Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 52-54 victoria build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by voodookustoms, Apr 3, 2015.

1. image.jpg Hey guys, I wasn't sure if I'd do a build thread on here or not, but I figured I may as well since I'm already taking pictures of everything along the way, and sending them to my dad for suggestions too. He has been an upholsterer for 40 years, working mostly in southern california with some great car builders and featured in many articles and had upholstered many cover cars. So, it's been almost 10 years since I moved away and have been without a classic car. I finally had an opportunity to pick up this Frankenstein 53 victoria. It sat for a few years before I brought it to my place in California. I say Frankenstein because of the 3 piece back window from 52, the 53 dash and front fenders, and the 54 grill, engine and chassis. Here is was the day I brought it home.
    image.jpg
    Since then I have updated the distributer and oil pump to a newer style vacum/mechanical advance, rewired the whole car (with a rebel kit which worked awesome) rebuilt the dash
    image.jpg and cleaned all the guages, had the rear springs rebuilt, lowered the car 5 1/2" up front and about 6 in the back, and c notche'd the frame and shock brace. I've had the gas tank sealed, installed all new fuel and brake lines. I installed disk brakes up front from NascarDave with a new master cylinder and proportioning valve. My latest project was raising the wheel wells and transmission tunnel.
    image.jpg
    Edited:
    So I was kind of rushed when I first posted this, so I'm going to take a little more time and add some of the work that I did before I started this post. Here is a few more of the day I brought it to my dads place in phoenix, only to have it sit and get moved around for the next 5 years or so. IMG_3960.JPG
    IMG_3963.JPG
    And the day I brought it to my place in california
    IMG_6658.JPG

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. Reminds me of my pal Dave's confused 32-34 Ford pickup,,looking forward to updates. HRP

lothiandon1940 and voodookustoms like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent a couple of years riding in the back seat of one of those the same color that had a 312 Thunderbird special under the hood in the late 50's. Step father traded a 53/53 Mercury for it.

micamountain and voodookustoms like this.
  4. image.jpg
    image.jpg
    I thought it would be cool to be able to use the original radio again, so I took it apart and installed a bass volume knob hooked up to amp that I have my iPod plugged into. So I have a functional radio now. Also rewired the light to come on with the rest of the dash lights. Nothing quite looking out over a 50's dashboard cruisin down the road.

5. My 1st car was a 1953 Ford- forgot how pretty a 53 dash was- great job-

I'd take one like this- 52/53/54 would work for me- keep them guessing-

6. Thanks for the comments guys. Yes once I realized the difference in the dashes between 52-54, im very happy the 53 was used. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428122589.179591.jpg
    And I know this isn't the best picture, but just to give an idea of the stance, here is how she sits now.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428122689.190503.jpg
    I've also got these caddy caps that I want to install soon. I still have to figure out exactly how to adapt an outer clip ring to these. I remember seeing a thread on here once before.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428122774.939417.jpg
    And for anyone with the coker wide whites, they only come in 2 3/8" width and I wanted more, so I got out the grinder to give another 1/2" or so. I'm pretty happy with how they came out.

7. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Very kool!!!!!!!!!!!!

voodookustoms likes this.
  8. I dig it...cool shit from all the years

9. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Wow the stance is great! Those caps will look perfect. There are a couple of threads on here explaining how to adapt them to newer wheels.

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I had a '53 I miss a ton, and I've always loved the 52-54 fords. I can't wait to see what you do with it

11. Mark T

Mark T

Please give us more information about the radio modifications.

voodookustoms and young'n'poor like this.
  12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like the 52-54 Fords and yours' looks super.. They make great mild customs...

13. Sure. So I have an iPod hooked up to a crossover and amp hidden in behind my back seat. It was difficult adjusting the volume on the iPod as I was driving, so that made me look into different options. All I did was use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-AALC-Controller-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B003FPD3IS and took the controls and wires out of the case and installed it into the factory radio. It is a very similar control to the original volume adjuster so it actually fit in pretty good. I just had to extend the knob, which I did by epoxying the original adjuster Rod to the volume knob. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428164479.795751.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428164570.428126.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428164607.707705.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428164637.492020.jpg
    Now I just plug the iPod into the input wires and the output goes directly to the amp. Works beautifully. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428164756.506275.jpg

Stogy, 550Coupe, UNSHINED 2 and 5 others like this.
  14. Mark T

Mark T

Very cool, so I guess you could actually remove all of the factory parts from inside the factory radio except for the light.

15. I Ya you really could. You would have to mount the rest of the knobs on a false board or a plate because they are attached to all the rest of the internals. But that shouldn't be too hard. You could even epoxy them to the back side of the face plate I guess.

Stogy and Model T1 like this.
  16. Waiting for more progress

17. This weekend I had the radiator flushed out, painted and reinstalled.
    Also, it looks like the transmission tunnel and fender modifications I did helped with the rubbing. Shot a little video of me driving by.

Stogy, bryanyeskie, BradinNC and 9 others like this.
  18. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Awesome! You should also post up in the 52-59 ford group. Someone should make that radio set up a sticky, awesome job. Looks great cruising.

19. My current project is shaving the door handles. I've got the driver side all done. I'll be working on the passenger side next. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428496485.192884.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428496533.159295.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428496597.390419.jpg

20. Torchie

Torchie

Looks great.
    Seems like most people are using a beauty ring that fits their rim and Gluing it on to the back of the Caddy Wheel cover. There are at least a couple of posts on here and a good tutorial on the net if you google it.
    Torchie

Stogy and voodookustoms like this.
  21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Sweet car. I've always liked those, and 53's would be my favorite. Enjoy!

22. Squablow

Squablow

Neat car, sounds real nice too.

23. Thanks. Yes I think that's how I'll end up doing it. I've seen a few how to' son here. I'll save that for another day though. For now I have to finish the other door and rig up a safety cable.
    Next up will be headlights and tail lights.

24. Thanks guys.

So when I primed the drivers side door, I used a black primer, not thinking about what it would do to the temporary green paint I put over it. It made the green a very deep dark green, almost black looking in the dark. That bugged me, so I ended up scuffing it down and priming it in light grey. I got the passenger door bondo'd and primed in the grey also. I'll sand it down this afternoon and shoot it in the ford green. It should match the rest of the car a little better now.

Outback and Model T1 like this.
  25. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Yeah, well shave[​IMG]

26. porky55

porky55

Subscribed. Awesome car

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Cool thank you. I'll be posting more pictures soon.

28. Roger53

Roger53

Very nice looking old ford it's pretty hard to beat there looks and Merc's to of course. Roger

29. Thank you. Yes I agree. I think they are great looking cars, and the mercs too. They seem uncommon enough that you don't see them at every show like 49-51 mercs and the shoebox fords, but there are still enough around to draw inspiration from.

flamingokid likes this.
  30. PackardV8

PackardV8

Reminds me, just last week I saw a similar very nice similar Vickie sitting up in the woods in northeastern Washington and thinking some Ford guy needs to rescue it. (As a Stude guy, I can't touch Fords for fear of getting cooties.)