Register now to get rid of these ads!

History My AUTORAMA MERC GATHERING Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Feb 18, 2009.

1. I agree that Jerry's car was on the street first but I still don't buy that Jerry's car was finished before Sam started his. If Sam bought a fairly new model '49, which with the rear window it seems he did, with the intentions of creating a new custom out of it I find it hard to believe he would not be working on his while they worked on Jerry's.

Also the two magazines (Popular Science article and Motor Trend Cover) are only 2 months apart Oct 1951 and Dec 1951 meaning Sam's car was finished and on the cover two months after the Popular Science article came out. Given that there is a lot more work done on Sam's car than Jerry's and still working on the premise that it was being done after hours rather than during the work day I still think it had to have been started before or at least in a similar time frame as Jerry's.

Maybe Geroge didn't use the pictures in the Popular Science article because they didn't want to show the car until it was complete and in paint.

Edit: We also have no idea if build photos were taken of Sam's Merc and were lost, destroyed in the shop fire or are out there somewhere like the Hirohata build pictures are supposed to be.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. Rikster

Rikster

Wow this will be spectacular... I wish I could be there with you to talk to Jerry.... but even if I could. It probably would not be wise to do so.
    I understand that there will be many more people interested in having diner with Jerry. But at this moment I think it would be best if Jeff alone will meet up with Jerry. I have been in contact with Jerry a few times. And I think he is the kind of guy that likes to talk about this stuff... and speak about it in detail... but not with a crowd. then he will just not talk. So for the sake of history I think Jeff should talk to Jerry alone. They have been talking over the phone several times... I think we have the best change finally knowing the truth about this

3. BEAR

BEAR

thank you for the great pics

4. unklgriz

unklgriz

Thanks Rik for the pics!

I do have one question for you tho (or anybody else), you commented a few times on how some of the cars were built with a modern style. What do you mean by that?

Again, thanks for the pics and the info you provide for us when it comes to customs.

Larry

5. axle

axle
    from Drag City

You know what dude, out of every post on this thread. You REALLY put things in to perspective. You HAVE to be right on this. Just think about what has been discovered in the past year or so, and think about the notes, pictures, and yes, magazine articles that we still don't know about. Wouldn't be the first time!

"Funny how? Whats so funny bout it?" What am i....a clown....do i amuse you?"

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. axle

axle
    from Drag City

You're probably right

7. Has Jerry seen pic's of your car Jeff? Make sure you bring some with you,when you go have lunch or dinner.

8. Yes Jerry has seen it ,I sent him a couple magazines and pictures.

9. Did he ask you why it isn't white? hahaha!

10. Great thread... When you meet Jerry... here are some of my suggested questions: :)

So what car did he have before? What made him and Sam Barris and everyone else realize the car would look so good chopped? Maybe you could print out a list of the first ten Mercs and see if he agreeds to the order that they are percieved being built in?

11. Jeff J

Jeff J

Really cool pics and all the history there ! What a cool dream to do! Now it's part of history!! Way to go !

12. Just wanted to bring this back up,since there were a lot of guys talking about Jerrys Merc and tailights earlier tonight.

13. Ok ... the lesson of the day is stance. This is a breathtaking car right here. I just cant get over how good these cars look with the Al Andril stance.I still dont see how anyone can argue this.Sledge.... you hit a grandslam my friend.

14. Sure beats the crap out of "laying frame"!I can't get enough of this car,love the "Boat out of the water" look!

15. YES !!!!!!!! Looks like a ChrisCraft hauling ass across lake Arrowhead. It's the only way.

16. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Does anyone know wich color code is the one in this car?

[​IMG]

17. [​IMG]
    I love this mercury,just so smooth and clean.

18. 51 mercules

51 mercules

X's 2

19. [​IMG]
    This photo is just so killer,great shot Rik!

51 mercules likes this.
  20. Yup. I even love the baby blue color on it. It just works.

21. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

HISTORY LESSON TIME !!!!

Look these guys build cars that were CLASSY not TRASHY. Maybe for people will start building CLASSY CUSTOMS again.

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  22. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

History lesson time !!!!

23. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Great customs!!!! These are not over chopped,looking broke on the ground, and flow from the front to the back. I love these threads!!

24. chaw5634

chaw5634

Amazing, thank you for sharing with the world

25. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Great cars, great pics absolutely fantastic.

26. Some of the best threads on the HAMB ..

Are ten year plus "classics".

BTT

27. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

This is a great thread and article on true history of Kustoms, especially with some of the people who have contributed that own famous Kustoms. I am in awe of this information and will thank all who participated!

kidcampbell71 and 54delray like this.
  28. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I was there and it brings back a lot of memories. [​IMG]

kidcampbell71, 54delray and Austinrod like this.