Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 41 Ford Deluxe tudor build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hyvolt, Jan 5, 2017.

1. redzula

redzula

Looks good with the new shoes.

2. T42

T42

Love the way your 41 sits. I agree, it does look sinister...! :)

3. T42

T42

Ok...I have a slightly off topic question. My steering wheel is a POS and I am going to replace it. In the pic I posted, you can see the horn button wire (that I want to change also). My question is, where does it go?? I dont see the other end but would like to replace this wire and also be able to use the stock type horn button. Since we have several 41 Ford lovers in this thread, I was hoping one of you could enlighten me.... :)

Attached Files:

4. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I got ya covered. I have my new horn wire pulled through in the photo, but it's not landed either. Other photos show original plastic brown button, and a newer horn button i plan on using. Not in photos are the large spring used to keep the button "up". Btw you flattie lookin good. I hope to build a merc motor after i get mine on the road, and swap it in in time. 20180517_203447.jpg 20180517_203546.jpg 20180517_203613.jpg 20180517_203633.jpg 20180517_203648.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. T42

T42

I cant really see where the wire is exiting from the steering shaft? Im going to pull the steering column off today and get it figured out. BTW....Mine is not the flat head one....there are actually two different 41's being built in this thread.... ;)

EDIT: Ok...nevermind...I took another look at your photos and see that the horn wire is coming right out of the middle of the steering box cover! I have run a chaser wire thru my steering box and it came out in the center hole of the steering wheel. Perfect! Now just have to hook up my new wire to the chaser and pull it thru. Thank you! My old wire was broken off and I never thought it would just exit out of the box. You would think the wire would break after all those turns with the steering wheel.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  6. T42

T42

Thanks Hyvolt for the horn wire info. I have the new wheel installed and the horn works great!

Attached Files:

7. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Glad to see you got the new wheel on. About the flathead comment, i guess i mentally combined a few threads! You have the small block. Its good to see ya back with an update.

Im stuck waiting on some parts and wiring a 55 chevy 210 for a little project money. 20180429_190044.jpg

nunattax and brEad like this.
  8. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Fogot to add, for the horn wire i had some ultra fine stranded test lead wire. About 14 guage.

9. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

After an extended wait, i received my cluster this weekend. Looks remarkable. Life has got busy so i may not get it installed and wired till july. Seat rebuild kits are supposed to ship friday, also about 3 weeks behind. 20180611_092256.jpg 20180611_092302.jpg

Cosmo50, nunattax, LBCD and 2 others like this.
  10. T42

T42

That looks great! I decided to go with digital gauges, but I had contemplated on using the factory cluster. Who rebuilt it and what was the approximate cost?

nunattax likes this.
  11. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I had Williamsons Insturments rebuild it. I hate to quote price, cause i had some changes done. Amps to volts, oil pressure and temp details modified, and a custom speedo cable. It was more expensive than a set of aftermarket guages, to me well worth it.

nunattax, LBCD and The 39 guy like this.
  12. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I guess im nit that good at keeping up on the build here, but i am now driving the car. Made the first 50 mile trip last night after battling what turned out to be a ignition coil problem. I will get back soon with updated picks of my progress. I had one of those inner victories when after 2 years the drives smooth, stops straight and quick and handles the highway right. Gotta say i love the bw overdrive. 65 to 70 tachs aroud 23 24 hundred. I was able to sid back with 2 fingers on the wheel and enjoy the ride. Worth all the effort it took!

13. T42

T42

I guess I'm as bad as you with updates...lol. Mine is on the road also. Did the whole week of Crusin the Coast here on the Gulf coast of Mississippi. Put about a hundred miles on the 41 with the only problem being an electric fan starting to make noise, so I replaced it an no other problems. I'm not real happy with the way the paint job came out, it was over a hundred degrees in my garage when I did it. I will be repainting it now that the weather is starting to cool off. Here's some photos of the pretty much finished product. BTW it is for sale for $10k firm. My new project, a glass 32 Ford Cabriolet body, will be ready by the first of the year. :)

Attached Files:

razoo lew and patmanta like this.
  14. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

After some driving, my flattie has reveled to have an oil addiction.

So not wanting to be with out a car this summer, I found another core.

I found an 8rt engine that looks good, so the tear down begins.

Right now my thoughts are a well hidden turbo system. I know I'll probably lose my traditional card, but we'll see where it goes from the planning stages.

It's already sitting with a .060 bore, and almost no wear, so I might have found a decent starting point.
    20181209_203413.jpeg

brEad likes this.
  15. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

You already have what is probably the best front axle ever made! Why not use the original axle and have it dropped by one of the Hambers that advertise here. They might even have some thoughts about how much of a drop is practical on a '41. Keep on working--your car will be neat when finished !

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax likes this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

id expect the original to be made from better quality metal than any speedway offering

17. T42

T42

Oh my....too good for speedway? I will have you know, Speedway sells a very good product and has been a trusted hot rod parts supplier for many years....;)

18. T42

T42

Well, my 41 story has ended....She's on her way to California.

Attached Files:

19. LBCD

LBCD

Is it going to SoCal? If so I’ll look out for it! Nice build!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. T42

T42

Thanks! It went to Lake Elsinore.....where ever that is... ;)

21. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Glad to share a build thread with ya! What is your next project?

I am gearing up for a flathead build, and today I scored 2 more blocks and a mechanic fan mount.

My goal is a turbo flathead with a blow through carb. I don't know how much I'll post here, and I don't do well with keeping up on the build anyway.

Been buying more fabrication tools that I've previously had to borrow, so going for first rate job.

Tuned up my old vertical metal cut band saw, dialed in the cold cut saw, and about ready to pull the trigger on a plasma cutter. Still debating between a Hypertherm powermax 45 xp or the Miller 625. Have used both at work with no trouble out of either one, but I have never had to pay for any of the consumables.

20190302_174729.jpeg 20190302_174819.jpeg

22. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

brEad, ROCKER77 and walter like this.
  23. koolbeans

koolbeans

Damn nice...My Dads car when I was born in '43. Lots of trips to Venice Florida from Washington DC....two lane us1 or 301, tamyammi 41.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. T42

T42

Yes...it was fun doing both builds at the same basic time! Love the way yours turned out too!

I already have a deposit on my next build, but Im afraid it's not HAMB approved...lol In the past I have only built hot rods out of original steel. Im tired tearing everything down just to start a build. Then there's the rust and sometimes fixing what some one else did...etc. Well I already have deposit on my next project and should be ready to be picked up in a few weeks or so. It's a fiberglass 32' Ford Cabriolet with 3" chop and laid back windshield. Also got a nice NEW 32 frame to go with it. Gonna be so nice to do a build with all NEW stuff! Never built a glass car before, but it should be fun. The body is by countylinerods.com. Heres a pic of one of their bodies and the chassis Im getting from them. The last pic is kinda how I want to build it.

Good luck with your new flat head projects. Sounds very interesting!

Attached Files:

25. birdman1

birdman1

the 8.8" rear end from an explorer was plenty wide for my 1939 Ford Deluxe coupe.

26. T42,. Your picture of the new body on the stand has door hinges. Photos on web site have no hinges?
    Does this Cabriolet come with roll up windows installed? Does the top fold down? Or is top a lift off.
    Just wondering as I've not seen this product or dealer previously. Thanks.

Phil

jim snow likes this.
  27. T42

T42

It comes with electric windows installed and the top is a lift off type. I ordered mine with doors and trunk lid hung and latched. Should be ready in a couple weeks or so. Cant wait! I've already started buying parts....;)

28. T42, looking forward to your build. Are you going to have a thread here?

Phil

jim snow likes this.
  29. T42

T42

I would like to, but I thought fiberglass cars were frowned upon in the HAMB..?

30. I think you are ok if the build looks "traditional". Place emphasis on the traditional elements of the build and don't bother mentioning the body material.
    There are a lot of us here with bodies made of alternative materials, who consider our rides to look traditional.

Phil

jim snow likes this.