Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 62 Galaxie project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wreckingball, Apr 14, 2010.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Great job on a really great car!

2. I do like that color combo, different but cool.

3. John in Oz

John in Oz

Looks like you are doing a top job there, where abouts in Oz are you. You can buy most of th etrim (upholstery) new ex U.S and they are pretty reasonably priced when you need to redo it inside.

4. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

You done good! That car is looking good. Colors are nice. The part is the best to me... you did it all in the garage on your own. Thats what I call love for the car. y dad once said "If you didn't cry, sweat, or bleed over it, it aint yours" Man, I think you own it! Good work.

5. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Im in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, thanks for the tip, I have just about everything I need for the car. I imported a bunch of parts, seat trim, carpet, the headliner, all the weather seals including the window fuzzies, new interior handles for the windows and doors and load of other stuff.

Here is a short vid that I did last year just are it was primered and shot a guide coat. It was a bit windy and had it had leak on the right side header which now has been fixed. Cannot wait to replace the OEM style mufflers and uncork the headers!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOe5_olcNW0

6. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

As promised from an earlier post. Here are some more pics with the back window glass now installed with the new rubber
    [​IMG]
    After laying down the new windshield on the table, it was time to trial fit the new seal and it just did not want to play ball. It took a long time to fit the seal and decided to keep it taped in place for a period of time to that it would conform to the contours.
    [​IMG]
    So it was back to color sanding the dash and then it was hand rubbed with some compound and ended up like this.
    [​IMG]

Smooth as a baby's butt
    [​IMG]
    Said to Gluefoot that the paint on the dash was cloudy, he just to went to far with the compounding that he turned the dash into a mirror LOL!!
    And finally a shot of the windshield installed and the car is now finally buttoned up.
    [​IMG]
    Funny thing is I was dead tired yesterday afternoon and did not really sink in until later today of what had been accomplished yesterday.
    Finished off reinstalling the interior metal trim that goes around the windshield this morning, had some lunch and and headed off on a 2 hour drive home.

Some things did not go to plan, like reinstalling the instrument cluster, the little red oil lens some how fell out of the cluster and do you reckon we could find the little bugger. Anyways I will just have to make one up during the week and install it next weekend along with a bunch of other things that still need to be done.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Started to put the dash back together, the ignition and headlight switches went back in, the air vent cables were hooked and all the new bezels are now installed. Replaced the burnt out exhaust manifold gasket and uncorked the headers.

Fired up the old FE and its now sounds really NAAAASTY! Will be taking a video of to record the aural delights, not sure how to capture the percussion waves coz this thing has been turned into a ground pounder!

8. grslms51

grslms51
    from delaware

really nice body style..the metal was awesome when you removed the paint..it's going to be one sweet ride...i have seen the gears in your t-10 many times,we used to run them back in the day..running high 10's in the 1/4 mile,with 13 inch slick..busted 3 time a year...a muncie wound make it about 5 runs,anyway.you have really nice car.

9. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Here is just a quick little of starting it up with open headers.
    The sound quality is not that great at the beginning/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaF8C95VLkA

In the meantime, changed out the old waterpump for a new unit that weighs 2 and half pounds more than the original. Things have slowed up a bit, there has been family commitments that have had to be taken care.

On thing is for sure, that every time I go to do something on this old car, it lets me know just who is the boss. I had to go with Gluefoot to go an see a fella that repairs tractors. Why, it seems that the mounting flanges on the replacement pump are twice the thickness of the original pump and you guessed it, the bolts were too short! So off we went this to place to scrounge up some longer bolts which we found on the ground. That's another story.

10. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

The under hood area need some attention as the rest of the car is starting look half decent. One area in particular really grabbed mine and Gluefoot's attention and that was the battery tray area. We were sort of shocked and stunned!
    [​IMG]
    Am really amazed at the condition as there was no sign of battery corrosion and the tray is really good condition. Here is a shot of the underside of the battery tray.
    [​IMG]
    Anyway it was on blowing all the sheet-metal from the firewall forward and ended up using paint stripper on the inner fenders.
    [​IMG]
    After it was given a couple of coats of black.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a shot of the underside of the inner fender.
    [​IMG]
    The underside of the radiator support panel.
    [​IMG]
    Stripped of all the sheet-metal.
    [​IMG]
    Had to do some prep work on the front part of the chassis as well a cleanup of the suspension and firewall.

11. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Here a few more pics of it starting to get back together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. sololobo

sololobo

Man your guys don't mess around, I love this car and the very informative pictured build. My pal Malcolm had a 62 2-dr post that I loved and am sad he sent it down the road for a new project. His had that multicolor ass kickin interior also. A ton of excellent work on that baby and a real tasty job. I really dig those sweet 427 headers. Enjoy my friends! ~Sololobo~

13. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Wowowwowowowwow!!!!!!!!!!!
    Did i mention wow! Nice job

14. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Thanks for the kind words, I love Malcolm's old 62, in fact I have a bunch of pictures of it and am green with envy that he drove it to and on the salt flats at Bonneville.

15. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Here's one that was at the West Coast Kustom's Memorial week-end in Santa Maria.

Attached Files:

16. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

That car is just stunning.

17. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Its been awhile since my last post, my father in-law Dennis was diagnosed with lung cancer in April and he fought this dreaded disease with all his might and it took his life on Tuesday 29th of June.

I got back to working on the car yesterday and I have to admit it was good to get the radiator and fan back in the car. It just sounded wonderful idling away ruppity ruppity rup through the open headers. Checked it for fluid leaks and none were found and was finally able to trace where the fuel was leaking from the center carb. A couple of gaskets and Gluefoot will reset the floats and that part of the project can be signed off.
    Got a few more things that need to be done in the engine bay, like new valve covers and giving the block and heads a lick of paint. The plug leads are going to be junked and fresh leads will go on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The weather has been the coldest and wettest for 14 years and will have to wait for things to warm up a bit before the final coats of clear to go on.
    It is just one of the things will have to put up with as we don't have the luxury of a paint booth.

18. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Awesome work keep the updates coming. I feel your pain about the shitty weather, i have to push mine out of the garage to work on it haha.
    will be keeping an eye on the thread :)

19. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Thanks Ryan,

Thanks Kev and Ryan for the comps.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  20. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

This is the coolest! It looks just like how I'd do one myself! By the way, this is starting to look a lot like the one that was on ebay a couple years ago, it too was blue, same interior and similar motor with some old 60's style wheels. It had a teardrop scoop on the hood that looked real good too. Great job!

21. S.F.

S.F.

i Cant believe how solid that car was...wow

22. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Me too:):):)

23. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

WOW. Great thread. Nice to see your progress pics. We all like those alot. Cant wait till its all done. Sorry to hear about your father in law.

24. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Awesome! looks like it was a good body!! Cannot wait to see it with the new color and shoes!!!!

25. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Sweet ride and nice work but, I have to ask don't you have to convert to right hand
    drive to street the car in Oz

26. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Your skills are really good man! Love the car!

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Just read this whole thread. I'm amazed at the condition of the car as you got it. Way better than a "barn find":). Glad you've taken so much care in reconditioning this one as it is truely a rare specimen, one that you can only dream about finding. As sorry as I am about it leaving the U.S. it certainly fell into the right hands. Keep the updates coming, you've got a real sweetheart there.

Frank

28. ham-boned-ford

ham-boned-ford

Thats a sweet ride. I had a Q code a few years back that I sold to a buyer for Jackie Jones (old Ford Racer) It was Red with Red interior and a white top originally. I did it in solid red over red. It had the 3 speed with OD and was also a socal car. Was reported to be a fire chiefs car as ordered new.

29. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

In my state of Victoria, we have a regulation that states if a cars is more than 30 years old, it does not have to be converted to right hand drive.

30. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your good words, this car means a lot to me as my brothers have helped me with it. The car was originally offered to my older brother, he knocked it back as he just bought himself a really sweet 64 Galaxie. I did some quick research on the 62 when he emailed the pics. I just knew that I had to have this car. It was on epay which I found after I had googled the vin, you have to luv the internet.