The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gsport, Mar 29, 2010.
He's got Chassis Engineering, me too.
Cool thanks I'm thinking of using the same one
Om my '40 Coupe,
I used the CE front end, 2" dropped spindles, 11" disc brakes, tubular A arms and welded it all in. That was 12 years ago and have never had the need to re-align.
tinker'n again... i just installed my new radiator yesterday, perfect fit but not completely hooked up yet. still need new hoses.. now wondering if i should paint it black, or not.. i'm thinking, being on a black car it may stand out too much....
What kind of engine-to-firewall clearance did you wind up with? Mine's super tight, but it just fits.
i've got plenty of clearance, about an inch at the head to firewall..
That looks like about where I wound up, too. Thanks.
do what you want to it.Your car, your money ,your enjoyment.
gorgeous old ride, very cool build
Go man, Go!
a little more up-date.... i've seen several of the tv shows that showed how to cut/shorten a driveshaft. so i gave it a try. they said 9 times out of 10 you wouldn't need to rebalance it, so we'll see when i finally get it back on the road...
What, did you cut it in the middle and butt weld it back together?
On the front end. I'll take a picture and post it later.
i cut just through the shaft, not cutting the 1" or so of the yoke that goes into the shaft. i cut it right next to the original weld, tap'd out the yoke, cut what i needed off the driveshaft, beveled the two ends, stuck the yoke back onto the shaft after making sure to properly align and re phase the two u-joints and welded... i used a portable band saw to make the cuts, but a reciprocating saw would do just fine too..
Nice looking old coupe. As for the driveshaft modifying.. Done several like that and haven't had any balancing issues. Granted, both shafts I built were in trucks that rarely saw 85 0r 90mph, but I towed and hauled and "mudded" on my home-made shafts with no breaks or wobbles.
the shiny middle is where i cleaned it up for the ground for the welder
i was reading the "screw dynamat" thread and decided to try it myself.. cheap and easy to put down. i'm not quite done yet, gotta go buy another roll and do inside the doors and maybe the roof..
a little more up-date.. no pictures this time. i'm in the middle of the rewire. under my dash it looks like spaghetti, lol.. i'm using an American Auto Wire harness. so far no complaints if you read the instructions word for word.. i'm about 90% done with it, just got to wire up some guages under the dash. i'm not using any of the original guages except for the speedometer because of them being 6 volts and i know the fuel guage didn't work anyway. i bought a new fuel sending unit with a new guage for under the dash.. i'll take some pictures when i'm done with the wiring and post'm up.
You said that my thread motivated you . Now I am expecting a new post or two LOL . Wiring can be daunting . I am tosing the idea to use all the wiring from the Caprice donor car and run the TB fuel injection . I know it will be a lot of headaches but I think I want it ??? Carbs are smelly and a pain to keep tuned properly . We'll see though . Andy..
Looking good Gsport!!!
What pedal setup you running? I'm wanting to put a 5 speed in mine and need to change to hanging pedals. I like the one you have!
lol.. hey Andy i didn't know you followed my thread.. i just came in from the shop. i got a little side tracked from the wiring and started putting the dash back together. i figured it would be easier to do the dash now rather later and have to work around the gauges hanging underneath there.. i'll post up some pictures tomorrow
thanks chaddilac.. i'm using a complete kit from Walton Fabrication. it was an easy install, totally bolt in. i'm not sure if he makes a duel pedal setup for a clutch, give him a call, he's a super good guy to talk to. he walked me through a little problem i had setting up my rack & pinion so i wouldn't have to use 3 universal joints..
If not, just pull a stock pedal unit out of anything with hanging pedals, 55-up Chevy. The G-van units are easier to adapt to an early dash with fabbed rod braces, but harder to come by in a manual trans unit. Even an S10 will work here though. If I had a preference, I would try and round up a 55-60 Chevy unit, they have some extra braces on the firewall side you can swap over.
Cool build! Thanks for sharing
Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad
i got a little more done today... got the dash put back together. i think it turned out pretty good. this isn't going to be a show car by any means, just a good dependable driver with V8 power... wiring is almost done, just got to mount the four gauge panel set under the dash, mount the fuse block and tie up all the loose wires... one day at a time it will eventually get done...
BrerHair... a little progress here. how's your project coming, havn't seen any posts on it in awhile
Dead in the water (for now) due to life issues. Will be coming back, maybe by spring.
Separate names with a comma.