Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '37 Pontiac fired up for the first time!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool37, Jul 19, 2008.

1. olskool37

olskool37

I have been fighting with the Chevy 250 I-6 in My Pontiac, for the past couple of weeks, only to go home disapointed each visit to the Garage. I'd replace a part, and try.. replace a part..and try. It would sputter, but would never run.

BUT NOT TODAY BUDDY-O!!

I figured the only questionable part in the equation was a like new, but used coil I decided to run with, so I decided to replace it with a Accel Super Stock unit... (chrome of course)... And see if that'll do the trick. I got to the Garage, and installed it, readied to run, but still same results. I then figured its time to pull out all the stops, and go totally radical with the movement of my Dizzy, and started turning it in increments counter-clockwise. I would turn-try to start-turn-try to start, several time. Each time it sounded better, and better. I finally turned it so far the diaphram was up against the block, and couldnt turn any further, noooo... its soo close!! I looked, and studied the situation, thinking if I could only move the cap just a little more, but being fastened to the distributor housing that wasnt happening. Then before I could finish the thought, it hit me like a brick! I cant turn the dizzy, but I can index the wires on the cap one position counter-clockwise, and return the dizy to its original position. I did this, one by one, and jumped back in the car... pumped the gas once or twice...turned the key....

And the flippin thing fired right up!!!!

I laughed my ass of in an emotion I cant describe, maybe like having a kid or something.... not sure... but it was great. A try or two later, with slight adjustments to the distributor I was able to have it idling on its own, with out any of my help, and then I tweaked the dizzy once more to "even it out" I tell ya that glasspack muffled exhast tone will never sound sweeter than it did today.

Now, I just have to throw the fenders back on, a few small details and Im hitting the road!

I have pics, and a soon to be uploaded video of the car running on my MySpace page check it out... J.

www.myspace.com/rockabillyrodz

2. olskool37

olskool37

37 Pontiac V1<br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=38889961,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=38889961,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. Congrats! I miss my old 37 Poncho. Love the styling....art-deco for sure.

Attached Files:

4. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Before you throw on the fenders replace those bald ass tires on the front of that thing

5. olskool37

olskool37

Yeah, Im due for some new rubber, these are just for rolling around and test drive, nothing permanent