Register now to get rid of these ads!

my 54 ford project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

2. choptvan

choptvan

I have. Just wanting to see what others have. Couldn't hurt you know?

3. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I will see if I can find a pic of the desoto grill I have in mine. IMHO its the best looking grill for these cars, either a 53 0r 54 one. one has round blinkers and one has rectangular blinkers, both look amazing!

best one I could find was really old......

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  4. choptvan

choptvan

cool! Anyone else?

5. choptvan

choptvan

OK fellas... gettin to the grille in the next few days. Anyone got some other ideas....

6. Been loving your build updates. Glad to see the trunk "fixed". :rolleyes:

Here is my stock grill narrowed and floated. Still need to finish the stainless around the grill opening.

Attached Files:

7. choptvan

choptvan

I love that! Very simple clean. But now I feel that I would be stealing it... I was thinkin of just removing the teeth out of the middle of it as well as having the bullet gone. i wonder how that would look.

8. I have a picture of a shoebox with a 54 grille with the bullet removed at work that looks sweet. I'll post it tomorrow. Got and extra 54 grille laying around?

9. choptvan

choptvan

Got one more.... show me what you got!

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

sooooo much better without that trunk stuff.

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

55 Ford stainless will take care of that,try member Whisky Runner he has some Fords He is parting out.

12. I like this grill without the center bullet.

Attached Files:

13. choptvan

choptvan

ooh damn. Looks nice on that car. I am unsure how it will look without the wrap around ont othe fener though.

14. I think by incorporating the small turn signal, it might look ok. I have an idea in my head. I need to go to Pike Peak and ask him what he wants for the hood the upper grill pieces and dash off that ex-gasser car...

15. choptvan

choptvan

yes you do. before I do! HA HA!

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If you have a front view of your grill I may be able to remove the bullet and teeth. Come to think of it, a doctor once told me something similar after I had a disagreement with my ex-wife!:eek:

17. Loose the bullet in the center and smooth the seam/bolt holes. Leave the "wrap-arounds" on and call it done. would look nice!

18. choptvan

choptvan

the wrap arounds are gone. Looks very close to yours actually.

19. choptvan

choptvan

HAHAHAHAHAAH!!! That's wrong! But so damn funny!

I already have the front all torn off of it or I would furnish a pic for that reason. Will see what I can find later.

20. choptvan

choptvan

So I got the doors, decklid, fenders, quarters all done. Ready for primer. I am in the middle of the filler work on the repairs from " fixing " the mess on the deck lid I made. Also stripping the hood down for repairs as well. Hope to have all of the filler work done tomorrow and in primer by friday after noon.

21. choptvan

choptvan

shooting primer this afternoon for sure. I hope to have update photos tonight.

22. What's taking so long..... hehe

23. choptvan

choptvan

FFFFFUUUUCCCKKKKK!!! I ran out of primer. You can see right through it. The worst part is, I only have $50 to my name right now. But on the bright side, I got the new decklid primed, skirts primed, headlight bezels repaired best as I can, and the doors primed. For the most part, the body is primed as well but you can see right through it cuz it is so thin. Found some air bubbles in the body filler to. I even used glaze coat. Just missed those spots I guess. Not a perfect paint job, but it will do. For my first real try, I am mostly pleased. Pix later. Got to get back out and clean my mess.

24. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I don't have time to read the whole thread right now, I'm on a borrowed computer, but *man* does it look like you've really made something out of nothing!

It was really fun seeing the build pics.

Are you shooting metallic and is this the first car you've painted? It looks a bit like this sour apple green metallic I got by Kirker from smartshoppersinc.

The reason I ask is because I've never painted a car before, and I'm apprehensive about shooting bc/cc metallic for a first paint job.

I really like what you did to cover the gas filler door. I was expecting a fuel cell and welding a piece of metal over the hole or something! hah

Good to see you took the easy way out! ;-)

thanks for updating the thread

25. choptvan

choptvan

Yes it is my first car. First time with metallic as well. I had a few issues, but nothing to big. Just remember to keep a good overlap, stay consistent, be careful, plan ahead. remember, everything will go wrong, and you should be fine! No really. Ask anyone that paints. That is the rule of thumb. Thanks on the complimets. I really need them right now!

26. choptvan

choptvan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am very glad that all of you talked me out of that shitty deck lid! Looks REAL nice now! I cannot wait to get that bumper back on it now!

[​IMG]

27. Hadn't caught this thread in a while. Glad to see you changed the decklid. Never second guess that decision. Way better now. Can't wait to see it finished.

28. choptvan

choptvan

thanks. If I can get my sewing machine fixed, i will have the headliner and trunk done soon. I have lots of wetsanding in my future now. I hope to be apraying paint by tuesday.

29. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

You are doing such good work and I too am glad that you had changed the rear.

30. choptvan

choptvan

Thank you. Means a lot. I think it is safe to say that everyone is happy I changed the rear.