. Hope Santy' Claus has some goodies picked for ya'.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  30. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great pictures!