Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my '53 Chevy truck project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65standard, Sep 25, 2011.

1. I will get the structural pieces tacked in with photos showing my process. Once you see how simple the cab is constructed, it will be less scary for others to follow.

2. dumbtruck

dumbtruck
    from Boston

Nice project, I believe your rear axle is from a mid 70 Jeep J-truck or wagoneer, 6 lug rear chevy truck axles whould be either 12 bolt or 10 bolt's depending on the year truck, also the axle would be considerably wider.

3. Sweet! cant wait!

4. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

X2...jeep fsj dana 44

5. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I know your pain as far as cab rust.....see my build thread you may glean a mistake or three that I made and not repeat it....good luck!

6. Thanks for the link to your build. I will read it all carefully.

7. Just Gadget

Just Gadget

looking good .... I need to get back in mine

8. some more updates today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. i also bought a 9" Ford rear end today from an '82 F100 with straight 6 and 4-speed manual. axle code is 15 if anyone knows what that means.

the dana44 with 3.55 posi that is in the truck now will be scrapped. it is free for the hauling if anyone needs it.

10. Looks like you're not hanging around on this build Tony, keep up the good work.

Can't wait to see that big old Hemi in there!

11. A few more updates. I have the cab corner spot welded in. I just need to finish welding at the butt splice. I also fitted up the outer cowl panel and laid out for the raised front fender mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. The bed, running boards, and front fenders will stay in their stock location on the frame. The cab will be channelled 1 1/4" down over the frame. That is why the fender mounts are moved up on the side cowls. The hood will be sectioned 1 1/4" to made up for the raised fenders.

13. shadams

shadams

Wowwwww.....very nice!!! Thanks for the pics and motivation, it will help a ton!!

14. LUXLX

LUXLX

I think I've found my new go to guy for insperation! Well done...lookin forward to your progress.

I even like the pivoting third wheel idea.

15. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

Holy Hell! I will now feel inadequate in all I do from this point forward. I'm going back to the Por-15 thread where I can feel like I can do something. This looks amazing.

16. I picked up a big housing 31 spline 9" ford rear end for the truck. The dana44 was scrapped.

[​IMG]

Here it is after I stripped it.

[​IMG]

The truck is getting bare.

[​IMG]

I finished filling in 40 some holes in the firewall. I kept only what I needed for the wire harness, speedo cable, vacuum line and cowl vent drain. All other holes were welded up. Today I will start modifying the outer cowl to raise the fender mounts 1 1/4".

Stay tuned.

17. pottsie454

pottsie454

Great work on the patch panels. Im still learning to weld, I need to start practicing spot welds.

18. Here is the patched up firewall. Filled 40 some holes.

[​IMG]

And I raised the fender mount 1 1/4".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I added a piece of metal at the bottom.

[​IMG]

19. finished the left side cowl with raised fender mount. started to fit the door. things were way out of wack. i had to use the port-a-power to spread the opening 1/4". i am still fitting the door. remove some metal form one area and then add some metal to other areas. it will fit much better than originally when i am done with it.

well here is where i am so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. orula

orula

You're doing a great job and the replacement of sheet metal parts on your truck as good as new. Compliments!

21. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

WOW, guess you really do know your stuff-------
    I'll be watching too. Nice work.

22. Thanks for the good words. I am just about done cutting out the right side. I should get it done and start fitting the new sheet metal today. I am having second thought about the gas tank. Since I am narrowing the rear half of the frame, I might just leave the gas tank inside the cab? I guess I won't weld up the filler hole just yet.

In a few weeks, I should be done with all the cab repairs. Then I can make a cradle for the cab and set it aside to work on the frame/chassis. I have a nice 5' x 20' one inch thick steel table at work that I will use as a frame jig. this will be the easiest part of the build for me. I will box the entire frame, use the Heidt's front crossmember and Chris Alston ladder bar rear suspension, a narrowed 9" ford with 4.11 gears, Detroit locker, and 31 spline moser axles will complete the chassis.

23. gsport

gsport

i just love these build threads.... good job Tony

24. finished cutting out all the rusted panels on the right side of the cab.

[​IMG]

seamed the floor at the seat riser.

[​IMG]

drilled out the spot welds and removed the rocker panel and then cleaned up the area for welding in the new metal.

[​IMG]

after fitting the rocker, floor, and floor brace to the cab, i welded the three pieces together.

[​IMG]

then i spot welded (plug welded actually) the section in.

[​IMG]

the bad part is the replacement panels are not full halves. there is a 3/4" gap between the left and right replacement floor panels.

[​IMG]

i still need to finish the hinge pillar.

[​IMG]

here is a shot of the new rocker panel.

[​IMG]

will continue more tomorrow...

25. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Tony, thanks for such great pictures...it really enhances a build story.

It is such a treat to watch someone who really knows what they're doing. I'm always impressed by the level of skill exhibited by many of the HAMBers who are kind enough to share their build stories with the rest of us.

Thanks to all of you for the consecutive pictures and explanations.

26. OneWrench

OneWrench

Looking great. Way beyond me. Still I hope you have a change of heart and not chop it.

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice work on the cab! I am looking forward to seeing your progress .

28. today i finished the hinge pillar and started to fill in the 3/4" gap between the left and right replacement panels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is the firewall/toe board with the gap. i started to form a piece to fill it in. the RH toe board is only stitch welded so far.

[​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  29. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

Great thread! It teaches me more every time I see it. Good work.

30. Today I got a small package from Heidts HotRod shop.