Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '26 Roadster / Vintage photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Nov 12, 2008.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

I know...I can see it all in my head now ...... assembled and ready for the body :D

I'm excited for that too!

2. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Just keep your eye on that picture of the finished chassis. I bet it will be better than you thought ! Going to be one bad boy.

Dave

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. MrModelT

MrModelT

Oh I will...and I certainly hope so! Once I get the final assembly going, it will start looking really cool with all the detail paint, clean hardware, cotter pins, safety wire and that brand new fresh...and oh so sexy new motor :D

I can't wait!

4. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Now there ya go ! Keep on a pushing. That May deadline is coming with a vengeneance (nah - you can handle it).

Dave

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

I think I can....but that May deadline still worries me. Will I make it? :confused:

...I know I will but it still nags...:rolleyes:

6. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well Buddy, there's a whole bunch of us pulling for you!! I CANNOT wait to see this all put back together (and I hope to see it in person in August!!)

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

I'm pulling for me too! ...got allot of work to do! Hope to get all the rest of the detail painting stuff done tomorrow night so I can get the chassis final assembly done this weekend :D

8. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Hope you have a good weekend for finishing the painted parts and then on to assembly ! Getting me all excited ! Love to see a fresh frame all detailed to the 9's !

Dave :D

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

You should have your first look at that new, fresh chassis Thursday morning... ;)

10. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

11. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Doing some errands on Thu AM. Will sure be checking out your progress in the PM ! Looking forward to the shiny progress.

Dave

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    Final Assembly...

It has begun.....FINAL ASSEMBLY of the chassis! Got the rest of the little stuff painted and set into assembling the front end. Just got a few more thing to tighten and some cotter pins to put in and its done. The rear suspension will come apart Saturday, be painted and go back together.

If I'm lucky.....I might just be able to get something done on the engine too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned!

13. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, The assembly BEGINS ! Don't freak if you have to do some small touch ups. Fact of life. The slip of the wrench , chips from the road as you travel, etc , etc , etc.
    Will be looking great when it is fully assembled. Keep on keepin on !

Dave

14. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

This is the fun part!!!! I can't wait to see the progress on this!!!!!

15. MrModelT

MrModelT

Agreed, on both counts! I can't wait to see this thing come (back) together again! ...and I'm not afraid of a little touch up work. ;) :rolleyes:

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*​

Final assembly continues....

Well, it's not staggering process...but I think I did pretty good for Easter weekend. Got some more stuff assembled and painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stay tuned for more!

[/CENTER]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  17. Kume

Kume

Looking great Clayton !

I am loving the spray can black .

I see that you and bugsey are both looking at modifying your windscreen posts. I am still looking for a pair for my 26 but was wondering what you had in mind re shortening , retaining the hood bow bolts etc. What was wrong with the pair you had on previously?. There must be a critical height where a soft top remains functional or becomes completely ridiculous.

Kume

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Kume! :D

Well, I basically want to repair my old butchered posts and put the correct tops back on them to that I use the correct top mounts. The posts on my car were crudely shortened with a hacksaw years ago and I tried to get them level and clean them up, but they still look like crap. They also eliminated the post tops:

[​IMG]

These act as the mounting studs for the forward top mounts. These will be a necessity when I replace the current top with the more correct, modified '29 Model A top assembly.

The new posts will give me the chance to build a nice set of correctly cut down posts with the right look and mounting posts to help finish the car.

I do not intend to change the windshield height or look, just want to make it correct and replace the Dodge Bros. frame that does not fit right.

I plan to cut the top of the post off, remove the upper section and graft the upper top mount peg to the lower frame mount location to make a pair of short posts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  19. Kume

Kume

Thanks Clayton

Great info

Are you saying that a Model A hood frame will fit the 26, 27 T roadster?
    You also mentioned you have an A hood on your T - is this a good fit?

Apologies for all the questions.

Kume

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Yes, but I think you might have a little mix up here. When I mention the "frame" I am referring to the stock '26-27 Model T lower windshield frame I now have to replace the incorrect '26 Dodge Bros. frame I have installed now. This will finally give me the correct windshield.

The Model A Roadster convertible top is a very close fit and the same look as the current one, but it has the correct stamped and riveted style top irons with the wood bows, fittings, etc. It will however need to be shortened and narrowed a bit to fit my T best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and it will have side curtains:

[​IMG]

As for the hood...I do have a '28-29 Model A hood or "Bonnet" on my car. It is about 4 inches longer then a '26 T hood so the body was moved back on the frame to compensate. That gives it a much longer nosed profile and gives it a really nice look...

[​IMG]

21. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

Anybody want to race?

Attached Files:

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

Sure, I'll race ya.....just gotta finish my car first :rolleyes:

23. MrModelT

MrModelT

Wow....Holy crap!....Finally hit 50 pages! :D

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton. Ther "T" is looking to make another appearance in the Little Pages ! - Wow, maybe another cover and 6 to 8 pages of detail shots ! Maybe one dirt flying brody !

Going to meaner than ever . . .

Dave

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

You know it! I would love to have it in the Little Pages again...after all the work I've done, gotta update the photo shoot :rolleyes:

It will have an AWESOME spread in Antique Auto Enthusiast for the Bonneville run...that will be killer! :D

I would also love to see my T in The Rodder's Journal...doubt that will happen, but one can dream :rolleyes:

26. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    Rear axle and Suspension is FINISHED!

Well it is official, assembly of the rear axle is COMPLETE! Last night I got the Rocky-Mountain brakes figured out and mounted, hubs on and bolted in place and the shackle assemblies, spring and all hardware bolted up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During the rear shackle re-design, I moved the R-M mounting "horse shoe" outboard, between the rear radius rods and the brake drum backing plate for additional clearance for the rear shackles. This put the band axle stud too close to the spokes of the wire wheels. To correct this, I cut the stud down a hair, re-drilled the cotter pin hole... (this picture does not show the new hole...only the old)

[​IMG]

...cut down the band stud guide hoop a hair and flipped the linkage around to clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This compromised nothing and all is well....I have plenty of clearance and everything works.

Stay tuned....this weekend should be BIG! ;)

27. SaucyNordicTart

SaucyNordicTart

Looking good hon, not bad for the short amount of time you had last night :D xoxo

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

Agreed, I'm quite pleased with the progress I made in so little time.

29. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Julia and Clayton, The work you got done in a short time is quite a feat. That is quite a bit of very detailed and time consuming labor. Love the rear suspension. Those rear hangers are just beautiful. Love all the little things that make your roadster all the better. Also, your roadster is my friends favorite color - BLACK !

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more progress updates.

Dave :eek:

30. Jalopy Banger

Jalopy Banger
    from Sweden

Rustyrod,Your car look GREAT!!!