Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '51 Shoebox build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beyond static, Mar 2, 2013.

1. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I was in the mood to paint something, so I stripped the dash and sprayed it the color the car is going to be. I'll most likely paint the mesh part white since the interior will be maroon and white.
    [​IMG]

Got home from lonestar roundup a few hours ago, and had a little motivation to throw the 3" lowering blocks on the rear. It has a total of 7" of drop in the rear now. Once the gas tank, interior, etc is back in the car, I'm sure it'll settle another 1" or so.
    [​IMG]

2. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I've got a guy lined up Tuesday to come dustless media blast the remaining parts of the car. Once that's done, I can start making some good progress. I still need to tear into the engine and check it out. I'm hoping it's in decent shape internally since it was in the middle of being hooked up when I got the car, and they took the time to clean it off and paint it.

3. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Nice build. Funny thing, your car was the same color that mine was when it first arrived at my house. The first picture is were I found it, in the middle of a goat farm. Then the next one is in front of my house.

Attached Files:

4. EnfadosoS

EnfadosoS

Looking good!!!

5. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I'm definately not too fond of the color lol. My car was originally light green and repainted yellow some time in the '80s.

The weather didn't cooperate today, so the guy is coming to blast the car in the morning. I'm undecided if I want to paint the firewall white, or maroon like the car is going to be.

6. 4444Design

4444Design

lookin' good already

subscribed

7. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

What a small world!! Mine was also green! It was under 11 different coats of paint! But it was green! How funny. I stripped mine all the way to bare metal using those flap discs, funny how the different paints reacted, the last few, older, original base and primer coats reacted more like a goo that didn't really come off, it more or less just spead across the panel like peanut butter. It was the black and red colors that did it the most.

I plan to clip the front end like you did. What year truck did you get the clip from? Any problems or things you would have done different?

8. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I cut it off a '94+ body style truck in the junkyard. The engine was already removed, so all I had to do was unbolt the fenders and core support, and cut it at the firewall. All 2wd s10's share the same front suspension, so any year should work. The only thing I wish I had done different was Z the frame 1 or 2" to get a super low ride height. With the way it is now, I have to modify the lower control arms to get the car low enough.

9. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I had the rest of the car dustless media blasted the other day, and put it in primer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Looks good. If I would've blasted mine like that it would have disintegrated. Did you blast it in a park or do you have a reeeaalllly big yard?

11. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Haha That's my parents place. My neighbors would have been pissed if I had it done in my small subdivision yard. I only found a few very small rust pinholes in the bottom of the door and fenders. One of the fenders was bondo'd up pretty bad, but it's definately fixable.

12. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

I like it. Brings back memories, both good and bad, of my 51 build.

13. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

Lookin good! I like that red color that youre using

14. 68giddyup

68giddyup
    from El Paso

What year s10 front clip did you use?

15. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

It came off a mid 90's S10. All 2wd S10's should be the same.

16. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I've been tearing the engine down to replace all the seals/gaskets and upgrade a few things, and found that the engine was freshly rebuilt before it was put in the car. It's bored .030 over and is in excellent shape. Once I get the firewall painted and engine put back together, I can install it and start on the wiring.

17. Eric H

Eric H

Looks great. I clipped my Tudor the same way. I wish I had left the leaf springs in the rear like you did. Nice solid body by the way!

18. Car is looking great. In hindsight i might be sorry i didn't clip mine to but i haven't drivin it yet so i'll see what i get. Great project you have going on there.

19. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I made some decent progress over the past few weeks. My dad helped me check all the bearing clearances, ring gaps, etc. Everything checked out fine, and we put it back together. I couldn't find any maroon high temp engine paint in town, so I had to order some. The color looked maroon in the picture, but not soo much on the motor......

[​IMG]

So I ordered some POR-15 maroon, and used that instead. Came out a little better IMO

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I sanded the firewall and taped up the car, and sprayed it this morning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

looks good kyle

21. EBW

EBW

Damn that's clean!

22. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Thanks guys. It finally feels like I'm making some progress. I need to clean up the transmission, and then I can install it.

23. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

cant wait to see more pictures.

24. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Haven't done much to it the past few days. The carburetor came in, so I bolted it on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I put the engine/trans in place yesterday. Next up is wiring up the engine. Any recommendations on a good manufacturer for a harness?

[​IMG]

26. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Ez wiring. Or rebel wire.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Motor looks sick by the way.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. shoebox50

shoebox50

29. wallyringo

wallyringo

doing good man.

30. RR496

RR496

Looks pissed! Keep up the great work!